Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Mary River Cod  (Read 28455 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 1
  • Freshwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba Dam
Mary River Cod
« on: May 27, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »

Should the Mary Valley Cod of which is a Native/Natural species listed as a (protected Species) in the Mary Valley, Wide Bay and Burnett areas be able to be targeted as per other impoundments

Within our creeks, rivers and impoundments are the introduction of tens of thousands of Murray River Cod from the Nerrandra Research Station in NSW  and as quoted from Mr Don Tuma who worked with DPI&F for most of his working life in Brisbane, he quoted tens of thousands of Murray Cod have been introduced within our systems, therefore is there a generic pure blood Mary River Cod anymore.

If you intend to  fish in the Cressbrook, Hinze, Maroon, Moogerah, North Pine, Somerset, Wivenhoe Dams, & the Bill Gunn Dam and Clarendon Dam you are allowed one Mary River Cod min 50cm per angler.

What are your thoughts for future fishing as most anglers practise catch and release

From experience, Mary River Cod are prolific throughout our river and creek systems.

Food for thought, will be interesting!!

Regards Graeme

Borumba Fishing 'n' Outdoors
Borumba "Home of the Toga"
Live Bait - Worms
Frozen Bait - Prawns, Mullet Heads, W.A. Pilchards.
Queensland Fishing Permits
Extensive range of freshwater lures.
Catering for Saratoga, Australian Bass, Golden & Silver Perch & Murray Cod plus many other species
Open 7 days a week
Camping & Boating supplies available.
Free detailed maps of Lake Borumba.
EFTPOS available

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
Re: Mary River Cod
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
 :OMG How do you reply to this.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
I'm still trying to read it, and ignore some of the assumptions made.  Not real sure about 10s of thousands of Murray Cod released into "our" system.  I know of some in farm dams where wivenhoe now is, but I've heard of none being electro fished in the Mary River system.   As for most anglers being catch and release, where'd you pick up that gem?

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 89
  • Liked: 4
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: water
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »
Hrrrmmmmmmm :walkplank

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »
It would be great to see some documentation and supporting data regarding this. I'm not sure if there has been many if any Murray Cod released into the Mary River system. There's been million on Murray's put into the Qld section of the Murray/Darling system (which covers 23% of the total catchment) &  hundreds of thousands of Mary's put into the Mary system.

I'm a bit either way allowing MRCs to be targetted and caught in Borumba Dam as its not a natural environment, if the fish there are stocked using recreational fishing funds and the intention is for a recreational MRC fishery to be established on the lake. However I know from past experience the B&FP people will opposite the idea based upon the problems with enforcement. How do they tell the difference between a lake caught & river caught cod on the side of the road or in someone's freezer/icebox? I believe the lack of patrols & enforcement would see this scenario almost impossible to happen, but I can guarantee that is what will be said.

I would oppose the taking of Mary's in rivers & creeks of the Mary, Pine, Brisbane, Bremer, Coomera, Nerang, Logan, Caboolture & Albert on going until some serious population/recruitmemt studies are undertaken that prove that Marys are no longer critically endangered.

One problem that needs fixing is the rivers "upstream" of lakes/dams. Cod in these can be butchered like a cow if caught....WRONG.
eg there is no protection for MRCs caught in the stanley river at all & the Brisbane river above Wivenhoe, Samsonvale & Hinze dams are kill zones (bag/size limits apply)....

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
Re: Mary River Cod - Repose
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »
Well this topic certinley created a mixed response.

If you doubt my word, which many of you have, just contact a Mr Don Tuma from Beerwah to verify all my data, please go straight ahead as it came straight from him verbally) and Don is also the producer of a 635 page book called Fil-o-Fish Australia who spent approx 40 years documenting and photographing every known Saltwater & Freshwater Fish Species and has done a fantastic job for identifaction purposes.

Don, as I stated worked most of his life with DPI&F in Brisbane and as the trains that came in from NSW with Murray River Fingerlings in large vat like containers, it was his job to ensure that all stock were healthy before being delived to North Coast Rail Stations for release into our Rivers Dams etc and he stated that many 10's of thousands have been released into our system, so my question still is - do you still think that we have pure generic Mary Cod ???

Don also stated that in those days noboby could tell the difference between a Murry River Cod and a Mary River Cod.

Ok, I have promoted catch and release for more than 30 years now and still do, so my question is why do we have many specific dams throughout SEQ that have been allocated to a daily Mary River Cod catch allotment per angler and yet numerous anglers that come to this area from (Vic. NSW & Qld) and feel that they are discriminated against targeting the Cod for a Photo and their release.

We in Qld appear to have double standards, ok for many but not the others.

