Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Mini Spinnerbaits  (Read 14657 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
Mini Spinnerbaits
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »
I have been working on a very small Spinnerbait design for a couple of weeks.  Light enough to use on the fly rod with the idea of chasing Bass in the shallows.

Has anybody had success with a design of these ?

I have got it down to 4.5 grams, casts, but not teriffic.  Yesterday I had a trip up past Linville to give it a run as there is no clear water near me.

The only fish caught was a fork tail catfish. I had forgotten they take lures.

Better than none of course.

BG

Be kind to the Natives.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Mini Spinnerbaits
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »
I've done well using Spinster flies for bass & saratoga. Will look in the fly box to see if I've got any there still for a picture. I got Shaun Ash to tie them for me years ago on worm hooks.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
Storm used to do a little spinner bait called a rocket I think, deadly on bream. Heavier than 4 grams though I'd reckon, about 3cm long by high I'd reckon. Still got a couple in the shed somewhere.

Get some strange looks when I tell people my PB bream was on a spinnerbait!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »
These are still being tested at the moment. Trying to get more movement from the blades.

If some one can give me a brief outline of how to load photos on a blog I will show some shots of the components that were used to make one.

In the meantime I will keep testing.

BG

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 09:37:50 AM »
G'Day BG I've been fiddling around with the same idea over the last couple of weeks and have tied and tested out two different styles of "spinster" Vampires. Getting the weight right to have the fly swimming "upright" seems to be more of and issue than keeping the weight down as that is relatively easy. I first tied one up with a short arm (like a conventional SB) angled up over the top of the hook point made out of doubled 40 lb single strand SS game wire. This was thread wrapped to the underside of the hook shank,up through the eye then angled back over the point. It ended up constricting the hook eye size too much so I put a small split ring through the eye and secured it with thread and superglue. The small colorado blade was fixed via a ball bearing swivel and small split ring. The blade revolves nicely on the drop and retreive. Only problem is it sinks blade arm first so the fly swims upside down. Tied under the shank should fix this but I was hoping for the arm to act as a weed guard of sorts too. I was able to cast this off my #4 weight last Monday on the water from my yak with a little difficulty but off an #8 weight there should be no problems. Most of my bass fishing is very close quarters so long casts are generally not required. I tied up the 2nd one to fix the problem of it swimming up the wrong way and tested this yesterday but appears to be a failure. The blade refused to spin on the drop and not very easily on the retrieve so I think a small arm e.g. 20-25 mm is needed to get a good flow around the blade for its best action. More research required. Cheers Pat.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »
Having a look at the 2nd fly now I reckon half the problem is the way the ball bearing swivel is fixed. The way the water would flow over it would mean the swivel is side on to the current meaning the swivel would be pushed against the side of its casing causing friction not allowing free movement. If the swivel pointed directly backwards with the current passing along its length this would stop the friction mentioned and especially if it was swinging off a split ring allow for directional changes such as stripping. A short arm and a split ring I think in this under shank arrangement should be the go. Pat. PS just for a laugh here's a large one built for Cod on a #4/0 - probably need the #10 weight to haul this mother !

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »
Interesting info there.  I am running into the same problem with the SB not travelling upright.  Wants to lay on its side.

I will tell you the materials and the process I am using then try to load some photos of the tests so far.

I am using SS welding wire and it looks like .9 dia.  Hollow plastic tube instead of binding them off.

Split shot for the head, squeesed in the vice then hammered to give a flat to apply the eye.

Note; The return in the wire that holds the hook is encased in the tube and also is incorporated in the splitshot. Stops the eye moving.

On this section of tube I do my binding of feathers. fur, glitter or whatever.  Split shot is coated in nail polish with the eye applied before the last coat has dried.

With the blades I am trying to reduce the weight.  Tried 1mm aluminium then plastic and now tinplate from jam tins, hammered to give a concave shape.

When the water cleans up I might be able to see the performance a little better.  The red tube could be a weak point if a Cod hits it, but it is all fun hey.

Gordon

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 162
  • -Receive: 27
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: anywhere theres water deep enough
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »
tied up a few spinster flies for the first wivenhoe convention a few years ago - all I got were catties
tied using 60deg jig hooks and small spinnerblades and a bit of lead wire to give it a bit of weight

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
Spent a couple of hours on a very productive little stream yesterday with these small spinnerbaits and didn't get a touch. 
Two factors that I can put it down to are the lack of action from these small blades. (Compared to a large spinnerbait).   And with a baitcaster or spinning reel I can place the spinnerbait right on the snag. 
Back to the drawing board I guess.

BG

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
In my opinion you must try Colorado blade,it is designed for the maximum vibration . Using heavy vibration fishes can be detected from the long distances.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Diamond(JB)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »
Bout the only way I can see you even having a realistic chance of getting it to swim upright is by using lightweight(plastic) blades but i reckon that would reduce their effectivness. Also fromm a tinkering and design point of view I completely get it but from a fishing point of view it would just be a pain in the ass.Be an absolute nightmare to fish on anything resembling enoyable gear.