Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Quick Introduction/Fishing Report! 5 1

Author Topic: Quick Introduction/Fishing Report!  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 4
  • Big Barramundi Fan!
  • View Gallery
Quick Introduction/Fishing Report!
« on: January 08, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »
G'day everyone,

Firstly I hope I'm doing this right, first time...  I Have been on here for quite a while wihtout posting anything, partly due to the fact that I haven't fished much freshwater lately, just before Christmas though I did manage to get a bit of freshwater fishing done so thought it was about time for an intro/fishing report!

After watching the latest AFC barra round before Christmas and some motivating discussion the following week at work, a workmate and I decided we would head out to Kinchant Dam (Lake Kinchant) before work the next day for a quick session to see if we could scratch the itch of recent days... 

We started fishing just before the sun came up and it was a fair while before we saw any action, my workmate had the first inquiry of the  morning over some shallow water.  He was using a homemade lure that he was yet to land a fish on after dropping five good ones so the pressure was on!  Not long after he sent a cast in to a likely looking weed edge and had not been working the lure for long before it was whacked hard!  After battling through a fair amount of weed the 97cm fish was landed (after I nearly botched the net job, I think I'll get a bigger net before targeting these again...) and he was ecstatic to land a fish on his latest homemade creation.

I had been using a popper all morning as we were only fishing in 2m of water at the most but hadn't had any interest so I switched to a squidgy boof frog which I've had in the tackle box for a long time but never used...  We took advantage of the wind and started drifting across a large shallow weed bed as I raced the boof frog across the surface, I must say the speed at which this is worked seems very unnatural for targeting Barramundi but I guess the results speak for themselves...  Once my GoPro died I knew for sure that I was going to catch something, always seems to be the case!  Five minutes later I saw the most spectacular strikes and first run I've seen from just about any fish let alone a lazy old impoundment Barra!  I battled the fish for 10 minutes or so on my 2010 Daiwa Certate 2500 loaded with 20lb Sunline and 40lb Jinkai leader, once it came to the boat I called it for a metre but fell 1cm short!  Coming in at 99cm it was safe to say I was pretty pleased with the result none the less! 

With one fish each we decided it was time to put the boat on the trailer and head to work...  Not a bad way to start the day!

Well that's the fishing report side of things done, just a quick intro now before signing off.  I've grown up in Mackay, Queensland and fished the local and surrounding waters for as long as I can remember.  We are blessed here with fishing options and one that I am looking to explore more thoroughly is impoundment fishing for the mighty Barramundi.  Hope you all like the report, I can't seem to attach photos at the moment but I'll put a couple of links to my freshwater fishing videos below and post some photos when I figure the photos out... 

Cheers!

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Quick Introduction/Fishing Report!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:51:20 AM »
G'Day Kappa,

You sure are in God's country. I fixed the links for your videos (you need to grab the full URL for our software to embed them)

Been meaning to hit Cattle Creek on my next trip thru, is it worth a shot or are there better spots around Mackay to chase a sooty in the kayak?

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
  • Big Barramundi Fan!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
Ahh thanks for the tip on the videos mate.

Cattle creek seems to fish pretty consistently for decent sized sootys.  If you're after some real monsters though I like to head North and fish the tops of some of the creeks/rivers closer to Proserpine.  For some reason they seem to be consistently bigger up there...

Sooty are crazily abundant around this area though so you shouldn't have any trouble getting onto a few!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 108
  • -Receive: 102
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Wivenhoe Dam
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »
Excuse me while I wipe the drool of my chin