Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Double Or Single  (Read 8366 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Double Or Single
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:09:11 AM »
G'day Fellas,
Following on from the other thread on leaders !   I'm just wondering , how many of you guys use double braid to your leader ???  Is it a must ??? Does it strengthen your join to the leader ???
I have been doing the double on most of my gear , but I seem to be a minority down here amongst the cod fishos .
What are your thoughts ??????
cheers AL

Proud Member Of The F.F.F.C

I SUPPORT "WE FISH"

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Double Or Single
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:17:21 AM »
If you learn to tie a Slim Beauty you can do away with the double.  You'll get a knot that's easier to cast too.  My brother is a Codger from around Mulwala.  He refuses to use a leader, and runs 35lb Spiderwire straight to the lure.  My other brother up here runs 50lb Finns or Bionic straight to his Barra lures.  They've both landed bigger cod and bigger barra than I have so I can't tell them they're doing it wrong.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 24
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:55:36 AM »
Thanks Dale ,
I use to run the braid straight to the lure aswell , untill I done a trip to Morgan in SA chasing big deepwater cod !! After 2 days the last 10-15ft  of braid was knackered from where it had been rubbing over all the rock ledges ! so ever since I've been using leader
cheers AL

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:56:41 AM »
If you learn to tie a Slim Beauty you can do away with the double.  You'll get a knot that's easier to cast too.  My brother is a Codger from around Mulwala.  He refuses to use a leader, and runs 35lb Spiderwire straight to the lure.  My other brother up here runs 50lb Finns or Bionic straight to his Barra lures.  They've both landed bigger cod and bigger barra than I have so I can't tell them they're doing it wrong.

Not running a leader flys in the face of everything we come to take for gospel hey Dale!! I know they catch fish. It seems to work for them. go figure. :)
I know Paul Dolan put me onto 150lb braid for a leader for Barra. That works. But I lost confidence in it when I lost a fish.
Randall

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »
Harro is the best to respond to this thread
 Braid straight to the hook is fine as long as there is no abrasive in the water.
 Big logs like you have on the Murray dont damage braid like rocks do.
 The main reason you tie a double to join mono to braid, is the braid is sharp and cuts mono, the double spreads the load over more area in the knot

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:43 PM »

Braid straight to the hook is fine as long as there is no abrasive in the water.

I do that occasionally in weedy areas, but I'd suggest I get away with it because my braid doesn't look like a technicolour yawn on LSD! I use the dark green spiderwire on my barra reels. I dont think some of those really flouro coloured braids would be much good!

I just attach my leader with an albright, nothing fancy, no doubling of the braid or anything, does the job for me.

But then again I use loop knots, not clips, so my leader gets replaced 2 or 3 times a day as it gets shorter than i like (I start with my leader just shorter than the distance between my reel and the rod tip, I dont like the knot under my thumb when casting)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 82
  • Liked: 18
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:50 PM »
I know Paul Dolan put me onto 150lb braid for a leader for Barra. That works.
Randall yeh mate that was a great system tied with a slm beauty but since going to wind on's I wont use anything else.

Paul

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
Agree Paul...I`ve gone to wind ons myself lately. Nothing on them just yet after Monduran donut recently when we saw you up there. :) Dam pretty quiet all round apart from some distant smoke signals. :o

Randall

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:04:46 AM »
A bimini twist double is an absolute must for me whether I am fishing light or heavy lines and leaders or wind ons.  After practice and hand/knee usage a bimini becomes very easy to tie I am convinced it gives that extra security in connection strength.

Shaun

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »
*doubled main line through the albright ( tied correctly) gives increasd strength at the knot- why- 2 lines are in use.
The weakness then becomes the bimini. Let 10 anglers tie a bimini and I bet you end up with 10 varied results. The more biminis I tied over time, the faster and more efficient I became at tying them- the end result was weaker biminis. They can be tied too fast and too tight. I learnt via a full circle of experience, and a successful bimini double tied to an albright knot is a great connection. It's used in all of my fishing pursuits as well; from blue water to fresh water; as Shaun says.
Johnny Mitchell

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
Being a bit of a knot perfectionist, that's a few interesting notes on your bimini tying experience JM.  Over the years I have had a couple of bimini's fail at the very top of the twist on very light braid and was never quite sure why.  A mental note has been taken to make sure I don't tie it too tight  which may have been the cause in those cases.  It's pretty easy to tie them tight with light braid vs heavy braid.

Shaun