Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Back in the game  (Read 14240 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Back in the game
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »
I've decided that after an absence of too many years to get back into hunting and shooting. I wanted to buy a Winchester Mod 70 for nostalgia sake but it looks like it will be a Howa in 308 with a Hogue stock. Don't start on me Steve, I know your preferences. I'm putting a Burris 3-9 on it. After that I'm thinking 223 with a heavy barrel. I like the 243 but some of that New England country has scrub a dog couldn't bark in.
JD

fishing is not essential to life, it's much more important

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: Back in the game
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »
I hear they make ok workhorses JD dont stress.. Be good to hear of some of your adventures

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 6
  • Kayak fishing nut.
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Dumaresq River
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:28:28 AM »
Just sold all my rifles for next to nothing (including a 308). What a shame.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:06:43 AM »
Gotta love the 223 as a versatile cartridge JD 40 grn XP ammo for rabbits and 63 grn that will do pigs and even bigger game (if you place the bullet correctly) - don't call me a survivalist ratbag but I've always considered it a bit prudent to have something chambered in the dominant military calibre of the day as well  ;) - 308 achieves that as well !

Here a pic of a dog that fell fowl of my 223 on a recent trip north for ya Steve - know your one for drilling them! I don't normally worry about rolling proper dingos out bush but this was on a friends grazing property where I thought he'd appreciate the gesture

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »
.223/5.56 is a brilliant little round for most Australian game.  I had one of the early Mini 14's and it accounted for hundreds of 'roos, (on permit of course) and plenty of wild dogs and cats. 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:23:27 AM »
I had one of the earliest stainless mini14 too Dale - was 15 when I got it - loved it madly, drilled hundreds of pigs with it while my family was living in the southern Gulf, still think it BS that a whole class of weapons (semi-autos) have been banned from general ownership - especially when pistol club members can have semi-auto hand guns  - they should allow semi auto rifles under stricter background checks / storage rules or the like I reckon

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »
Was it that long ago Jim.  I got mine from the first batch into the country.  It was before the Stainless were available.  I had a 10/22, a 44Mag and a M77 in .220 Swift too.  I never had a pistol license, but our family Sports Store was permitted to stock a beautiful .357 mag Security Six and a .22/.22 mag combo Revolver.  These may not have been new when they were sold...............

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »
Jim you look hard pushed being 20 in that last photo.

At the latest Bio Security Queensland wild dog and vertebrate pest management meeting some very interesting info was shared with regards to wild dogs and dingo purity. In fact there is almost a straight line between Adelaide and Townsville , East 80% of samples are hybrid domestic / dingo and to the west is the opposite.

Also 2 photo's side by side of a dingo and a domestic hybrid but the fact was they are opposite of what you would have thought to be what, food for thought.

ZZ top what a shame you didn't get a fair $ for them, I suppose it would be just extra baggage in your situation

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »
Steve I was 16 in that photo (hunting with responsible adults tho ::) ) - Talking about Colt pythons Dale, a station managers on the property we lived on once (bit of a dill) lost a beautiful (licenced) 357 python out of his saddle bag while mustering - never found it, I must of put a couple of tanks of juice through my trail bike looking for that weapon - don't know if my intentions were honourable tho  ::)

Mate of mine I used to hunt with in the late 70's (Station days) have a 357 lever action that worked pretty effectively on pigs at short range - he also had a ruger 22 handgun that had interchangeable long rifle/ magnum cylinders - good for dispatching pigs when your just providing 'artillery support' for bailing dogs.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »
That little .22 was fun on Rabbits in the spotlight.....um apparently... ::)  The Mag side of it took whistling foxes to a whole new level too.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »
ZZ sorry to hear about the clearance sale on your firearms mate, that sucks. You not only lose some good toys you do it at throw out money. Bum deal. The 223 I'm looking at will be most likely in a medium to heavy barrel version. I'm thinking mainly foxes and feral cats. Headshots on rabbits are good but if you go a bit lower you still get the hindquarters.
JD 

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »
Gotta love the 223 as a versatile cartridge JD 40 grn XP ammo for rabbits and 63 grn that will do pigs and even bigger game (if you place the bullet correctly) - don't call me a survivalist ratbag but I've always considered it a bit prudent to have something chambered in the dominant military calibre of the day as well  ;) - 308 achieves that as well !

Here a pic of a dog that fell fowl of my 223 on a recent trip north for ya Steve - know your one for drilling them! I don't normally worry about rolling proper dingos out bush but this was on a friends grazing property where I thought he'd appreciate the gesture
Jim, no worries on that I've had a love of that 308 round for many years especially since my time in the Army and lugging one around the jungle in SE Asia. There's a 150gn projectile for that and I think it will suit what I want nicely. It's also good in close cover. That's a nice dog there by the way.
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
Yeah there is something to be said for the bust through power of a 308 in thick stuff, have got caught out with the 223 deflecting bullets when trying to shoot pigs up close in whiteberry bush when there wasn't much room between the pigs and myself (had dogs backing me up tho  ;)) - I'm not a real big fan of Remington rifles but I have found myself having longing looks at the carbine pump action they do in 308 - mind you they do it in 223 as well....  My ol man is keen to pass a couple of his rifles on to me as he doesn't get the chance to use them much these days and he's got a great old aussie Omark target rifle in 308 - with big heavy bull barrel - not that you'd want to kart it around the flat - but pulling off 1000 yard shots on teh black soil plains could be fun... :))

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »
A bull barrel .308, not really a tack driver, Moore like a roofing nail into an old gidgee stump driver.  Ieckon we sold hundreds of heavy barrel .243s in the early 70s

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »
Back in the day as a young nimrod, I worked in a gun store in George St in the Big Smoke. My bedroom was fairly bristling with good stuff. A few I still recall fondly; A 22/250 with Mauser 98 action a heavy barrel and a 25x Lyman Target spot scope, A post war Mod 70 Win in .270W and a custom buil 257 Ackly Roberts ona 98 M action with a 2.5-8x Bausch and Lomb scope.
Not a composite stock to be found. Although the 22cal Remington Nylon 66 was considered by some to be the work of the devil.
JD 

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events