Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Barra rods  (Read 13760 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Barra rods
« on: November 28, 2010, 03:42:09 PM »
I'm looking for a few opinions on Barra rods, baitcasters in particular. Not so much brands but line ratings more than anything. I've got a few ranging from 2-5 kg up to a 8-17lb Daiwa Tierra. I like to keep it as light as possible, not wanting to sacrifice casting distance for brute force. Any opinions welcome.
Cheers
JD

fishing is not essential to life, it's much more important

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
Re: Barra rods
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:53:26 PM »
JD,
Where do you want to fish- salt or fresh? Are you aiming to throw large lures (150mm) or
small 80-100 mm lures? What size line do you wish to use?
Reels- do you own one, or are you wanting advice there too?
Some will offer more suitable opinions to your question when further info is laid on the table.
Cheers,
Johnny Mitchell

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
I have a swag of them (only what I need though!)

My Barra fishing is all stocked impoundments.

For casting I use mostly 4 to 7's and 5 to 8's. (these also double up for Murray cod fishing as well) I have a 7 foot 6 to 8kg Egrel that casts well, but generally I find once you go much heavier than a 5 to 8kg rod you will wear out pretty quick casting. I have quite a few 6 to 10's I use for trolling or short casting sessions in heavy timber.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
It's very difficult to go by line rating when you purchase a barra rod.  An 8kg Aussie Egrell is a barra rod, an 8kg Yank Gloomis is not a barra rod, an 8kg Japanese Daiwa is not a barra rod but an 8kg Daiwa made for Aus may be a barra rod.  Then you have to take the action into account.  Fast and extra Fast action rods have a light tip and heavier butt section, medium action have a softer mid section and a slower tip action, soft or slow action had a more even curve through to the reel seat.  All have their place in the arsenal, but finding the right one for the right lure and line that you want to use today can be difficult and expensive.  As fitzy says often, the rod is not to there to fight the fish, the rod is there to deliver the lure in the best possible manner.  Light rods can be compesnated for by lower rod angles, to the point that some rods are better off pointing straight at the fish and relying on a good drag on the reel.  You really need take you reel and line and lure to the tackle shop and set the rod up and have a cast.  If your tackle shop won't let you do that, find a new one.  This is also very difficult to do via internet tackle shops.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:04:55 PM »
Johnny,
The reels are four baitasters; two low profile and two round reels. I'm looking at saltwater mainly but with occasional still water trips. Most of my Barra experience is in estuaries but I'm getting interested in the dams. I'm also investing in a couple of spin reels and rods for Barra and already have a Tierra 3000 and a 7ft 8-17lb rod. Going the get another spin setup with 3-4000 size reel but maybe a slightly lighter rod.
Cheers mate,
John

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »
I probably should have mentioned a few rods I've tried and liked.  Egrell S10 is a very versatile rod, suited to lots of scenarios.  The Daiwa Steez Hot Dog is similar.  The Daiwa Steez Power Junkie is a great light rod for frogs etc.  Matches nicely to a 3000 size reel.  The Egrell S4, although light has plenty of guts for heavier soft plastics.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:16:11 AM »
Keen to know a few names for a spin rod 7FT, strong in the butt and light enough in the tip to be able to cast plastics, both to the edges and in deep water.

Thanks Dino

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:02:16 AM »
Gday Dino.
In the past I have had a EGrell S10H and it was probably to heavy really.A while back I bought a 7' Gary Howard 15-25lb G Force Extreme spin rod and I really like it.I finally got a chance to get a couple of fish on it a few weeks ago and it basicly became the "go to" rod.In days gone by I would have gone the baitcaster first but not now.

Like Basser was saying cast weight is probably more applicable than a line rating on the blank.A lot more casts are made than fish are caught.

Toddy

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:01 PM »
Hey Toddy,

Those Gary Loomis designed spin and baitcast rods we spoke about awhile back
should be around now that E J Todd has picked up the TFO agency.
I'm using them for own and charter work and can't fault the build or performance.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
Hey Toddy,

Those Gary Loomis designed spin and baitcast rods we spoke about awhile back
should be around now that E J Todd has picked up the TFO agency.
I'm using them for own and charter work and can't fault the build or performance.

Yeah I will have to look for them.I would be particularly interested in a 7'6" jobby for a bit longer casts.They are reasonably priced as well I think.I will talk to the mob at Coorparoo.
I have really taken to spin gear since I made a point of only using it down here 99% of the time and making myself change winding hands.

Toddy

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:23:44 PM »
I'm looking for a few opinions on Barra rods, baitcasters in particular. Not so much brands but line ratings more than anything. I've got a few ranging from 2-5 kg up to a 8-17lb Daiwa Tierra. I like to keep it as light as possible, not wanting to sacrifice casting distance for brute force. Any opinions welcome.
Cheers
JD

JD -  your approach is a good one  ... ease of casting and casting distance are really important... :youbeauty   Then like JM said , your lure weight .....( i'm yet to find or have used any rod that covers all bases well)   Rod length is worth considering too
Personally I find that baitcast rods that have ratings of 12-20lb & 6'6"ish are the best ones  -  My Samurai 451 has never left me wanting and is a pleasure to cast all day  .  They have enough backbone to throw  big HBs or down to  4" plastics depending on the reel that you match it with.
I just recently picked up a Daiwa Zillion in that 12-20lb range  and I feel that it is going to be a cracker -    If it came with bigger guides , it would be a ball tearer

Chris

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:02 PM »
Thanks Chris,the problem as always is finding a rod with just the right balance of casting power and the ability to stick it to 'em in hard country. I've got a Curado 200E5 and I've even looked at St.Croix rods from the States. I've also got a few others all with different sized and rated rods for different jobs.
Cheers mate,
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »
Thanks Chris,the problem as always is finding a rod with just the right balance of casting power and the ability to stick it to 'em in hard country. I've got a Curado 200E5 and I've even looked at St.Croix rods from the States. I've also got a few others all with different sized and rated rods for different jobs.
Cheers mate,
JD

What lures do you want to throw ? There is little point in having a rod that wont load on a cast

Also you'll be surprised at what power you can generate with the use of good rod angles .

Chris