Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Speed Exclusion for Lake Wivenhoe.  (Read 19136 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Speed Exclusion for Lake Wivenhoe.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »
Word back from the Council on the sign tells me "this is in accordance with SEQ water approval".  I'm not sure whether that means SEQWater approved the signs, or the signs were required for SEQWater to approve the event.  Anyway, it does seem that the general public are not welcome at Hamon Cove during the event, so if you wish to take advantage of the lifted speed limits launch at Logan Inlet and remember to obey the 6 knot limit until you get out onto the big water.

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 09:23:48 AM »
So if I'm out there in my kayak and I get run over by a 1000 mile an hour boat, who pays my bills???

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 09:40:31 AM »
So if I'm out there in my kayak and I get run over by a 1000 mile an hour boat, who pays my bills???

The event organisers public liability policy. 

Part of running an event on Seqwater assets is a requirement to indemnify the corporation in the event insurance policy.

Would you really want to be out on Big W on a yak when there's tourny boats whipping the water up?? For those few days it's best to go elsewhere in a paddle craft. You could be like some cyclists on busy roads & say its your right to be out there and do it just cause you can or you could simply not put yourself at risk and dodge the joint.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »
The limit is 40 knots Sel, not 1000 mph.  The laws are the same.  The boats have to stay the required distance from paddle craft.  You could take your boat for that weekend and take advantage of the speed limit to explore some new territory.  Fast run to Brad's point then 6 knots down to the bouy line and fish those two humps on the Northern bank or a Fast run up to the end of the cliffs and then 6 knots to the water intake tower or the Brissie/Stanley junction.  Plenty of options that weekend without needing the yak.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 10:35:50 AM »
I still intend to use my tax payer, boating permit and SIP holder rights to access the dam from Hamon Cove on Friday 11/3.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 10:36:24 AM »
From SEQ Water website.
Competition participants will be excepted from the 6 knot speed limit and will be able to travel in defined areas at up to 40 knots for the purposes of the competition only
Dale so you are openly advocating the ignoring of safety restrictions?
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 11:53:27 AM »
No Ray, I'm passing on first hand from an Seqwater ranger that they will not be enforcing the speed limit because they cannot.  It is up to the competition organiser.  Now according to Seqwater, the competition organiser is Somerset Regional Council and I know they will not be able to patrol the lake. This is a speed limit Ray, not a Safety Restriction.  If it was a Safety Restriction, I'm sure Seqwater would not ignore it for a fishing competition.  If a 6 knot speed limit was a "Safety Restriction" all of the lakes under Seqwater's control would be so restricted.  I would never advocate ignoring a "Safety Restriction" in fact we have always advocated the wearing of PFDs for kayakers on the lake while Seqwater do not, as can be seen by their latest safety campaign poster which clearly shows a kayak fisherman on the lake without a PFD.  I've been involved in a couple of rescues on the lake where the absence of a PFD could have been a real issue, as could have been the lack of an immediately available rescue vessel.
You should also be aware Ray, that I was personally involved in lobbying Seqwater for the area of Logan Inlet to be maintained as a 6 knot limit for this event, as it had been announced that the area from the boat ramp at Logan Inlet out to the main part of the dam was to be 40 knots.  Fortunately Seqwater listened to our reasons and had the 40 knot area changed.
Please do not accuse me of being anything but safety conscious in regard to this competition.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »
I think that you have been misinformed.
 "There will be on water patrols throughout the competition to ensure adherence to the conditions imposed on the competitors and other lake users."
Rangers may not have power to ping but water police who will be accompanying rangers certainly do.
Cheers
Ray

"

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 12:26:43 PM »
So Ray, do you agree that it is correct that a person should be able to pay a private, profit making entity a sum of money so that person can be exempt from rules which apply to other non-paying members of the public? 
It would be interesting to hear the conversation from the Police Officer as he showed his radar gun, "Did you pay to enter this competition?"  "No sir, however I have paid for a Boating Permit to use my vessel on this water, I have paid my registration and I have paid for a Boat License."  "Nope, sorry, that's not good enough, you have to pay this bloke from up on the Sunshine Coast if you want to exceed 6 knots here today!"  "OK officer, thankyou for the ticket, I elect not to pay the fine, I will talk to you again in Court, have a nice day."

Is this something like you think it will go Ray?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »
You are the bush lawyer not me.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 08:00:14 PM »
An accusation has been made that I am attempting to disrupt this Competition, I would like to state that I have never advocated or attempted to disrupt this competition.  If anybody does take advantage of the modified speed limit during the course of this Council event I would hope and ask them, not to disrupt the competitors.  There are laws regarding right of what and safe distances that everybody must obey.  What I am saying, as a Somerset Council rate payer is that i hope that the Council are getting a return on any taxpayer funded contributions put towards this, and I have advised Council of this opinion.  I also believe that all comers should be able to take advantage of these temporary unenforceable rule changes to see and fish areas of a Dam that is stocked with their SIP contributions that they cannot normally access.  I personally hope that this event is successful for the Council and nobody does anything stupid or dangerous.  I have been fortunate to have been permitted to access areas that others have not in the past, and there are some magnificent features on this dam normally hidden by time restraints.

Dale Sinclair
Fernvale.