Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Colleges Crossing, fun with the kids 4 1

Author Topic: Colleges Crossing, fun with the kids  (Read 6796 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 59
  • Liked: 7
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Freshwater
Colleges Crossing, fun with the kids
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »
My planned trip on Sunday to Cressbrook had to change as the missus hadn't finished her Uni assignment and I was on kiddie duties :)

Decided it was time for my 3yo daughter to get addicted to fishing, and my 13yo son was keen as mustard. Kept it very simple, 2 bags of prawns, a rod each and we headed down to Colleges to see what was happening.

Conditions were perfect, on and off overcast (took the heat out of the sun) little wind and a slow outgoing tide. Noticed a few yakkers getting around.

Catfish and other tiddlers were the order of the day, along with a nice little bream my son caught, he was stoked. My daughter caught her first fish ever, and backed it up with another 4, including one she caught entirely by herself bar the initial cast out, I think my planned worked :)

It's a great spot to take the kids, we had bites every cast, and the rigs were simple, small ball running sinker down to a swivel, 1mtr leader to a 1/0 red baitkeeper hook all mono.

One of the best parts was my daughter landing a fish on one of my oldest rods (20yrs glass jobbie) and the alvey reel on it was her great grandfathers, made of bakelite, still doing it's job, gotta love that :)

Below are some photos of the fun, highly recommended spot for the younguns! We landed 25 fish all up :)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Colleges Crossing, fun with the kids
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »
A great effort & congrats for your daughter.. a special moment getting her first fish on her own.  :Clap)

Thanks for the report.  :thumb

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 3
  • Serial lure killer. :-)
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: S.E.Qld Dams and rivers
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »
Great stuff buddy.My exact plan for this Sunday.Low tide is 7am at brissy.I'm guessing by the time mrs ,kids and I are organized and drive there it'll be about 9 iish.I hope we do as well on the incoming tide.
I just hope my little bloke catches something.
The last four outings we caught nix,& he's getting a bit despondent.I told him that's fishing,& the TV shows fish for hrs and only film when they've got a fish on.He'd be happy with a cattie but really wants to catch a bull for bragging rights at school.I'd rather not.haha.Thanks again for your post and hopefully we may have pics to put up sun night! :-)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
Nice :) I went down to the ramp, and then to the left as you hit the water and was about 20mtrs along, just before it curves back around. Seemed to be a lot of action from that point. Just a standard cast distance out, didn't have to go stupid. Keep the sinker as light as possible for the tide and you should definitely get something. I had slightly defrosted my prawns about 2 hours before we went fishing, that helped with getting them on the hooks and for the nibblers I reckon.

Using the mono, I found the best way was to just let them bite at it and not jerk it out of their mouth. When I felt a solid hit I would just lift the rod, not fast, not hard, just lift, and bam they would be on. Quite a few times they would just nail it, but often, they could be biting for 20 seconds before hookup. If the bites stopped, rebaited :)

Look forward to your report!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
Geezz.Thanks so much for all that info.I haven't been there before but even Iccouldn't miss a boat ramp. :thanks
I've got 20lb mono due in the post today.That should be big enough for anything except a bullie?
You'll be the first on the thank you list!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
I reckon with 20lb mono you could handle a bullie if you put a wire trace on it. I used 12lb on my alvey and that worked flawlessly :) One of my rods had only 6lb mono and still brought in everything it hooked, stretch can be a wonderful thing at times!

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »
Just rig up one of those damned barred grunter as a livie, that should temp a bully...
seems the buggers have escaped en mass from Somerset and Wivenhoe, probably during the last floods.....the little buggers will be everywhere soon. :(

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 09:22:54 AM »
Yeah?Riverhunter on here reckons theyre good eating if u dodge the bones.I just hope the young bloke lañds a nice little bream.At least i know u can eat them.haha.