Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: I'ts Now Cania !!!!  (Read 7193 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
I'ts Now Cania !!!!
« on: October 14, 2010, 04:25:26 AM »
G'day guys
With only 5 days before we leave & after some ordinary reports commin in to me about the water quality at Boondoomah !!  I made the last minute decision to change the plans to give Cania a go instead  :thumbsup :thumbsup
I hope that I've don ethe right thing :D
So not exactly being an expert on these bassy things , I could use any tips that anyone's willing to share !! Do you fish them similar to what you would Yellas??   As in casting  ?? Do ya pick them up on the troll ?? & from what I here if they're down deep ya jig them !!
Absolutely any help is appreciated guys . Thanks in advance
Cheers AL

Proud Member Of The F.F.F.C

I SUPPORT "WE FISH"

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
Re: I'ts Now Cania !!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 05:22:32 AM »
Hey Al,

To aswer your questions, the answers are yes, yes and yes.  ;D

This time of the year they tend to leave the main basins after schooling for many months from mid winter. However you will find them still schooling up and this is when jigging ice jigs and casting blades at them will be effective. Trolling through these areas after finding these fish can also be just as effective.

As for casting, just like most native fish, find structure that is worth casting at, get that lure working at the right depth and I'll sure you'll score a Bass or two. Spinnerbaits can be a great option counting the lure down to where the fish are holding, a quick jerk with the rod to get the lure working and then retreive it in various manners until they start chewing. A technique I like to use is to free spool the lure during a retieval pattern, a lot of the time Bass will hit the lure on the drop. 

Use your fish finder to locate the fish mate and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Good luck!

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 05:58:31 AM »
Thanks Dave  :youbeauty
I have a good collection of jackalls ,spinnerbaits ,blades etc ,but sounds like I better invest in a few ice jigs . Ya can never fave too many lures  :) They'd be handy down here when the reddies are goin
cheers AL

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »
Cania can & does fish ok for bass. Bracey's tips should do well. However dont forget about the fish that put Cania on the map; Saratoga. Can catch them from the boat ramp right up the top of Three Moon Creek as far as you can go.

Can catch them on lure, spinners, spoons, jigs, fly, plastic or bait. Spinners work a treat if you're not of the long rod persuasion. If the bass are in an edge bite mood you can get both species on fly, spinners, blades, rattlers, divers .......

Be off the water before dark, the phantom gnats can be thick as buggery there & flock to a light like moths.

I used to go there hafl a dozen times a year until they introduced gar. Ruined a great fly fishery IMHO.

It's a bit dated but this aticle might help http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/CaniaArticle.htm

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:49:28 AM »
Cania can & does fish ok for bass. Bracey's tips should do well. However dont forget about the fish that put Cania on the map; Saratoga. Can catch them from the boat ramp right up the top of Three Moon Creek as far as you can go.

Be off the water before dark, the phantom gnats can be thick as buggery there & flock to a light like moths.  

fitz..
Thanks Fitzy
Gnats ???  Are these like sandflies or something ????
I would have thought that a bit of night fishing with surface lures would be the go on alake like that under a near full moon ????
cheers al

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »
They're kind of like Midgee flies. I've bever had a bite from one, but there's millions of them at times & they flock around any light like you cannot imaging. Even nav lights can get swarmed. Motoring will see you cop them in the face, eyes, mouth. Take a face shield...

fitz..