Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Side Imaging Screen Shot - Video  (Read 15362 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Side Imaging Screen Shot - Video
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:26:44 AM »
Side Imaging Screen Shot - Video

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=206

Humminbird Side Imagine Screen Shots in a video. Have added some text boxes to explain some of what is being shown on screen. Hope it helps some people to undertand how Side Imaging Sonar works.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Side Imaging Screen Shot - Video
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »
Hey Fitzy

Great stuff mate. as you know I dont have a boat (YET!) but this new technology sur edoes open up a whole new world.

Can I suggest that should anyone with LOWRANCE pics, please start another post and NOT hijack this one.

I am sure the guys on the forum who have HUMMINBIRD( and Lowrance) sounders will appreciate their own post hey!

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Pete

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 93
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:51:44 AM »
I recently spent some time at home on pc, viewing a 45 minute recording from a local lake (recorded by a local with a Humminbird- he also downloaded the software for me and showed me how to drive it. (Thanks Trev B), 
*Software called, HumViewer. You can learn a fair bit from just looking at the recording on the bigger screen. The features attached to the software, (and possibly on the unit itself) enable the viewer to measure lengths of images, shadows and the like to get a better feel for distance, sizes and position in the water.  A few days before that, another local angler ( Scott Mc) invited me on board and we spent a couple of hours touring the lake and searching. I changed my tune in one afternoon and identified the possibilities of using such a unit effectively, whether sounding, at anchor, or in a lake or at sea. I think some of the images are 'too little, too late', but considering 2 weeks ago, I wasn't keen; I now am!
One local has both, Lowrance and Humminbird and he leaned toward his Humminbird for a number of reasons. Some, quite obvious, but I imagine each brand will improve as time moves on, but it'll be with Humminbird where I place my next order. Lowrance have had my business for a while, and I did get trapped at one stage, but that's another story.
Johnny Mitchell

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 06:41:32 PM »
Fitz,

Great pic but again I need a lesson in side scan imaging,

I understand this pic is in 2.8m of water, is this two fish to the right or one fish and its shadow, I understand the pic shows the bottom out to 7.2m either  side of the boat (10-2.8m ??) but again how deep is the fish in the shot and how wide of the boat is it,

One further question, I'm still thinking 2D imaging and understand that side/down scan is better when the boat is moving however if the boat is stationary, and a fish is suspended how does it apper, if it is sitting in the beam does it still appear as a line (similar to an extended arch across the screen in 2D......thanks again for your help

PJ