Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Crack'in the 50!  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Crack'in the 50!
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:21:19 AM »
During the closed Bass season this year of 2011, focusing on fishing local haunts as such wasn’t paramount, spending more time leaving the rods in the rack at home with the intension of finding new ground to fish when the Bass season re-opened.  Again, with the utilization of maps and online satellite imagery, parts of these creek systems were marked to be later ventured within this closed season period. Launching sites for our kayaks were marked with sketched plans to reach the water edge through the thick vegetation, obstacles such as massive laydowns that stretched the entirety of the creek were also marked, not just for a destination to fish, but more to navigate our kayaks for portage over these obstacles prior to reaching them. Not knowing what to expect when you reach these destinations is all part of the excitement, anxiety and hype when the time comes to finally cast your first lure over these uncharted waters. The saying “It’s not all about the destination but the journey getting there” couldn’t be any more true.

Come the 1st of September it was time to put all the pieces of the puzzle together, this time with lures and rods taking pride of place in the kayak. The water clarity was exceptionally clear in most creeks with all the sediment created by the floods making its way downstream and settling to the creek bed by now. Not knowing the salinity of the water where we wanted to fish also was a concern as we found the water to be still quite fresh after localized rain periods when we were undertaking our reconnaissance trips early on during the year even though a lot of these creeks have still got tidal influences in the upper reaches. Now with a few months passing and little rain falling in this period we found the water to be quite brackish and other species found themselves on our target list, species such as Bream, Flathead and Mangrove Jack.

I've spent years targetting Bass in the upper reaches of creeks and rivers since I was a young fella where my passion first grew for targetting these freshwater species and it has only been recently that I have finally caught a 50cm model. To say I was extremely relieved and jubilated was an understatement.

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
Re: Crack'in the 50!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
Well done Dave, that what everyone should doing putting in a lot of research during the off season then when it opens you have a better understanding where you going to attack.
There some good looking bass in that group.

Ray :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 103
  • Liked: 26
  • View Gallery
Re: Crack'in the 50!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:45:09 AM »
some great fish for the research efforts!! good report  :youbeauty

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events