Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: New to Freshwater fishing  (Read 8572 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Conjola & South West Rocks
New to Freshwater fishing
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:50:43 AM »
Hi everyone, after living in the Riverina since 2008 I thought it was about time I got out there and did a bit of freshwater fishing. I have only ever done saltwater fishing around Ulladulla, South West Rocks and worked on a pro tuna boat off of Eden when I was 19.

I am entering the Yamaha Cod Classic and since it has been 7 years since I have even been fishing I need to buy myself some new gear. I am after a new Rod, Reel and other tackle. I only use Shimano Rod & Reels and have only ever used spinning reels other then game reels.

I may be buying a Baitrunner which I have always used for the Estuary & Rock/Beach Fishing but I would also like a baitcaster but not sure what one to go for.

I like the look of the Casitas, Citica & Chronarch range of reels.

Also, I have been reading a few mags of late and the Balista Lures and Spinnerbaits seem to be the way to go, what are peoples thoughts on a good range of lures to go for.

Any feedback will be most welcome, thanks.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: New to Freshwater fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »
The thing you get from reading Magazines is that you learn who is paying fishos the most to plug their products.  If you are going to the Cod Classic you will find plenty of Aussie lure makers selling their products.  I can recommend Bassman Spinnerbaits and Australian Crafted Lures who will both be there.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I have been told gangster spinnerbaits are good also.

Have also seen the balista lures work well.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 05:49:43 PM »
Chronarch are nice, but maybe more highend than you need, look at the curado's good honest work horses, for cod, probably think around the 4 to 8kg size, length 6 foot trolling or 7 foot if casting. (Just a bit more casting distance for the bit of extra length)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »
Chronarch are nice, but maybe more highend than you need, look at the curado's good honest work horses, for cod, probably think around the 4 to 8kg size, length 6 foot trolling or 7 foot if casting. (Just a bit more casting distance for the bit of extra length)

Thanks for the reply Binder. I posted a similar question on a facebook group and a few people recommended the Curado and raider cod mauler.

I have priced the Curado I and Chronarch CI4+, there is a $100 price difference.

I have never used a baitcaster before so if I don't like them the extra $100 would be a waste of money.

Offline Member

• Cod Classic
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Mulwala / Daly River
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:12:41 PM »
Aussie

Look forward to having you at the Cod Classic.

You are entering a whole new world of "fun" if you are gearing up for freshwater / native fishing.

Lure choice is endless but those you have mentioned will all be at the Cod Classic.

Gear selection?? Shimano's vs Diawa is equal to Ford vs Holden, ultimately you pay for what you get. Personally Shimano's are a poor mans Diawa!

My big pet hate with shops selling baitcaster reels is that most sellers have no idea themselves how to use them properly. Make sure where you buy if from gives you PROPER lessons on how to use them and actually  let you cast it.(back of shop / side of shop -wherever) The reel must suit the rod you are using and also fit your hand.

If you are in the Mulwala area before the Cod Classic sing out and Ill be more than happy to teach you cast............ properly!

Cheers TB

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
I'd be looking at closer to 5' than 7' for casting in Mulwala.  Long casts buy you lots of problems in the shallow flats there.  If you can accurately cast two boat lengths you'll catch fish.

Offline Member

• Cod Classic
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »
Aussiebasser. :walkplank

I'm going to have to slightly disagree with you there on rod length. 5'6" was seen as a standard length for baitcasters 5 - 20yrs ago but with new technology, baitcast rods in the 5'10' - 7ft range are alot easier to use depending on you fishing application.

Personally I was the same for many years - 5'6" rod, 6kg, short single handed grip but after a bit of experimenting with different outfits my favorites are around the 6ft - 6ft3" mark.

Each to their own I suppose but when I get you in the boat next time your down Ill have to convert you and take you to the next level!!! :youbeauty

Cheers TB

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »
You can try mate, but it'll take some doing.  I've found that longer rods give more benefit to the fish than to the angler in heavy snagged country.  Anyway, that's a debate that requires beers and a fire.

Offline Member

• Cod Classic
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »
Egzaccary! Beer / Ouzo - Fire and true stories  :thumbsup

Cheers TB

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 12:21:49 PM »
Good on you Aussie.

The Cod Classic is an epic comp. Stacks of unreal prizes and you get to meet plenty of people. Fantastic weekend that I lock in year after year. Most accommodation places get booked out pretty quick so get on it. :)
I own a CI4+ light spin reel and the drag is fantastic. I'd hope this silky drag transfers to their baitcast edition as Shimano baitcast drags used to be awful (sticky). I've also owned a few Curados and they are good value for money. Baitcasters are difficult to master for the first time but they are excellent for casting once you get going. As Cod Classic/TB says, get someone to show you the ropes with them and you'll love it for lure casting.

Rod length is also personal preference but I'm with TB here and have found a sweet spot as far as accuracy and distance goes with a 6'3" baitcasting rod. I own a 6'6" long handled baitcast rod but the 6'3" is much more accurate - for me anyway. Also, no need to cast along way. Remember, most cod only need to go a meter or two and they're back under their log so if you need to retreive 20m of line, they can be home by the time you get a couple of cranks in. :) Although I'd be happy to open drinks around a fire to discuss TB and AB? Ouzo does give me special 'bull knitting' powers. ;)

The Cod Classic setup on the footy oval has a bunch of lure makers with displays so bring more money than your wife will let you. Spinnerbaits are excellent lures because you can regulate the depth easier than a diving lure when casting but diving lures troll way better so get both in a range of sizes. As most know, lure colour and choice changes often but I've had success on red/black, purple, white and.. plenty of others!
Make sure you buy a lure retriever and some brickies twine!! Absolute must as the joint is laced with logs.
There's a boat up for grabs for carp too so pack some sweetcorn and have a bait fish while you're having lunch or something.

TB may be able to provide more info but from the Cod Classic stats I've seen from past years, plenty of cod are caught on bait too. Bardi grubs, worms, shrimp and cheese.

The ramps are busy so get to them early. The boat launch/retrieval process is pretty good as are the ramps on the lake and river considering how busy that weekend is. You just need a bit of patience and help out those that look like they need it. :)

above all, have fun!