Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: not much biting  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Burrum River
not much biting
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:58:12 PM »
I had a chat with Gayle at paradise dam. Not much biting so i thought i'd ask a bit of info in case anyone is heading there. Aparently there are plenty of freshwater jew..commonly known as catfish! Dodging past the list of species what's commonly on every board i asked what we should expect. She said there are Barra here. Not as many as some places but they are in there. That makes sense as Mingo crossing a bit up the track has been stocked with Barra, yellas and Bass. if you do decide to try for a Barra she says try about 8 k's up river from the boat ramp. other fish you can catch there without too much trouble are Sleepy Cod and Spangled perch. Like most dams in this area you'll catch a few Barred Grunter too. A pest but regarded as a decent Barra bait as are the Spanglies. Sleepy Cod shouldn't be there but they are and i have it on good authority that they are the best tasting aussie native fish? hmm could be true they fetch a fairly hefty price at the market.
Yep so things a little quiet (all over) but paradise you can have some fun on spanglies whilst waiting for the yellas and Bass  that reside here to take an interest. Bit cold for Barra but you might be a chance when it warms up. In the Salt a birdy tells me they are still getting the odd Barra. When they catch Barra around here they're a fairly well kept secret. Still no confirmed reports of Redclaw in Paradise Dam but from what I've been told over the past few months Redclaw have turned up in a lot of creeks and private dams..so? Some lucky buggers have dams that were just water holes and are now full with Bass and Silvers. Half their luck  ;) The Bass at the pond (lake gregory) have gone right off the bite. Cool winds and not much rain have seen the water turn crystal clear. a rise in the barometer and a bit of a warm spell might be handy. Spinnerbaits with some orange and/or pink work well here. Soaking a bait night be the go it'll certainly give you a good chance of getting a sleepy cod
John

Childers Fishing Camping & Homebrew

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: not much biting
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
Real pain the locals not being able to stock paradise itself.

Hope the Boys upstream are being real generous with their stocking numbers ;)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Burrum River
Re: not much biting
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
Real pain the locals not being able to stock paradise itself.

Hope the Boys upstream are being real generous with their stocking numbers ;)
There has been a legal fight going on over the fish ladder at the dam. The conservationists took the water authority to court and only very recently lost their claim. I beleive they also had an issue with stocking the dam because of the lungfish population. It has nearly sent them (conservationists) bust! I am not certain who stocks or stocked the mingo crossing area. I can only imagine that it was done privately? It would be a very good dam to fish if it was stocked on a regular basis.