Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Camera on Kayak  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
Camera on Kayak
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
Folks

Fitzy was kind enough to give me a Kaiser Bass Sports camera yesterday for an outstanding prize...I have to say I was amazed at Fitz with his generosity..

I have been thinking of getting a go pro again after recently selling my SD one on ebay, and this one will no doubt fill in the gap while I get one, it might even replace it if the footage turns out great. I have looked at Utube and the clips on there look amazing for such a small camera.

Anyway the challenge was to mount it for kayak use, as this camera is really designed for anything that has a handle bar like a bike. So I set my mind to work last night and I have come up with a solutuon and with the Sidetrax system on my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120  Kayak it is a perfect result. Testing on the camera  next week while away fishing...I must say I am a happy man, thanks Fitz... :youbeauty :thanks

So this is what I have come up with, a c channel supporting a piece if 20mm round tube, wrapped a little with duct tape to increase the diameter so it is a snug fit in the c channel and then a bit more duct tape to make where I mount the Kasier Bass Sports Camera again to make the fit more snug. Attach this to a ram ball and then mount to what ever ram arms you have. In my case I had these arms around the house for another camera project I have not yet done. Nuts and bolts of course and then I end up with a ripper of a camera mount. By leaving the ram nut on the arm not so tight I can swivel the camera in any direction and it stays in place...

I will report on the effectiveness of the camera later after trials on the water....

Cheers

Sel

Stacer Proline Angler 399 - Yami 30hp 4str
Hobie Outbacl
Hobie Revolution 11
Hobie Quest 11

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Camera on Kayak
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »
Well done on working out a solution to the mounting Sel. I've been playing with one of these camera for short while, but only hand held so far. They seem to take pretty good video (being in the lower end HD) 110 degree angle capture I think... & a compact waterproof, it all seems to add up to a not bad little camera at alot cheeper price than a GoPro.

The audio works better if you take out the rubber cap at the back, but that looses the waterproof ability if you do.

My appologies for taking so long to get back to you mate, I hope you get good use out of it, recon you will. Thanks to you & your lovely wife for the hospitality & chat.  :thumbsup

Be keen to see what sort of video you can shoot with it mate.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
Re: Camera on Kayak
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »
Thanks Fitz

I had a play with it just now before the footy and it is pretty damn good, bought a 8gig card for it, so I will be taking plenty of vid on my hols...looking forward to it...Thanks again Fitz  :yourock