Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: SEQ Water review of NPD and Kurwongbah.  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
SEQ Water review of NPD and Kurwongbah.
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
The second public consultative meeting was held today. Whilst the numbers were down on the first meeting there was a good cross section of all interested groups including local council and FFSAQ and the consultants and SEQ water providing some initial feedback.
I was my usual slack self and did not take notes but here are some of my recollections.
There will be little changes to Kurwongbah with SEQ water being worried about the transfer of cababomba weed to NPD by allowing any additional uncontrolled  watercraft access.
The rowing club and water ski club will remain with the water ski club investigation methods of reducing the long waiting list for membership.
NPD they are looking at allowing public non motorized craft access at a couple of locations.They received feedback that 2 of the locations that they suggested were not feasible.
I do not know what the impact on the PRFMA,s boating access scheme will be with open access being allowed to the dam.
The fees for the BAS are solely used to stock the dam and this would result in the monies available for stocking being reduced from approx 30k to 7k ( What we got from the SIP this year]per annum,
 it has been suggested that additional sales of sip permits would make up for the loss of the BAS fees but by my reckoning they would hae to sell an additional 700 permits with every one of those allocating the funds to go to NPD
 No possibility of internal combustion craft being allowed.
Looks like some trails for walking,push bikes and horse riding are being looked at.
They are considering a single fee to cover boating access to all SEQ water dams but this decision will not be made until they have reviewed all dams.
Looks like 4 stroke and di 2 strokes will be allowed on wivenhoe with a speed limit of 6 knots.
If you have not made a submission on NPD or Lake K you still have till 11th of Sept to do so.
 Maybe some of the others who attended can add to my comments.
Cheers
Ray

fishing ethics are the things that we do when we are unobserved by others!!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: SEQ Water review of NPD and Kurwongbah.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »
If no changes will be made to Kurwongbah, any monies used there should be reallocated to North Pine.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
No boating access monies ever been used for Kurwongbah only rfep grant and council grants and monies specifically raised for kurwongbah used for stocking kurwongbah, Separate books and bank accounts kept for both dams.
Shame to see one of the best fly fisheries in SEQ locked up .
Another thing that they announced is that major works are required on the dam wall and that the level will be dropped to 50% of fsl for 2 years.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:11:28 PM »
The fact that SEQWater locked it up purely because they are too useless to rid it of cabomba is totally pitiful.  The cr@p they've been pedalling for years about a level playing field for all the dams is an absolute joke.  Wait until Wyaralong comes out.  That water is not fit for human consumption yet they'll tell us boats will pollute it.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »
On ya Basser, don't hold back mate.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 06:39:55 AM »
Re the cabomba weed.
 They have totally ignored the ducks and pelicans and shags that move from dam to dam.
I can understand the risk of cabomba being transferred if a trailer was not washed down but with yaks having a totally smooth hull the risk is non existent.
To my mind the reason is more on economic grounds and the fact that with the lake being relatively small it would be difficult for them to manage shared use but then again people share Atkinsons.
They are shifting the boundary's continually with new risk assessment surveys currently being conducted.
The reason for not allowing internal combustion engines on a lot of dams is if the treatment works are deemed to be "primary"{ think that is the term used it means that the treatment works are close to the dam whereas with Somerset and Wivenhoe the Brisbane river is used to transport the water to MT Crosby and any pollution is dispersed in the river)
They may have got a kick in the pants by the Minister to get their finger out but in my opinion they still appear to be very slack about the whole process.
When selecting new access points one would think that they would speak to their own rangers who know the dam and adjacent areas instead of looking at google and saying this will do.
This has been going on for years and now only commencing due diligence ?
 Smacks of either lack of commitment or incompetence to me.
Then how many years before the new public access areas completed?
 My estimate for NPD would be at least 3 years with roads ,car parks and ramps to be built.
Wonder what the proposed combined boating fee will be as there will have to be a lot of new infrastructure provided and they do not appear to be thinking of charging for other use of their areas such as picnicking.
 Cheers
 Ray the pessimist