Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Time for a Fix.  (Read 20365 times)

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 8
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Time for a Fix.
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
With an invitation to tag along with Glen to Moogerah Dam on wednesday I decided I really needed a break away from my busy schedule of late.
I've never fished Moogerah,steering clear of it and the amount of people that frequent it on water mopeds. ::)
After reading some of Dave's reports of late it was time to have a look.
Rain was hanging around for most of the day but we managed to dodge some of the shower's.Headed over to the Gorge to discover a waterfall and thought it worthy of a cast or two hoping something might be sitting under the outflow and in the dirty water line.Tied on a spinnerbait in gold and cast up against the rock face letting it drift down the front.Started to notice a few missed bumps so kept at it hoping for a hook up.After popping on a SP tail I was eventually rewarded with my first Yella.He went 40cm and I was stoked to have finally caught one.Glen joined me and ended up getting a smaller one.Couldn't seem to hook anymore after that so after enduring a couple of shower's we decided to head down towards the trees and see if we could find some Bass.I managed to troll up a small one on the way thru the trees and Glen also followed with one for himself.
Made the call to head back as we were two cold,wet rats by then. ::)
Thanks Glen for the invite! :thanks

Cheers.

Toni

Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

http://www.ocean-kayak.com.au

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
Re: Time for a Fix.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:50:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing Toni,

Looks like a nice part of the world and congratulations on your first Yella. :youbeauty

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:29:38 AM »
You should also take your Yak down the creek below the dam, there are some nice holes down there. And yes it's me Stu.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
Toni there's a little pool in that water fall. If you climb up you can sit in there.

Stu, sure is some nice water downstream, but a little skinny in places. Probably best for the kayak above the guaging weir (as far as the picnic area goes), then probably best on foot down the gorge to Yarramalong.

Does anyone know if the Gorge campground is still open? Someone told me recently its closed....

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:35:31 AM »
If you are reffering to the camprgound below the wall i hered it was chockers 2 weeks ago . i also hered there was no fishing in a section below the wall is that true ?

Steve

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
If you are reffering to the camprgound below the wall i hered it was chockers 2 weeks ago . i also hered there was no fishing in a section below the wall is that true ?

Steve

Correct Steve. See below.

Closed waters in freshwater areas
Taking or possessing freshwater fish from closed waters is prohibited.

Murray cod cannot be taken from the Barwon, Macintyre or Dumaresq rivers from 1 September to 30 November.

No fish can be taken from Obi Obi Creek all year round between the Baroon Pocket Dam wall and the shortest line across the creek at the southern bank of Skenes Creek. The use and possession of fishing lines in this section of Obi Obi Creek is not permitted.

Waters closed to all forms of fishing
Fishing, which includes collecting, is not allowed in the following areas:

Albert River: from Luscombe Weir to 120 m downstream of the weir.

Balonne River: 100 m upstream to 75 m downstream of Surat Weir; 100 m upstream to 200 m downstream of the Beardmore Dam wall; and 100 m upstream to 115 m downstream of Jack Taylor Weir.

Barwon River: from 100 m upstream to 100 m downstream of Mungindi Weir.

Boyne River (in the Auburn River basin): from 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of the Boondooma Dam wall.

Boyne River (Boyne River basin): 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of the Awoonga Dam wall.

Brisbane River: Old Mount Crosby Weir to 50 m downstream of the weir; 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of Mount Crosby Weir; and Wivenhoe Dam wall to 600 m downstream of the dam wall.

Burdekin River: from 400 m upstream to 400 m downstream of Clare Weir.

Burnett Creek: from 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of the Maroon Dam wall.

Burnett River: 400 m upstream to 400 m downstream of Burnett Barrage; 100 m upstream to 100 m downstream of the Kirar Weir; 50 m upstream to 200 m downstream of Ned Churchward (Walla) Weir; 200 m upstream to 150 m downstream of Claude Wharton Weir; and 500 m upstream to 500 m downstream of the Paradise Dam wall.

Condamine River: 200 m upstream to 200 m downstream of Chinchilla Weir; 400 m upstream to 200 m downstream of Loudon Weir; 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of Lemon Tree Weir; Yarramalong Weir to 200 m downstream of the weir; 150 m upstream to 150 m downstream of Cecil Plains Weir; and from 27#02'24" S 149#57'12" E (approximately 14 km upstream of Reilly’s Weir) to 150 m downstream of Reilly's Weir.

Dawson River: 100 m upstream to 150 m downstream of the Glebe Weir; Gyranda Weir to 200 m downstream of the weir; Orange Creek Weir to 150 m downstream of the weir; 100 m upstream of the Theodore Weir to the downstream side of the Leichhardt Highway (from Taroom to Theodore) bridge on the river; 100 m upstream to 100 m downstream of the Moura Weir; and 400 m upstream of Neville Hewitt Weir to the downstream side of the bridge across the river on the road from Baralaba to Woorabinda.

Dogwood Creek: from 90 m upstream to 100 m downstream of Gil Weir (formerly Miles Weir).

Dumaresq River: from 100 m upstream to 100 m downstream of Bonshaw Weir.

Fitzroy River: 400 m upstream to 400 m downstream of the Fitzroy River Barrage; 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of Eden Bann Weir; and 200 m upstream to 200 m downstream of Wattlebank Control Weir.

Kolan River: from 400 m upstream to 400 m downstream of Kolan Barrage.

Logan River: from 100m upstream to 100 m downstream of Cedar Grove Weir; and 100 m upstream to 100m downstream of South Maclean Weir.

Macintyre Brook: 100 m upstream to 100 m downstream of the Coolmunda Dam spillway wall; 100 m upstream to 50 m downstream of Whetstone Weir; and 100 m upstream to 50 m downstream of Bendor Weir.

Macintyre River: from 150 m upstream to 150 m downstream of Goondiwindi Weir.

Mary River: from 400 m upstream to 400 m downstream of Mary River Barrage.

Nerang River: from Hinze Dam wall to 400 m downstream of the dam wall.

Nogo River: from 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of the Wuruma Dam wall.

Nogoa River: from 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of the Fairbairn Dam wall.

Pike Creek: from 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of the Glenlyon Dam wall.

Pioneer River: 200 m upstream to 200 m downstream of Marian Weir; 200 m upstream to 200 m downstream of Mirani Weir; and 400 m upstream to 250 m downstream of Dumbleton Weir.

Quart Pot Creek: from 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of the Storm King Dam wall.

Reynolds Creek: from 200 m upstream to 300 m downstream of the Moogerah Dam wall.

Sandy Creek: from 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of the Leslie Dam wall.

Severn River: the part of the Severn River commonly known as Queen Mine waterhole, about 6 km west of Ballandean.

Six Mile Creek: from the dam wall at Lake MacDonald to 100 m downstream of the dam wall.

Stuart River: from 750 m upstream to 200 m downstream of the Gordonbrook Dam wall.

Three Moon Creek: from 200 m upstream to 400 m downstream of Cania Dam wall.

Thomson River: from 50 m upstream to 200 m downstream of Fairmount Weir.

Tinana Creek: from 400 m upstream to 400 m downstream of Tinana Creek Barrage.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:36:45 AM »
Sorry to crash your post a bit Toni. The luscombe weir on the albert river gets heavily fished apparrently allot of people dont realise the restrictions as i went for a drive to actually see a fish ladder after work all tho its not functioning only to see dozens of people fishing there. was interesting to see they were catching talapia.