Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Regarding the sharing of information  (Read 20766 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 11
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Diamond(JB)
Re: Regarding the sharing of information
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
Agreed John. The larger grazers that operate on huge stations with(as I said before) low stocking densities are not really a problem. Smaller beef and especially Dairy farms and most cropping entiprises are the problem. Just look at the state of most rivers and creeks in sugar cane and Bannana areas. And what really blows me away is that when you talk too the people that operate these farms they will swear black and blue that their efforts of draining swamps, clearing to the waters edge,de-snnagging the waterways so on and so forth have nothing to do with the degredation of the water. Apparently the only thing doing damage are the Feral pigs. It is this mentality that drives me nuts. Absolutely no different to the w@nker that talks about how back in the days they used to fill the bottom of the boat with trout and then turns around and wonders aloud why fish are so hard to catch nowadays. If only people would look themselves squarely in the eyes, admit that they are wrong and do something about it. Unfortunately though people like that are in the minority. And that is why I believe that the law needs to be changed.

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 01:46:18 PM »
As a grower of horticulture for twenty years and land care coordinator for the past 10 I have some firsthand knowledge on this issue.

First off Trev if you’re still onboard with this thread your attitude to ownership (yes I understand it was not a literal comment) of the river is just the stuff we need :thumbsup.  Landholders that look beyond the fence, particularly with regard to their off farm impacts are the backbone of land care without doubt and a pleasure for people like me to work with.  Those landholders that have production outcomes as their only priority are the tough ones to get around, not impossible but hard work.

Small block holders - some are on the ball, whilst some have purchased a ‘green change’ and are ill prepared for that custodian roll that comes with land ownership.  If they are still around in a decade and not sold up their attitudes generally start to change.  Their biggest problem is their lack of resources (time and money) to be good land custodians unless the place has some production basis and is turning a profit.

Large landholders - pastoralists (or at least their managers) generally have a good understanding of land care, it’s a matter of a balancing act and clearly defined laws relating to their activities that are enforceable and enforced. 
Often the missing link in change is the compliance component, a shortfall that sits squarely with Government and almost always under resourced much to the dismay of Agency staff working at that local and regional level that can see the issues but are helpless to deal with it. 

Over here we have a 30 metre buffer reserve between waterway and freehold land.  Pastoral land due to its vast size is a bit different.  There the buffer exists there are two common complaints – one from the bordering landholder that the Government is not managing that land effectively and it is a haven for weeds and ferals – two from the Government that landholders are either impacting on that land with their practices or are coming onto the land and using it or managing it in some way. The odd landholder has run afoul of the law by controlling weeds on crown land.

A quick note on pastoral activities around waterways.  With Government reluctant to manage buffer areas and as consequence no Agency wanting to put their hand up to take it on with no adequate funding attached at least we get some partial management through the landholder. The differences between the health of land managed by Government and landholders is often chalk and cheese due to that overarching lack of recourses allocated by Government.  Policing, education and health all have their mouths well and truly entrenched in the Treasury trough.  Agriculture and land care feed off the scraps unfortunately.

Access is the unseen destroyer of much of our environment, particularly when it comes to fires that burn for weeks as a result.  Many fires are deliberately lit to clear an area to fish, hunt bush turkey or provide light.  Look at the fire scars of Northern Australia at the end of the year and you get the picture http://www.firenorth.org.au/nafi2/ .  My mention of track erosion in my 4WD post is something only landholders are aware of, they wear the consequences.  Cut fences, gates left open and people keeping stock off watering points by camping there are just a few of the litany of problems faced by landholders trying to work on the land.  Why tossers insist on driving down main tracks after rain just to test their 4WDing prowess is beyond me, it costs a landholder or the Shire thousands in road maintenance each year because of this sort of stuff. 

If we had a simple choice of banning either agricultural production or recreational access in far Northern Australia as a means of improving the environment there is no doubt banning access would be the most effective tool.  The cumulative impacts of individuals unaware of their impacts are a significant problem.  I go back to fire as a good example.  Its impact on our waterways is enormous but people don’t make the link.  We’re an uneducated mob when it comes to our impacts on land and water. As neither will ever happen it’s a matter of fighting a rearguard action until we can get on top of it. 

The above doesn’t apply in every situation; some landholders are arseholes, some river uses are much the same. There are all sorts all over and to go forward you have to look at the positives and use them as guiding lights. Just remember land care starts with the individual.   

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »
Dick,

Nice words, its sometimes a little difficult to get the right/correct meaning across, but education and advancement in care especially weed control from governments in pastoral laneways, crown land, stock routes and waterways is a massive headache. Both for the adjacent landholders and the waterways.

Live at the coast now and the biggest problem with weeds etc. (State parks, National parks, world heritage area) no funding for weed/pest control and the government will crack down on a landholder for daring to clear what is coming onto his property.

Its worthwhile for some of our fellow fishermen/women to realise the difficulties faced by others.

It is not all about just one group, but a mixture of all.

Regards

Trev

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
Got a roll at my place if you want to call in. I got it from hardware store.

cheers,

fitz..

Nah

all good mate. Went to the hardware myself.

100 meter roll / 25mm pink fluro tape. Was in the brickies section.

Now to get to work with it.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »
This topic has  certainly drawn some comment.  My initial point was that it seems like Victoria has the right idea when it comes to use of land and access to waterways, actively promoting recreational fishing and other water activities and policing the areas.  We drove between yarrawOnga and rutherglen on both sides
of the Murray this week and went down just abOut every access road to the Murray and ovens rivers.  We saw hundreds of campers and enough rangers to police them.  We didn't see any irresponsible behavior or rubbish.  I have  priced that the closer you get to big cities the more yobbo activity you find.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 06:48:52 PM »
Tagged my first sign post today.

Sunshine coast way(inland).

So bit of pick fluro ribbon is out there.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: unicorn forest
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »
Good work Steve  :GoodPost)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:32 AM »
See if I can do a few more today AL.

Off now.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 08:43:10 AM »
Tagged my first sign post today.

Sunshine coast way(inland).

So bit of pick fluro ribbon is out there.

:youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »