Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Burendong Dam NSW  (Read 12325 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Burendong Dam NSW
« on: October 30, 2010, 07:05:31 PM »
Hi everyone, well after hearing some good reports about my new local inpoundment I decided that it was about time I checked it out, Have not really been fishing much since we moved to mudgee at the start of the year.
Anyway after getting on the water, probably a bit later than I would have liked, the weather was nice warm, a little over cast, and a slight breeze, perfect weather for a paddle.
I had read about catches of 80 odd fish and was hoping for a good day, but after more than an hour without even a touch I was beginning to think I may not be so lucky.
I started out working around some timber in around 20m of water, the sounder was showing me what looked to be like fish but still couldn't get a taker.
I could see a couple k's up the dam a bit of a rock wall, seeing as it was even further away from the skiers I decided it would be a good place to check out.
On the way I trolled a purple and white jackall and picked up a small redfin. Not really anything to get excited about but a fish at least.
The rock wall looked very fishy, some trees about 5m off the bank and in about 10m of water.
I worked the area for a while and had one small yellowbelly swipe at the lure right at the kayak.
Deciding to change lures or swap rods or whatever I was doing, I put a rod in the flushmount holder just behing the seat, Im not sure how but it decided to jump out and go for a swim, for a while, and to my great delight it sat on top a small stump about 10cm under the water, however by the time I had turned the yak around to come back for it I just saw the last glimmer of gold from the reel as it headed for the depths.
Thoughts chucking a wobbly entered my head but I thought I'd probably be able to jag it, it was only about 6-7m deep and I knew exactly where it sank.
My jagging lure was to be a tt switchblade in purple and white again, after about 5 mins a yellowbelly came out and smacked the lure only metres from the kayak.
Any other time I would have been pleased to get a fish but at this moment it was the last thing I was thinking about.
So long story short, I didn't get the rod back, even after about an hour of dragging the bottom, at least I know the yellowbelly like the blade.
Didn't catch anything else after that.
Did find some very nice areas that I will definately fish again.
Will keep you posted and hopefully no more lost gear!

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Burendong Dam NSW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
Dam shame about the lost rod Damo...  :'(

Nice yellowbelly & a little reddie kind of softens the blow just a touch. Not alot of folks use jigs/blades for Golden Perch, I remember a magazine from cover shot by Harro in the 80s of a Somerset Golden taken on a Cicada.

What was the water level?

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Burendong Dam NSW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:09:32 PM »
Thanks Fitzy, local media reports had the water level at 103%.

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events