Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: The Kayak Fishing club trip over the border  (Read 10816 times)

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
The Kayak Fishing club trip over the border
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:03:41 PM »
Well what a great weekend, like last year the trip was attended by a small group of kayakers to find some some river bass. The forecast had turned a lot away but with a whole lot of investigating and search in the rivers most of us did manage to score some bass.

I arrived Friday afternoon and set up camp at the caravan park in between the showers that were passing through the area. It was a wet afternoon but I was keen as mustard to get to the river and try for some bass. There was a wind howling across the mountains and as I said lots of rain passing through. I headed up the river to discover the water had become very dirty from the last few days rain. I had quite a few touches but no hook ups and I was becoming wet and cold so I gave up and headed back to camp. For me to catch bass on the weekend I would change my tactics or find some cleaner water.

So I went back to camp and settled into some beers with the rest of the folk. Pete and friend, Glen, Jayson and I were there and later in the night Denis arrived from the Gold Coast. This was to be our fishing group for the weekend and we managed to make it a great weekend as always.

Saturday comes and the alarm is going off, I hit the road and head to a spot to find some cleaner water. Jayson was there too and he manages to catch a bass first on one of his home made lures.  Jayson has recently taken up the hobby of making timber lures and he is totally addicted to it. He fished the whole weekend using his own lures and caught many bass.

Jason with his first of many on his purple lure

The area we were fishing in was very snaggy and the light was now high, although Jayson had caught his first while the lure was on the surface before he dived it into the depths I decided to put on a Betts spinner with a cut down 3" Slider Bass Grub as I had a local tell me before the trip that they were the go. As Jayson was using a purple lure and had caught anothe one I decided to put on a junebug colour in the slider range. After a long session of casting at snags I finally caught my first one for the weekend.

The Slider grub worked eventually, a small model comes aboard

Everywhere we went there were stacks of these Fella's

I continued the morning casting using the Betts Spinner, due to all the fresh water in the system the fishing was slow, the water was alot clearer but the fish were few and far between.

Here's Glen

Jayson casting to the edges

Frustrated after fishing a few hours without hardly a touch I moved to an area I fished the previous afternoon. The water was extremely dirty but it had a long run of over hanging fig trees onto the river and now as the sun was high it was casting a shadow directly under the trees.

Check the shadow under the branches

The trick in this spot was to get in close to the trees and position the kayak just outside or slightly under the edge of the tree line. As It was late in the day and the there was still sunlight showing through these shaded patches I chose to use a shallow diving lure, in this case a Lucky Craft Bevy Crank and as Jayson had been having success with a purple lure I chose one that had a purple back as well as having a very bright underbelly. To my surprise a had some short success with this pattern. Initially it was very still in the area, but after a while the weather turned nasty with a wind storm over head and persistent rain. The good thing though was that I did extract three fish here, two in three casts and a fish that was half a center meter short of my PB river Bass of forty two center meters. It was a good fish with the fish pulling me and the OK Scrambler into the trees during the fight..

42 cm of river bass

Away it goes, notice how dirty the water is!

Another one from under the trees

Same fish, out of the net, I caught this one, two casts after catching the first one !!!

Another one from the overhang

As I said the conditions were turning nasty and the stomach was starting to rumble so we headed back to the cars. On the way back I nailed a cast under a small overhang right on the bank, I reckon I must have woken this little fella up!

A hungry little bugger!

Back for lunch and a recount of our stories, Denis had gone further down stream and had caught a few off a weed bed on a deep diving crank bait. Pete and Glen had also caught a few in their spots. During lunch we spoke of driving the cars further upstream and fish a new spot. Pete and his new found friend decided to stay at camp for an afternoon nap and we all headed off.  On arriving at the launch spot we had lost Denis, a quick phone call and he said that he had found another section of river that looked promising that he could not drive past so Jayson, Glen and I headed upstream from our new found spot.  This area was very snaggy with sunken timber every where. I thought I was going to be on a hot session as I caught a tiny bass after my third cast. But is was not to be, although the water was clearing up it seemed the bass were off the bite.

Another small bass to my count

We worked our way upstream to the first rapid and turned around and headed back to arrive at the cars around  five thirty. Towards the end of the session we all picked up some fish, average size river fish, all good fun.

The rapids....

This had me buried in the Snags

Back it goes

Another feisty little bass, again I had to dig this one out of a deep snag.

