Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Snappy (er) Tom Time.  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 8
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Snappy (er) Tom Time.
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:20:05 PM »
Yeah I know..it's a rusty report but had to share this one with you all.... ;)

With the weather starting to get that chill in the air at night, the salt has been calling my name for a couple of weeks now. With the wind not playing ball for me last week I had planned to hit the saltwater a fair bit these four days off. With the tides opposite to what I normally fish for my target area I was abit unsure of what I may find. Only one way to find out and that was to go fishing!!!
Launched around 3pm to catch the last of the run in tide and headed out to my marks. Paddling out it was really enjoyable to be home on the salt. I hadn’t realised how much I had missed it!! ;)
Poked around and found some bait balls huddling together and it wasn’t long before I’d fired off the first cast for the afternoon. I normally use 3in Gulps in the Mouldy Cheese but I decided today to force myself out of my comfort zone and use something else. A 3in Atomic Prong was nailed to the cross and it wasn’t long before I felt that tell tale tap tap. Someone was home!!!
A couple of casts later and I had my first hook up for the afternoon only to drop it. I realised that I hadn’t set the hook enough. BUGGER!!! ???
Next cast out and tap tap again...this time I felt him pick it up and tear off....wait...wait...BANG! Got him and I drove that hook home well and truly this time. Not dropping this one!!...Well my 1000 Sedona screamed at me wondering why I was punishing it in such a way. Love this little reel on my 2-4 kg XL T-Curve but even I thought I had bitten off more than we could both chew. When was this fish going to stop!! Just held it for and waited for it to slow down and I vainly gained a little bit of line back. I looked down and realised I had better do abit more as there wasn’t alot of line left on the spool. Tightened up the drag a smidgen and started to slowly get some line back and after about 5 mins I had the fish beside the yak. This fish looked like a new PB!! WOOHOO YAY!!!!! :OMG
Home and hosed in the net and dispatched for measure later. Back into the fray I went but not before I retired that little Sedona for a well earned rest. Next I grabbed the Duff rod with a 2500 Sol on board. That’s a little better I thought, heavier line as the Sedona only has 4lb on it!!! ??? ::)
After that first cracker of a Snapper I preceded to pull the nursery up one after the other. Had a ball on the Atomic Prong even after I cut it down after the big fella mangled it!! Threw on my trusty favourite in the Mouldy Cheese and pulled another two more in on it but I couldn’t find any further bigger models. Fished out deeper but found the majority of the fish holding in 12 – 17 ft of water and all on the bottom.
Back in after only a couple of hours and I couldn’t think of a better way to spend an afternoon during the week!!
 ;)

Toni

Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

http://www.ocean-kayak.com.au

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: Snappy (er) Tom Time.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:26:09 PM »
Im not suprised dufman isnt asking you to cough up for that rod you wont give back  ;D

Looks like some nice fishing

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
Re: Snappy (er) Tom Time.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:49:09 AM »