Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Wivenhoe Kayak Convention 2011 - feedback opportunity  (Read 30659 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Wivenhoe Kayak Convention 2011 - feedback opportunity
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »
Let's have the 2nd at Glenbawn Dam NSW. Won't be no takers for that will there. As it stands you blokes up there are grand slam winners so what more do you want. Fishin your back yard. Stick with the dam. Your still in front.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 06:52:32 AM »
Let's have the 2nd at Glenbawn Dam NSW. Won't be no takers for that will there. As it stands you blokes up there are grand slam winners so what more do you want. Fishin your back yard. Stick with the dam. Your still in front.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.  Maybe you're confusing this event with an ABT event where the anglers seem to lay more than Bass on the measuring stick.  This event is run by the Somerset and Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association and all proceeds go towards enhancing the fisheries under the Stocking Association's charter.  It would be difficult to convince the Stocking Group members to travel as far as Glenbawn to put on an event, even more difficult to get the local sponsors to support it.  All it takes is a couple of people with the get up and go to put their gonads on the block and start running a comp.  If it brings in more money than it costs, it's a success, if the competitors enjoyed themselves enough to come back next year and bring more friends it's even better.  I honestly don't see a lot of areas that need changing.  Turning this into a nation wide series was never the intention of the organisers, and the need to keep it a social event is very important, hence the high $ value prizes being more of a lucky draw.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 09:18:17 AM »
Yes Dale, I was joking mate. I know how much work goes into running the event. 

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
I have been thinking about the river side of things. No for me, because there are people who travel from interstate who don't get a chance to fish the river so where is the fairness in that. Stick with the same format that has worked. :thumbsup

I posted a reply to this last week and then deleted it and thought some more. My thoughts are the same as what I said last week. I have to agree with the fairness part of Greg's reply above.

Yep there are some big bass that have escaped into the river for sure but the comp has always been about the dam.

A lot of people travel to this event from interstate in groups each year may not be able to bring a kayak that is suitable for each separate location. Easy for locals who live near by with not far to travel and ample space on their vehicles and able to have a kayak suitable for each location.

Without the attendees from interstate each year this event would never have risen to the heights it has.

If you would like to have two comps, have two separate ones.  Have the Convention as it has always been, held at the dam, fish on the dam, winners come from the dam.

Then have a second comp where it is held at the dam  but fished on any part of the Brisbane river exclusively(Freshwater)

Also if the 2011 Convention has been decided and  is going to be in both locations what happens when 30 cars turn up at XYZ fishing spot on the Brisbane River and make their way down a steep river bank. What will be the reaction of the locals and will there be safety concerns of the entrants and the organisers ? Will the river entrants be required to fish from public access areas only?

Cheers

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »
Folks,

please forget the 2nd comp question. It is totally not related to this event, I was an idiot for posting it here...it's only serving to confuse the topic. An idea / concept that deserves its own topic of discussion at another time...

Thanks for feedback to date.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:48 PM »
Also if the 2011 Convention has been decided and  is going to be in both locations what happens when 30 cars turn up at XYZ fishing spot on the Brisbane River and make their way down a steep river bank. What will be the reaction of the locals and will there be safety concerns of the entrants and the organisers ? Will the river entrants be required to fish from public access areas only?

Cheers

G'Day Sel,

Thanks for the feedback.
You're assuming, I take it, that everyone is going to be trying to get into Shines road.... I'm thinking alot of the bass including many big girls might be just a little bit downstream from there come Convention time 9post spawn)... The goat track down from Shines Rd would put most off when there's Twin Bridges, Lowood, Savages Crossing, Burtons Bridge, not to mention the upstream of the lake access points where you can drive your car right to the river to launch.

I'd still back myself to catch more meters of bass & yellowbelly in the lake than the river. Noting that some folks are intimidated by the open water & distances invovled with finding fish on the lake I thought the river might offer an alternative to those wanting to try it for the first time. I try to have something different each year, my thought was that there's no better time than now to include the river in the areas that can be fished but still hold the event at Wivenhoe.

Appreciate the comments, keep them coming please folks.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »
This event is aimed at raising money for the Somerset and Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association , and alot of Wivenhoe's resident fish are now downstream of the lake , I do not see a problem of utilising these fish before the white bucket brigade remove them from the river . They won't last in these numbers forever  . The option for all entrants to enjoy this situation will be great , and the whole river is loaded up!

As Dale ( Aussiebasser ) said , the convention is more of a lucky dip than a competition . With previous years , the number of entrants has hovered either side of a 100 . 100 yakkers going in all directions is easily managed . Some will fish from logans , some will fish from billies/hayes , some go to Hamon cove and some prefer to drink at the camp instead !! O'sheas has always been part of the event but have you heard of anyone launching from there during the event? I haven't . Only ever heard of a handful of punters going the distance to Tulungra cliffs . So in all ,  how many will bother going further afield really , good on them I say .

