Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Great day up the creek  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Great day up the creek
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:57:37 PM »
It's all very well to say the water will clear eventually as some folks have said to me when I have a bit of a grizzle about all the recent rain, but I decided that waiting was not for me and headed up into Bugawalbin country today. We were greeted by some very brown water but eternal optimist that I am decided that fish have to eat, even if they can't see what they're eating. In my book that weighs things in our favour. The first couple of hours passed without so much as a tap, and my confidence was beginning to crumble. The tide was on the run-out so we went downstream to see what might happen. We'd gone a fair way down and John pegged a cast in close the bank where he thought he's seen some movement and got smashed by a big solid Bass. after that the place just went nuts. Bass were hearding a mob of shrimp into a creek mouth and were definatly having their way with them. There were big hits going on all over the place but mostly under overhanging trees and in among some very gnarly snags.
We were both kepy busy for the next hour or so pelting lures into the melee, and were averaging a hookup about every second cast. These were solid fish all about 36 to 42cm and very well conditioned. They fought like fish twice their size and double hookups occured and a number of occasions. I have to say that in about 10 years or more of chasing Bass I have never seen anything like this. We were catching them on hardbodies, soft plastics and spinnerbaits. I reckon that if you had tossed in a bent spoon with a hook attached it would have been hit.
Having said that you had to be very accurate with your casts. The fish were mostly in close to the bank and there was a lot of overhanging vegetation in the way. We had lots of missed strikes as well so operated tag team style with follow up casts to the same spot. We called it a day when it got too dark to see properly and left them to it. We reckoned that the session lasted about an hour to hour and a half and during that time we boated and released over 30 fish. I call that champagne Bass fishing.
JD

fishing is not essential to life, it's much more important

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
Re: Great day up the creek
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:09:17 AM »
Awesome report JD, haven't been back to 'brokenwomble' crk for a few years, good to see the fish are still alive and kicking after all the words of gloom and doom the nay  sayers told all and sundry when the tea tree plantations started.
I will always love that spot, traditional home of the north nsw bass fishermen.
Must get back for a visit again.
Brad

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »
Thanks Bard, I must admit that I had been a bit concerned about it. WE were getting a lot of red spot on the Bass for a while up there due to acid sulphate run off. But the fish we've been getting up there lately have been in great condition, especially the ones we were into. Fought like demons too.
John

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
Great news JD, got to love a session like that, sounds as though fish are heading to the estuarine end of the system already. Any pictures? - Jim

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:37:45 PM »
Jim, I'd say you'd be correct there, these fish were feeding up a storm, just smashing the shrimp all over the place. They are definately getting fattened up for breeding time. I've got some pics and I'll try to post a few. Trouble is I haven't quite figured it out . Bit of a Luddite.
Cheers,
John