Graeme

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »
Having just returned from Far North Qld and seen one "angler" fill 3 freezers I don't think we can trust a lot of people not to take what they can when they can. The "kill it and fillet" crew are still alive and well and enforcement is well behind the 8ball anyway. I would hate to see any change in Mary River Cod's protection status, and it should be state wide until firm scientific evidence exists that they are no longer in danger. By the way on the subject of enforcment, A freezer filler coming out of the Territory was grabbed and his freezer/s explored. The Police, who in the NT double as Fisheries inspectors releived him of his Ford F250, his 5th wheeler and his boat and fishing gear. He was left with what he stood up and and still has to face the music in the Darwin Court. We need more of this.
Cheers,
John

Offline Member

• Serial kayak seller and buyer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 114
  • Liked: 18
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Mary River Cod - Repose
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
so my question still is - do you still think that we have pure generic Mary Cod ???

Nah the MRC is a myth, I know I have never caught one. Caught a handful of Murray's though. It's like a unicorn bass for me. Can't get one.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
If you intend to  fish in the Cressbrook, Hinze, Maroon, Moogerah, North Pine, Somerset, Wivenhoe Dams, & the Bill Gunn Dam and Clarendon Dam you are allowed one Mary River Cod min 50cm per angler.

Regards Graeme

So how do you know that any of these above dams have even/ever stocked MR Cod ? I have never seen any figures from any group about what and when they stock any species of fish and from what I heard - I'm lead to believe that fisheries do not have the correct figures either.

Mac

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
I've personally released Mary River Cod into Lakes Somerset and Wivenhoe.

Table 4: Summary of official stockings of Mary River cod in impoundments in southeast Queensland.
IMPOUNDMENT PERIOD STOCKED   NUMBER STOCKED
Baroon Pocket Dam     1991-94       4600
Borumba Dam              1992-93       2150
Lake Macdonald            1983-98      30000
Wivenhoe Dam             1992-98        5700
Somerset Dam             1988-98         6907
Cressbrook Dam          1989-98         4603
Moogerah Dam             1990-98         2100
Hinze Dam                   1991-94          6560
Maroon Dam                1987-98           2510
Lake Samsonvale         1993-95           1960

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
I'm still trying to read it, and ignore some of the assumptions made.  Not real sure about 10s of thousands of Murray Cod released into "our" system.  I know of some in farm dams where wivenhoe now is, but I've heard of none being electro fished in the Mary River system.   As for most anglers being catch and release, where'd you pick up that gem?

There are absolutley no assumptions made in my article, just contact Mr Don Tuma from Beerwah to confirm all data.
Don stated that during his work with DPI&F that 10's of thousands of stock were released into our systeme.
Re - Catch and Release - over the past 30 odd years of being in the fishing business I suspect that the majority of my customers are truthfull unlike a few others.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 02:48:34 PM »
Sorry, I don't know Don Tuma from Beerwah so I cannot contact him.  Perhaps you could ask him to come on here and publicly state his opinion.  I'm unsure as to what you are hoping to accomplish from this.  You obviously have a vested interest, operating a fishing business on the Mary River, I can see bucks to be made for you by having open slather.  I'm sure the buyers of your Prawns and Mullet Heads are hard core catch and release fans in the river there too.  30 years in the fishing industry, and you believe that Mary River Cod don't exist.  Sorry, all I can do is shake my head and laugh at you.  Do you know many people who have caught both Mary River Cod and Murray Cod?  Have you ever compared a Mary River Cod to a Murray Cod?  Is Mr. Tuma the only person from DPI & F who is telling the truth.  Are all the others lying to us, and Parliament about the existence of Mary River Cod in the Mary River.  Was the Traveston Dam excersize a farce?  Were they really breeding Murray Cod at Gerry Cook Hatchery in Cooroy?  This: http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/publications/recovery/mary-river-cod/pubs/mary-river-cod.pdf was obviously a scam too.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Sandy Straights
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 09:58:40 AM »
I have always found Graeme a pretty reasonable bloke and believe he does have a geniune interest in the fishery and its sustainability.  I have caught a MRC in the upper Mary River and several Murrays out west and yes there were differences in the fish, so i would think that the MRC existing in the Mary River are pure MRC. 

I for one would hate to see the MRC come off the protected list.  I don't know why, but out of all the fish I have ever caught, it was the one that gave me butterflies in the guts when I realised what it was when still fighting it and I was more nervous and careful to ensure it was handed and released safely than I have ever been before or since with any other fish.  Can't explain it, but that was its effect.

There are still too many reports of meato type fisherman about (such as described by John) to assume anything else would happen if the rules would change.

My opinion only.
Steve

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
There is some recent DNA sampling that has been done on the cod in the Mary River.

No murray cod cod DNA found. There is a variation found from the cod in the Mary River proper & Tinana Creek.

I'm thinking this whole Murray in the Mary thing is either:

A - a conspiracy / cover up,
B - Chinese whispers / misunderstanding on the murray cod in the mary thing, or
C - someone is full of it

Maybe global warming killed off those tens of thousands of nasty western fish.   :OMG

Agendas aside. I can't see the Status Quo changing any time soon without some evidence to support the 2nd hand verbal report that started this topic.

:popcorn)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 01:59:12 AM »
There have been Murray Cod stocked in Boondooma, BP, Moondara, Fairbairn and only former DPI staff like Don know where else in the Burnett, Burdekin, Fitzroy/Dawson and God knows where else, this is fact.
Mary's stocked in Boondooma and BP as well.