Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Monster Murray Cod, Emmaville  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Monster Murray Cod, Emmaville
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:45:39 AM »
Pam took me to Emmaville for my Birthday weekend.  Being born on Australia Day means that you always get to go fishing on your birthday, and I try to catch a Murray Cod every year on that day. 
We arrived on Friday afternoon, dropped the kayaks off at the top dam and unpacked the car at the cabin.  As always, Pam was keen to get on the water straight away.  Clark had left the boat tied up o the jetty for us so it was pretty easy to wander down with a couple of rods and lures and get started.  Trolling was pretty quiet, so we started throwing some Bassman spinnerbaits at the steep banks.  The catch count was Pam 7, me 1 at the end of the first day.  My fish was about 65-70cm and a big fish came up and smacked it at the side of the boat.  That happened 3 times over the weekend.  Just on dark Pam had to try trolling one of the LED lures she picked up at the Lure Show last year.  It didn't travel far before a big fish hit it and took quite a bit of line off a fairly heavy drag setting before pulling the hooks.
Overall we caught about 35 Murray Cod between 15cm and 75cm.  Pam tells me she got 23 fish.  About a dozen of our fish would have been over 50cm.  We explored the top dams with the yaks, but the wind made things difficult.  Just on dark the top dam fishes well with smaller 3/8oz Spinnerbaits.

Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Monster Murray Cod, Emmaville
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
Dale, there must be some really big Cod in those lakes but I never hear of anyone catching one of them. Mostly the ones that you hear most about are the ones up to around 75-80cm. The big ones are probably educated.