So it was back to camp for the Saturday night, compare stories and relax at the Gazebo. We could have had a fire that night as it was not raining but we were not enthused and just sat around and talked fishing and other topics. Denis had found his way upstream from his launch spot and just before dark caught six tiny bass from one mid water snag on deep fly, I would have loved to been there to see that.

We were all pretty fried after fishing for most of the day. I ended up with eight bass and was happy with my efforts. The Scrambler was perfect for this style of fishing and I am absolutely loving it. I think its a kayak I will be fishing from for a long time as it is so perfect for this sort of fishing.

After a few beers, some yarns and a hot shower I was off to bed to try the next morning. I woke up Sunday morning feeling refreshed and ready to go in search of some bass again. On arriving at my launch spot it seemed some other locals were keen to search for the bass too and the waters had to be shared. The bass weren't biting, Jayson soon joined me and he caught a couple small ones but that was to be it for the day.

So I went back to camp, packed up a wet tent and gear and made for home. On the way home I ran into Peter at one of the launch spots and thanked him for organising the weekend. He and Glen had faired a little better than me and had caught four bass...

Overall it was a sensational weekend, yeah there was a bit of rain, but I had a warm bed each night and the bass seemed to turn it on when you found some...

The Campground

It's a beautiful part of the world, so green.

Here I am with the 42cm, the fish of the trip

Cheers

Sel

Stacer Proline Angler 399 - Yami 30hp 4str
Hobie Outbacl
Hobie Revolution 11
Hobie Quest 11

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: The Kayak Fishing club trip over the border
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »
Thanks for the great report ! some nice standard of fish as the wild bass everyone seems to be landing latly are hard pressd pushing 30cm. Great to hear the Scrambler 11 is going great ! picking mine up on friday and am pretty excited !

Still trying to work out what part of the world your at there but oh well thats fishing.

Thanks again !  :thumbsup

Steve

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:51:33 AM »
Nice to read of some action on a pretty creek Sel.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:58:40 AM »
A great report Sel, thanks for posting.   :thanks

A beautiful peice of the world, I haven't been there for donkeys, its got me half charged to go explore that area a bit (when I get time  ::) ). That's good fishing mate, looks like the gang had a good trip.  :thumbsup

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: around Sunny CQ
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:28:22 AM »
Great report and Snaps Sel. Looks like a nice place.

What brand of rod holder assembly has Jayson got in his Yak in that first photo? It looks like just what I need for my new Ultra.

Cheers
Jono

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 06:20:15 PM »
Great report and Snaps Sel. Looks like a nice place.

What brand of rod holder assembly has Jayson got in his Yak in that first photo? It looks like just what I need for my new Ultra.

Cheers
Jono

Jono

Jayson is in the Aluminium Trade, he makes most of the stuff he needs for his yak himself. Like, there is plenty of Kayak Fishing accessories available for most Kayaks, but Jayson takes them one step further.

At this years Wivenhoe Kayak Convention the winning kayak at the Show and Shine was an Ultra with a very similar setup. I'm sure the fella that owns that Ultra is a member here. I think its Sea Bear.. Maybe send him a pm ...

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 07:04:25 PM »
Looks like a ripper weekend Sel

Only wish I could have made it.

I need to get back down to that creek and have a look around soon as last time I was there it was still quite dirty.

Anyway good stuff again and has me primed to chase so wild ones again this weekend.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »
Awesome report as always Sel :youbeauty

Some nice fish and good company always makes for a great weekend!

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »
Great report there Sel. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Just got back from a trip to Yamba. Caught plenty of flatty bream, now for a taste of bass.

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
Nice to see you guys found some Bass Sel.
This weather is really making this season harder.
I'm starting to wonder if the Bass took a detour on their way back....via Timbucktoo!!!!  :o

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »
Thank you to everyone for their comments...

It was certainly a great weekend and a beautiful spot to have a weekend camp with a group of friends.

This is a typical weekend trip of the East Coast Kayak Fishing Club(ECKFC).

As we approach 2011 ECKFC is taking new memberships.

So if you are into Kayak Fishing, like making friends and enjoying getting away from it all, consider joining our club. The club has at least 4 weekend trips away during the year and in 2011 we will be doing more day trips for those who can't make the weekend trips away. Our membership is based in South East Queensland and we venture in and around this area.

For more information check out the ECKFC website here, www.eckfc.com

Cheers