Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Permits for Lake Somerset.  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Permits for Lake Somerset.
« on: May 30, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »
Some of you would have seen the poll I put up last week. 
The reason I did that poll was to answer some questions I had after some discussions with SEQWater.  Here are my emails and the replies:

Sent: Wednesday, 22 May 2013 10:18 AM
To: Recreation
Subject: boating permits at Lake Somerset

Hello,

On my last visit to Lake Somerset I purchased a boating permit.  Could you please advise the reason for this permit and where the money raised from these permits is spent.

Regards,

Dale Sinclair

Sent: Wednesday, 22 May 2013 3:36 PM
To: 'Dale Sinclair'
Subject: RE: boating permits at Lake Somerset

Good afternoon Dale
The permit itself  is issued as a means to educate lake users about the restrictions and site specific requirements for the lake they intend to use. The statistical data collected aids the strategic recreation planning process.
Monies raised from the sale of permits goes back into the provision and maintenance of recreational and boating facilities.
We are currently entering into a process to review the recreational activity requirements  (including boating permits) at all Seqwater sites  and the outcomes of this review will dictate future requirements.

Regards

Sent: Monday, 27 May 2013 12:24 PM
To: Recreation

Thank you for the reply Lyn,

I have asked many of my friends, both fishing and Jetskiing people, and of the 30 people asked, only two had been offered any education on restrictions, and one had asked for information and been given it.  That is only 10% of the Permit buyers being given any education.  This may be an area for improvement when you are reviewing your processes.  In my own experience, I have never been offered education. 
At Easter time this year, I went to the Spit.  We have two Jetskis which are carried on a single trailer.  When I stopped to buy my permit, I was surprised when the Ranger wrote out a single permit, added both registration numbers of the vessels to the single permit and charged me double the price for the permit.  I didn’t receive any education on regulations, I only used the ramp once and we didn’t use any of the other facilities.  On leaving, we stopped at the toilet block and my partner refused to use the Ladies so I doubt much of the funds raised from the Permits are used in the upkeep of the toilets.
I can’t see a reasonable need for me to pay double the amount of any other boater when I don’t get twice the benefit.  Perhaps you could explain.

Regards,
Dale Sinclair

Sent: Wednesday, 29 May 2013 3:56 PM
To: 'Dale Sinclair'
Good afternoon Dale
I have captured your feedback regarding the education process for inclusion in the recreation review that is currently underway. If you would like to have further input into this review process you can do so at http://www.seqwater.com.au/recreview

It is permissible for any authorised person issuing permits to record multiple vessels on the one permit form for the one owner. The fee is charged per vessel.

The number of visitors to Lake Somerset ( and in fact all of the Seqwater lakes) at Easter is usually exceptionally high and this makes it difficult for the limited staff resources  to constantly maintain all of the public amenities. I have passed your concerns on to the coordinator for Somerset and asked that the concerns be considered in planning for next years high visitor numbers.
Regards

The emails from SEQWater do contradict themselves.  Why should a boater have to pay for the maintenance of the facilities when day trippers without a boat get to use the facilities for nothing?  Why, if I have two vessels on one trailer do I have to pay twice to use the ramp once?  I do hope some of these issues are dealt with in the upcoming review, but I honestly doubt that we'll see a level playing field for all of the SEQWater lakes.
My next option is to take this to the ACCC to ask them to investigate the double charge.  I'm still contemplating this, as I don't want to alienate the SEQWater staff that I have to interact with in the fish stocking.  If you want to have your say, please register on the SEQWater site here:

http://www.seqwater.com.au/recreview

Times are changing, and as Recreational Anglers and Recreational Water Users we have to be involved, and be heard, otherwise we could see things change to our detriment.

Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: queensland
Re: Permits for Lake Somerset.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »
Toowoomba regional council uses a toll gate $2.50 per vehicle no boating permits on cressbrook and cooby a lot fairer for every body

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Permits for Lake Somerset.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:20 PM »
A much fairer arrangement.  All users of the facilities pay for them.