Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Wivenhoe newbie needs advice on best spots,bait/lures/rigs.1st time fisho.Help!  (Read 10535 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 3
  • Serial lure killer. :-)
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: S.E.Qld Dams and rivers
Basically,I have never freshwater fished.We tried hamon cove at Wivenhoe,using spinnerbait lures and live worms and frozen yabbies.We caught a 40cm wedgetail catfish,& what I think was a juvenile 20cm yella.we fished to the right of picnic area off the bank as we don't have a boat.Any advice on best land based spots to fish for yellas,best bait and or lures,& how to set up the line would be great.
Keep in mind I am absolute beginner so please use simple terms,hook sizes sinker sizes etc and explain line setups.Thanks in advance guys/ladies. :)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
I would suggest visiting your local tackle shop and telling them where you're fishing and what you hope to catch.  Next time you're down in Ipswich visit Charltons at Redbank, or if you're in Toowoomba, Mullet Gut Marine will be able to help you.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
Ok thanks.I never go to redbank,& rarely tToowoomba.I was hoping for a locals help who fishes Wivenhoe
for yellowbelly,but if I'm up there I'll be sure to ask them.Sadly,we don't have a local tackle shop in Gatton that I know of,& I'm not confident the guys up the hill at twba would know much about Wivenhoe an hour away from them.I'm sure they'd be up on boondoomba,cooby and the others up there,but hey,I have nothing to lose by asking.I might try Lake Dyer at Laidley and someone on here reckons they're pulling a few species out of Lockyer Ck ssomewhere between lake Clarendon and glenore grove.Anyway,thanks. :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
THe problem is that you're land based and are only permitted to fish from the designated recreation areas. Most of the yellowbelly are going to be found away from the gently sloping recreation areas.

I've caught them from the shore there, casting tuna slugs with a heavy rod & belting the slugs towards the horizon.

Bait? Well a live shrimp pinned thru the tail with a 1 or 1/0 hook has no comparison. Again getting a live shrimp to where most of the yellowbelly are often found is a challenge.

If & I mean IF you a very quiet & in the right conditions you can sometimes see yellowbelly stalking the shallow margins. When they are in this scenario they are on full alert, one heavy foot step or a moving shadow can spook them; a very challenging target for fly fishos.

Best spot for land based? I wont mention the spots you aren't allowed to go, so my tip would be from the saddle dam to east of Cormorant Bay.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
Thanks for all that info buddy.I'll give it a try :) :thanks

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Wivenhoe now
G'day mate,
Being a newbie to both the area and Wivenhoe myself I can't help you with the good spots. What I can help you with is that there is a tackle shop in Gatton. Its on the way out next to Vandies water. They have Camping, Fishing and Home Brew there. They may be able to help with land based freshwater fishing spots and could definitely help with gear.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
Well there u go.Been here 8yrs and didn't know that.cheers mate I'll check it out.thanks.