Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Not many reports from the Barra Lakes  (Read 8075 times)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
Not many reports from the Barra Lakes
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »
hey guys,

I have wanted to get the time to come up to Mondy or Awoonga for ages now but can't get the time away.  I have noticed on  here that there are much less reports coming people on these areas and I was wondering if things have slowed so much that fisho's are now not going there as much or have less to report  :-[.

Since the floods last year I have noticed that many reports.  I could just have missed them I guess ...

How have they been going up there ??

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
Re: Not many reports from the Barra Lakes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »
My son & I have fished Monduran 7 times since February 2011 but we post our reports on another forum.  We have managed to catch some barra on each trip but the fish are generally smaller (around the 60cm mark) and they have been responding to smaller presentations.

Most of our success has come from suspending Rapala Xrap10 lures around lily and weed edges in back bays well up the system...

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »
Good on ya Pete, for sharing your knowledge :thanks

I can vouch that Pete and his son have a real hold on what's been happening at Mondy.

It's a shame the reports have declined on the Barra scene. For me I really enjoy the challenge of targetting them. I know Kurt has placed another 50 odd thousand into Awoonga a couple of days ago which brings the stocking tally this year in excess of 300,000.

Things will improve soon and those who have fallen by the way side on the Barra scene to persue other fish will return.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:24:42 AM »
A good indication is the vacancys still available for the cabins and houses at Monduran during the peak times. Normally booked out a year in advance but plenty avail if you dont want full moon period.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
They are still an option, at Monduran at least, size is well and truely down from the good ol days, but scale down the gear and its still good fun.
Some better fish remain, Pete has had a run in or 2, and Ive donated a couple of lures to fish that caught me by suprise. Last time I use the Bass gear up there! Been up a number of times this year, no donuts yet touch wood.
Big water now, but it means plenty of room to spread out, still worth a look IMO.
Dont know about Awoonga, Ive seen one report in the last few months, and a fish or 2 in the ABT last year, pretty quiet.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 44
  • Liked: 13
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Awoonga, Cania, Gladstone
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:52:50 AM »
I don’t fish Awoonga as often as I used too as I’m now a full time single dad. But on the occasions I have fished Awoonga since January, the new neighbour and I have managed to produce a couple of  fish each time. I haven’t posted on forums as results weren’t anything noteworthy.

As per Pete report Awoonga has also fished much smaller, with the average fish being 52 to 67cm.  Hence, small presentations 5 to 7cm suspending lures cast right up to the weed beds late in the afternoon / sunset has produced the goods.

General reports from others at the ramp (NSW plates) are the obligatory donuts. However, I am wondering if this has anything to do with them leaving at 3pm ish when we are just putting in for the late afternoon sessions? My preference has always been to fish barra o’clock on sunset, especially when the weather has been cooling off

Regards
Earl

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
Have definately noticed a narrow bite window based on those sun rise/down times, and also moon rise/set.
We have persisted during all hours, but really only found concentrations of active fish working on , for lack of a better word, trigger times.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
It's a little bit of a self full filling profecy IMHO

If there's very few people fishing the likes of Awoonga Dam & Fred Haig Dam = fewer reports get out there = less people go fishing at those places.

I think it will only take one or two good reports for the cork to pop out of the bottle letting the genie out again

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 07:27:12 AM »
I reckon no reports, as no one wants to get laughed at for posting pics of undersize fish from areas normally (previously?) associated with pond donkeys!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 82
  • Liked: 18
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
I personally haven't been back to Monduran since the floods of 2011 but have had many anglers ring or email asking about charters up there.
I've told all of them I wont take them there because the chances of landing big Barra are very small and they will only catch 40- 60 cm fish most of the time with the odd chance of possibly a 80cm fish and have referred them to another guide,I can get anglers fish that size locally in rivers so I'm not going to take them all that way when there's no need too.

I also believe the fewer anglers going now will be a big plus for the fishery in a year or so when the fish are bigger just like way back in 02-03 when I first started fishing and guiding there and it was only Brett Jones[Still Water Charters that no longer operates] and my self guiding on it back then  before the world knew a lot about Monduran and everybody used to go to Awoonga or Faust.

Mondy was un-crowded and sessions of up to 20 fish up to a meter and over was possible because they weren't all pinned heaps when they were youngsters, some days you were lucky to see another boat which meant a lot less noise and fishing pressure.

It will bounce back and Gin Gin and the local businesses will benefit again we just need the bloody floods to stop and get some stable weather patterns.

I'll start taking anglers back there come spring time and the 50-70 cm fish are bigger and worthy of the trip up the goat track called the pacific highway.

Paul

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 11:16:43 PM »
All responses sound like they hit the nail on the head.  Personally,  I wouldn't mind hitting a couple of 60cm Barra in a session up there.  Could be worse like my recent record on the bass in my local creeks(I think I've lost my MoJo)  :o

Less people = less pressure and Mondy has hammered over the last 4-5 years or so I have heard, I guess it can't hurt the place to have a little less pressure for a while if that is the case.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 07:03:08 PM »
here you go, downsize your gear, enjoy the peace and quiet while we have it before it gets slammed again as they get bigger, and explore the lake, sooooo many new spots to fish

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 02:29:03 AM »
 :GoodPost)

Nothing wrong with those fish Brian, thanks for sharing the pics.  :thumbsup 

Almost enticing enough for me to slip up next week on hols before I shoot down south after some cod...

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
It's a little bit of a self full filling profecy IMHO

If there's very few people fishing the likes of Awoonga Dam & Fred Haig Dam = fewer reports get out there = less people go fishing at those places.

I think it will only take one or two good reports for the cork to pop out of the bottle letting the genie out again

there are some pretty good DAM barra fishoes still hitting the lakes ......... many days over the last 12 months and still unable to boat a fish that was considered run of the mill in 2010  -   There are enough reports around ( not all on fishing forums) ....... I just got back from NQ and all the talk from the nomads were of the lack of fish in the lakes & so they were hitting the salt .
It will take time ....... how long is anyone's guess before it goes back to the days of trophy fish  -   
now   it is about catching the smaller -  60-70cm fish  -  still fun on the right tackle

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Diamond(JB)
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »
There has been no lack of fish in tinaroo for those fishing it properly. Will be up there for a run tomorrow now that the water temp has pretty much bottomed out. Hopefully will find a couple of willing customers.