Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Hinterland Backwaters  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Hinterland Backwaters
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »
Got a call from my son that the creek had dropped and was down to a fishable flow. Plus the water clarity was just about back to normal. He also picked up some salt for me for my pool, which was in short supply in brissy.

I arrived at 6am in the morning, took 30seconds to put my gear in the shed and was beside the creek by 5 past 6am. After a 100 casts for zilch I decided to go further down the road to another spot. Cast after cast for nothing, then the penny dropped. If I was a fish would I be in my usual haunts where the water was rushing by at great speed, no I'd be off to the side in the slower water or at the end of a rapid run where the water slowed down. I dont know why I didnt think of it earlier as I had done it hundreds of times over my lifetime.

Judging the situation I worked out that I needed lures a little heavier than my usual lures of sx40, atomic shallows and jackal chubbies to get the distance I required and to keep me in the slightly faster water. First cast with the heavier lure and I was on right away to a solid little bass that put up a good fight getting it in against the fast water. My luck continued for over a dozen of these simular size bass before they slowed down.

After lunch I headed off down the road in another direction to another spot I had fished regulary. I found the same situation here I had tofind spots where the water was slow as in back eddies undercut banks etc etc. I managed a few smaller bass here so decided to head back to my sons place for the arvo session. At the same spot I tried in the morning I found the bass a bit more hungry, they mainly come from the end of a long fast run down off some rapids.

Next morning I returned to the spot I done so well the day before only to find that group of bass had moved on or were not interested in what I was offering, so I headed off to waters I had not fished and used the same tactics as before casting to the undercut banks and slow water, this proved successful once again and I was licky enough to get into several more bass of a decent creek size. Biggest bass was 39cm for the trip with several bass in the late 30cm mark. Lures used were sx48,jackal tn50,strikepro mini toad.

Fish while you can
Dinodadog

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Hinterland Backwaters
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 06:42:34 AM »