Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Small Creek kayak???  (Read 34006 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Small Creek Yak???
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »
Another option is the Dirigo. The one in the pictures below (foreground) is a 10 foot 6 model, but the 12 footer is definately better. I'm enjoying fishing small water more & more from sit ins. Better storage, draw less water & can store rods / gear under decks so they're not getting hung up in trees or broken. A lower profile in the water also means you can sneak under over hanging trees easier than sit on tops.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 09:09:31 PM »
Good point JohnV, I agree about having some paddling time in the yak before going fishing in it.  I've got a mate who did the total opposite when he first got his yak and came unstuck losing lots of his gear in the process.  So do you have a recommendation for a Sit in or Sit on ?

SB8

John has an awesome sit-in that he made himself.
If you want to have a play in a sit-in give me a yell.  I can give you a shot in mine and probably pinch a little bloke's Venus for an afternoon as well.  You can't buy something until you try it mate.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 01:27:24 AM »
So do you have a recommendation for a Sit in or Sit on ?
Definitely a sit in. Sit on should be reserved for rocking horses and other playthings  8)  ::) If I was gonna get a new sit in the Dirigo 12 paddles like a dream. Probably the best rec kayak around.
Ducking now. cheers John.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 11:59:44 AM »
Have always had sit ins myself currently a Perception Minnow, my second one of these, though this is a very small kayak only 9' but I am only 70 kilos wringing wet.
The advantages very stable, easy to manouver in tight streams, easy to portage it is very light, when fighting fish you can lock your knees, rod can be stored inside, with a skirt fitted dry and with some practice you can eskimo roll if you tip over and you dont lose anything. Have a removable rod holder mounted inside the front of the cockpit made from a 90 degree bit of pvc pipe from an old pvc pipe chair. A mate of mine has a sit in Emotion(not sure of model) that is a bit longer, he is 90+ kilos set up the same way. The disadvantage of this set up is the limited amount of gear you can carry for overnight trips . Had a paddle of both Dirigos at the convention and liked the smaller one.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
The fish bandits are a great yak, just a little narrow in the cockpit (which some small yaks are) so if your more than average beam across the bum they can be uncomfortable. I've got  2 of them, wife loves hers, as does daughter.

My favourite small yak is my old Ocean Kayak seabreeze, but its an old model and the newer ones are much narrower (even narrower than the bandits - actually they are very similar to the bandits in layout).

My pacer is very similar to the seabreeze,and a good yak,but just does not cut it against the seabreeze, a little more tippy, doesn't track as well, and to be honest poorer build quality by comparison (although at half the price, still very good value!).

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
I got a Tarpon 100 and think it's great. I went from a sit in to a SOT and am very glad I did.
When it's really hot I can sit side saddle casting at a snag with my feet in the water to cool down a bit  :D

I'd recommend taking one for a test paddle before discounting them.

Brad

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
I am watching this post with interest.

I too am on the market for a skinny water yak but oh so many to choose from.

The easiest to get on and off are sit on tops and for novice yakers and the experienced, perhaps the easiest to get comfortable in/on.

Be prepared! this yaking phenomenon is highly addictive and whatever you get first up  will see you looking for something else to fit other circumstances later on perhaps.

I have two sot's one for surfing and fishing and the other for touring, camping and fishing and now I am looking for a very lightweight fishing yak most suitable for cold water, that is a sit in, I prefer not to get wet when it is zero outside.

Take note of all of the above suggestions, they are all good and testing is the best judge and those that can offer a test paddle in my mind  often offer the best service and backup also.

I am sure you will  find your yak soon , be patient.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 09:42:02 PM »

When it's really hot I can sit side saddle casting at a snag with my feet in the water to cool down a bit  :D

Brad

Can do that in a Dirigo pretty easily as well. Big cockpit was handy for that. I like the way I could still chuck a leg over to turn the kayak side on when I hooked a fish or just wanted to cool off. Then like Pam said, its about staying dry in the cool temps. I like keeping the sun off in summer so sit ins give me shade on the legs.

Horses for courses tho. Recon for small water I'll be moving permanently to the sit ins & keep the sit ons for that wavey, frothy, rusty, smelly stuff that can't be drunk.  :P

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 08:20:03 PM »
Can do that in a Dirigo pretty easily as well. Big cockpit was handy for that. I like the way I could still chuck a leg over to turn the kayak side on when I hooked a fish or just wanted to cool off. Then like Pam said, its about staying dry in the cool temps. I like keeping the sun off in summer so sit ins give me shade on the legs.

Horses for courses tho. Recon for small water I'll be moving permanently to the sit ins & keep the sit ons for that wavey, frothy, rusty, smelly stuff that can't be drunk.  :P

fitz..

Yeah each to their own hey. The most important thing is that the individual is comfortable with what they have for reasons that suit them.

Brad