Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Recognition of fishing permits across State Borders.  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Gwydir system
Recognition of fishing permits across State Borders.
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »
Fishing permits, a fact of life. But why aren't fishing permits recognised across State Borders? Driving licences are, boat licenses and regos are, so why aren't fishing permits. To me it makes sense to have the States recognise each other's permits. Handy for those fishing various border areas plus it wouldn't harm the tourist trade. C'mon ministers responsible give a little instead of taking. All we want to do is fish.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
Re: Recognition of fishing permits across State Borders.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:36:11 AM »
quote...  To me it makes sense to have the States recognise each other's permits. Handy for those fishing various border areas plus it wouldn't harm the tourist trade. C'mon ministers responsible give a little instead of taking. All we want to do is fish. ....end quote

Two sides to this argument mate, the Qld SIP is used to raise funds to stock local dams, so someone from interstate doing it for free is borderline bludging.

An example, we fish on Hinze Dam and one year met about 4 grey nomad blokes fishing beside the ramp on winter holidays from down south, fished the dam every day with bait and who took home a couple of fish each day according to their comments, giving sport and cheap tucker.

Told them about the reason for the Hinze permit and they said good idea, but only here a couple of months so would not worry, so that is abusing the fishing and only ones being hurt are local anglers paying their way.

To go interstate and buy a local permit that contributes to those waters is acceptable in my opinion, particularly when short term fees are generally seasonable in cost.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »
As Dodge said, the Queensland SIP Scheme puts money directly into the hands of the Volunteer Stocking Groups who put the fish in the dams.  NSW and Victorian licenses do not.  To fish in the Ocean in Queensland you don't need a license at all.  Legally, there must be some reason that NSW don't call their Fishing Receipts, Licenses too, and I doubt that other States would recognise just a receipt.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »
I hear ya but then again, I am happy to contribute to the state's fishing infastructure via permits, licenses and SIPs each time I go interstate.
Vic license fees cover fresh and salt go to various projects not limited to fish stocking.
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/recreational-fishing-grants-program

Cheers, NS