Damage to river bank from public access sites is going to happen regardless of the competition or not . As to safety of competitors , when did society become such a nanny state where individuals will not take responsibitlity for themselves . Common sense seems to have been replaced by litigation , as fishos I believe we are above that.

If you are chasing the "sheep station" titles , that has always taken a bit of homework , as its the yellowbelly which seem hard to find . Interstate entrants have always had to rely on word of mouth to get a handle on where the fish are and what they are eating .

I have had the luxury of late in having some time spare to play in the river which is local for me , but over the winter I'm dreaming about how to 'workout' the yellas either in the dam or the river upstream . This option for pre-fishing is open everyone ,  who bothers to do it is another thing.

Really , its the social aspect of the event and the money raised to the stocking group that matters the most .

Also , there needs to be a category for a winner of " worst sunburn" . Seen plenty of rock lobsters from at previous years events ;D

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »

I try to have something different each year, my thought was that there's no better time than now to include the river in the areas that can be fished but still hold the event at Wivenhoe.

Yeah Mate I suppose this is something different and it would be an opportunity wasted if not given a go..I too vote for bringing Hodgy back, his casting show has been a highlight for me from a past convention...

Cheers

Offline Member

• Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »
Myself, cant see anything wrong with the river. There is lots of it and depending on the winter we get they will be well down stream from the wall in September. You have to remember that these are also stocked fish, as how the hell do any fish get back over the weir at crosby.

I would like to travel a bit more this year. In the last two conventions I have spent a total of maybe 4 hours " Bass " fishing, the rest has been chasing that Yella. In most case both days have been 1 hour tops to land a bass over fitty then where is that bloody golden hiding. If I was river fishing for bass in September it would be alot closer to Crosby and then back on the bike past the main dam basin to the river that feeds Dubba to catch that yella.

The river is a spectacular spot all they way along from public access points at Shines to Kohlo. Catching a bass is a bonus.

I feel that it should be an option and as Dave said, some come for a fish, some come for a drink, some have a good look around, let them see what the place has to offer. If we dont use it then how long is it before we loose it.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 04:03:59 PM »
speaking as an out-of-town'r who knows nothing of the river and the place names mentioned herein by the locals, I find the past formate/s more conducive to the social style of meet that the "convention" has become.
I can however understand why the local participants would like to see the river included,
some great catches have recently been taken and will most likely continue for quite some time.
Perhaps for consideration (since a second meet has also been mentioned) is it feasible to kill two birds with the one stone by selecting the river or the lake as your nominated ( via the registration form ) fishery.
Problem being, this basically splits the "fishing competition" part of the convention into separate categorises/events.
i.e. you are registered only to fish both days within the River or the Lake, the choice is yours.
Having said that, I feel river fishing would open-up far too many issues re insurance and safety.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
Having attended all the conventions so far..but more as a weekend away than a fishing comp I have to congratulate the organisers and the stocking association.
Could I put forward a suggestion ?
If fishing down the river would there be someone available for us novices to give us a bit of a tour on the river..never been down there myself as not certain of launching and retrieving points nor any "irregularities" to be aware of. Probably should get off my butt and go exploring some time but as I said..just not sure of any problems that may be encountered. Obviously the "guide" would not to be expected of someone who is fishing the comp aspect of the event. Just someone familiar with the river and prepared to babysit a few of us.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
Maybe if the locals could put up a detailed map of the river/dam putting names to them.

Say a Google map with all spots both river & dam.

I've been there since it all started and it was stab in the dark stuff to catch anything but I still had a fantastic time.

It's a friendly "competition" isn't it  ;) ;)

Offline Member

• Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
Maybe if the locals could put up a detailed map of the river/dam putting names to them.

Say a Google map with all spots both river & dam.

I've been there since it all started and it was stab in the dark stuff to catch anything but I still had a fantastic time.

It's a friendly "competition" isn't it  ;) ;)

Greg

Sweetwater is more than a forum. Lots of info about. Have a look at the top of the page. See where it says "Sweetwater Home" Run your mouse over that. Lots of stuff to find. There is dam info and river info.

You asked for river info and map...here ya go

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/BrisBass.htm

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »
These have been publicly accessible for ages.

Wivenhoe Map

View Wivenhoe in a larger map

Brisbane River Access Points

View Brisbane River Access Points in a larger map..
Link to Sweetwater Google Maps can be found via the top menu drop down "Find Us On" then select Google Maps
I've got several maps that are a work in progress, would value input from others & can add anyone as Collaborators for anyone wanting to add location markers / info on maps. Imagine maps like this for all rivers & lakes across Australia?  :thumbsup

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »
Fitzy & StephenM, thanks for the info.