Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Slow the Slaughter of our native fish - do your part!  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Clair Hall Dam
Slow the Slaughter of our native fish - do your part!
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »

This is a follow up thread from Nativeman (Sel).

I tracked down the gentleman who handles complaints for fisheries Mr Brett Depper - (Fitzy and others may have heard of him).

I re-laid my experience when coming across these white bucker killers and asked his advice on what to do?

A couple of points:

Call the hotline and lodge a complaint - if you don't complain there is no imputes to do anything about it so keep the pressure on and call, write or email.

Video/pictures of the fisherman/people, illegal fish and registration where possible is extremely handy and will allow them to follow up if they can not attend the scene. Obviously be very careful of your personal safety when doing this.

You may Text Brett Depper on 0419 704 529 - with location and description of what you have seen. Rego's are very handy.

A couple of other points:

I asked Brett what are the initiatives in terms of people being deputised - answer - zero! when the new government came in the plan was scrapped. If we write to the MP for that area and or the Minister for Fisheries this is the only way to change this.

Wivenhoe and Somerset are stocked impoundments - therefore its not really viewed as a massive target for fisheries, not saying they don't target it but less so. Wild systems more so !

Overall Brett and their team do there best within the budget and limits of their resources.

So we can be his eyes and ears on the water, my suggestion in an age of smart phones and Go Pro's, record the offenders if you can and pass the information on.

Brett mentioned a few fines rcentley of around the $455 for four undersized fish and they have fined people up to $6000.

So if you see illegal fishing, netting etc WE HAVE TO RECORD IT!!!!

Call up and or text! I will be trying and doing my part.......it wont stop the slaughter but it will help in some small way.

Cheers

Bryan

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
Re: Slow the Slaughter of our native fish - do your part!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:25:12 AM »
The letter to the MP is particularly important because they are the people who control the fisheries budget.
 Cheers
Ray