Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Awoonga and Competitions  (Read 21454 times)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
Re: Awoonga and Competitions
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 08:56:16 PM »
I won't lie to you... My times(2 weekends) at M were not very succesfull with two dropped fish.  This going to Awoonga is more about going somewhere we haven't been and experiencing something new.  Also we have the one window my Bro and Couz can do it so there it is.

BR65:   I guess you're dead right, the fish in M haven't gone anywhere  ;)
The "The Promised Land" is all just a mirage if you take the time and read some articles I have found.  I like JM's attitude and no doubt all the other guides as well in that this is hunting and it should be approached that way.

DP:  I am guilty sometime chasing the bass to adjust the tactics too often so will be keeping an eye on it this time ;)

Cheers 

Geoff

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »
Interesting dilemma (Awoonga.... the promised land or Mondy)  - 

Awoonga is fishing better atm in addition to the higher stocking levels  -  but the comps will clearly limit your opportunities for your own space and choices of locations........ mind you the ABT results were outstanding last year with record results -  so that flys in the face of the boat traffic putting the fish off  ....... I guess with the higher water levels too - you'll have more space.  -   So dont discount "the promised land"  - Accommodation could be the issue!

Mondy will give you greater freedom -  there is certainly plenty of space to do some exploring but finding the fish can / is a challenge atm   - they are there alright  but spread out with the higher water levels. .....

If it was my choice - I'd go Mondy ...... it's due to come good

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 07:00:10 PM »
Most ignorant bunch of $$#@% Ive come across that ABT mob. Will quite happliy roar within 3 metres of you, when your anchored or drifting, at full throttle, cut ahead of you on drifts you have spent half an hour setting up etc etc.

The football hooligans of the fishing world. I'd find another dam.

Pretty unfair comment  -  I cant think of many ABT barra anglers that would fall into that category  .......... sure having a lot of high powered boats heading off at the start is a bit of an issue  -  but most are extremely courteous when fishing

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »
Interesting dilemma (Awoonga.... the promised land or Mondy)  -

thought youd like that.
Agree re the ABT fishos as well, those I know who paticipate have ettiquette and consideration at the forefront

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »
Pretty unfair comment  -  I cant think of many ABT barra anglers that would fall into that category  .......... sure having a lot of high powered boats heading off at the start is a bit of an issue  -  but most are extremely courteous when fishing

Chris

Of Course, I appologise - I'm mistaken.

Not like these blokes at Mondy in the first pic were hogging the ramp for filming the loading and unloading of boats for over an hour so no one else could get a shot at the ramp.

And I'm sure the 3 blokes in the second picture had just really heavy motors that sunk the bum of their boat,and the big chop splashing on their bows made it look like they were exceeding 6knots within 30m of the boats queued at the ramp.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 11:33:42 PM »
Of Course, I appologise - I'm mistaken.

Not like these blokes at Mondy in the first pic were hogging the ramp for filming the loading and unloading of boats for over an hour so no one else could get a shot at the ramp.

And I'm sure the 3 blokes in the second picture had just really heavy motors that sunk the bum of their boat,and the big chop splashing on their bows made it look like they were exceeding 6knots within 30m of the boats queued at the ramp.

Well filming a TV series happens every day  -    ? ........ specially at such a massively busy ramp like Mondy

As for the start of each ABT event ........ its certainly low speed till you pass the starter  - then off you go ........ I'd love a boat that could go 0-30knts in 30M (are those boats on the plane ????)

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 08:05:36 AM »
Yes your right Nagg TV filming does take place everyday but normally what happens is that a notification is posted saying that a particular area will be out of use between the hours of yah da yah da. Its not normally just locked off with no notice so people are unable to use it, if thats what happened in this case its poor form.

The bomber

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 94
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Stuarts Point, NSW
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »
that was 2 years ago.  that was the afc filming.  can see your problem but they would not be at the ramp for that long....

are these the abt anglers you have concerns with, forward it to the abt.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
Ive never personally come accross any big tournoment fishers, But every dog has its day now fulla's  ;)

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »
I'm pulling the pin that week- Norfolk Island.

You wont be dissapointed Johnny, Norfolk is a very interesting place to visit. I lost 3 big running fish in 3 casts of a halco 25gram slice off the rocks on the southern end of the island.
Fishing aside, the place is full of interesting history. Enjoy.

Randall.

PS..... definately do the progressive dinner thingy. You will meet some great locals and get to hear some interesting facts.  ;) The fish fry is another must do. Also, work on your "passing another car wave"  ;)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 06:51:25 AM »
Whataway?
Yorle gwen ruma morla?
The quaint Norfolk lingo - a blend of pidgin and gaelic Welsh will be easier in the ears than all that the fish frightening vroom vroom.
The faster they travel and the more they've to say, the less likely is is they've ever been in water much over their heads.
Spent some happy days at Norfolk back when island hopping through the Pacific.
You never quirte knew what you'd pull up next.
The locals are pr-occupied with red throat emperor - called trumpeter over there.
Rosy job fish - king snapper here - were amongst the jig hitting surprises when one tried something different.
Check out the state of the art tackle...back then, that is.
JM & party: have a great trip, everyone.

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »
Thanks Randall,
 A few yarns have been told about their 'wave', so we'll keep our eyes peeled. The progressive dinner has been second and third recommended so we'll be onto that like a dog on a Kununurra dinghy. I can't wait for snooping about the place- push bike I hear!?
Thanks Harro,
It'll be a hoot- and yes we are goin fishing- it wasn't my idea, but I'm not saying no.
Cheers.
Johnny

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
Guys just wondering if anyone has been and or stayed at the Boynedale Bush Camp.  Would this be a good option if there are gonna be lots of people on the lake this weekend?  I see that it is first come first served so obviously no guarantees but what do you guys think.  I'm just thinking there might be less traffic there and more water since the dam filled up and might help to avoid the crowds maybe ?

Cheers Geoff

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 03:42:17 PM »
Guys just wondering if anyone has been and or stayed at the Boynedale Bush Camp.  Would this be a good option if there are gonna be lots of people on the lake this weekend?  I see that it is first come first served so obviously no guarantees but what do you guys think.  I'm just thinking there might be less traffic there and more water since the dam filled up and might help to avoid the crowds maybe ?

Cheers Geoff

Hi Geoff

My last two trips to Awoonga  - I stayed at the bush camp and loved it ...... certainly you can get away from the crowds and there is now a huge area to explore (awesome)   
Just remember that you need to be self sufficient up there (water!)

Certainly a good option

Chris

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
Oh No.....

Looks like the weather at Awoonga is gonna be raining and raining hard.  Well that is what the forecast on the old I-Phone is saying.  First we lost our boat owner so we are down to two and now the weather.

Apart from the possibility of being miserable standing in the rain all day(a previous trip to M saw two days of heavy beating rain) what is your experince of fish activity during these periods.  From everything I have read generally they might shutdown a bit and things get a bit tough ?

What do you guys reckon

Cheers   :thumbsup