Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 16
Comments (0)

Views: 14
Comments (0)

Views: 15
Comments (0)

Views: 12
Comments (0)

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Next
General Discussion / Re: What weed is this?
« Last post by Member on Today at 08:18:49 PM »
The leaves look like Castor Oil Plant. Castor Oil plant has thorns / slikes on the stems too. It is also the plant from which ricin, one of the most toxic poisons, is made. Do NOT muck around with the fruit / seed pods.
News Views & Press Releases / A wrap up of festive season fishing
« Last post by Member on Today at 04:01:07 PM »
A wrap up of festive season fishing

Christmas/New Year saw many anglers heading to the Central Highlands. Although the conditions were windy at times, anglers reported great catches from a number of waters.
Anglers trolling lead lines on yingina/Great Lake took bags of up to 10 fish. Green and gold cobra lures worked well, as did frog pattern flatfish lures.
Arthurs Lake fished well. Fly and lure anglers reported good catches of strong healthy fish from the shore.
As always, Woods Lake gave up some nice fish. Lure anglers seemed to have the most success in the middle of the lake. Fly anglers took some nice fish on dry flies from the shallows in the South West corner.
Anglers at Bronte Lagoon trolling cobra lures took good bags of fish. Nearby, the Bradys Chain of lakes was quiet. Pine Tier Lagoon produced many fish. One group of anglers, fishing with grasshoppers for bait, reported over 80 fish taken in three days.
Penstock Lagoon fished very well. Anglers reported good dun hatches even on the roughest of days. Little Pine Lagoon also saw excellent dun hatches.
Great fishing was reported from the Nineteen Lagoons area, with polaroiding available on the sunny days. Tailing fish were reported during low light conditions.
In all Fisheries Officers inspected 332 angling licences and 75 boats during the period. Twenty-two infringement notices were issued for a range of offences under Inland Fisheries and MAST legislation. By far the biggest ongoing issue at our inland waters is the failure to wear life jacket/personal floatation device (PFD). Given the fatalities that have occurred on inland waters over the past few years, there is zero tolerance for failing to wear a PFD.
Happy new year to all anglers from all of us at IFS! Let’s hope the fantastic fishing experienced over the Christmas/New Year period continues throughout the year!
Source: A wrap up of festive season fishing
General Discussion / Egeria Densa submerged aquaitc weed
« Last post by Member on January 12, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »
HI All

I am trying to track down this weed very common around the freshwaters of Sydney  Nepean, Georges, Woronora, Lane cove
found some recently in the Kangaroo River Kangaroo Valley  appears to be in many creeks Toongabbie Cabramatta that I have seen
Without being to alarmist its bad  because it disrupts the ecosystem of the river chokes out native vegetation and will completely dominate a waterway with no natural predator even carp wont eat it.
It will only get worsehttp ://weeds.dpi.nsw.gov.au/WeedImages/ShowPhoto/406
If you have seen it report it to your local government agency or let me know peter@bettersafe.com.au
http://weeds.dpi.nsw.gov.au/WeedImages/ShowThumb/407
General Discussion / Tracking down new creeks off the Murray
« Last post by Member on January 10, 2018, 10:48:24 PM »
Im currently in Cobram VIC on the Murray for a few weeks.

Im new to freshwater fishing and to this area. Ive been tying to find some creeks or skinny water off the Murray as I'm land or kayak based. really struggling to find much. Anyone have any tips on finding places to fish. Not having much luck with Google Earth but there must be plenty of smaller creeks around. Im tying to avoid the current in the Murray, quite strong around here

Cheers
General Discussion / Re: Maroon Dam - Catches other than Bass
« Last post by Member on January 09, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »
Found a big dead tilapia floating in the main basin near the boat ramp on Friday morning. Caught a small tilapia on a spinnerbait there last March, so they are definitely in this dam...

Sad to hear but i’m not surprised. They really are hardy and tough little fish with an impressive bag of tricks to survive anywhere.   There’s no stopping them other than some future form of biological control.
« Last post by Member on January 09, 2018, 04:33:47 PM »
My son caught a nice Silver in the weeds near Lakefire a few years ago. Sad we can't go there anymore. Great location, interesting management style, now owned by some property investmeny mob

I wondered what had happened to Lakefire. Haven’t seen campers there for ages and all i’ve heard lately was bad reviews following change in management.
« Last post by Member on January 09, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »
Found a big dead tilapia floating in the main basin near the boat ramp on Friday morning. Caught a small tilapia on a spinnerbait there last March, so they are definitely in this dam...
« Last post by Member on January 09, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »
My son caught a nice Silver in the weeds near Lakefire a few years ago. Sad we can't go there anymore. Great location, interesting management style, now owned by some property investmeny mob
« Last post by Member on January 03, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »
I saw that someone caught a Tilapia at Maroon on F%$Book. I don't believe much that is written on there, hope it's not true. Do we have any chance of stopping those things? Are people letting them go deliberately?
News Views & Press Releases / Not So Carpy Christmas
« Last post by Member on January 02, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
Not So Carpy Christmas

In the lead up to the festive season, we have continued to pull out all the stops in the fight against carp in Tasmania. The remaining carp have been very active within inshore regions due to warm water and recent rain events. This has been the time to strike: they are very susceptible to our methods while in these shallow regions.

The importance of us using a wide range of methods to remove the few remaining carp from Lake Sorell has been paramount. All of our methods have resulted in the capture of carp, and this serves to target all individuals in the population based on their varying behaviour and maturity. These methods include: gill netting, fyke netting, electro fishing, and targeted fishing based on radio tracking.

Only 69 carp have been captured since the beginning of September! During the same period last year, we had pulled 228 of them from the lake!

Upon processing these carp, we have found the following data:

•         33 were females, 33 were males, 3 were indeterminate.

-          19 of the males were confirmed to have Jelly Gonad Condition (JGC).  This is a condition is that effects the gonads of male carp, likely making them infertile in advanced cases. A PhD research project on the condition is currently underway to further exploit the condition.

•         7 were ex radio-transmitter (tracker) carp. These fish where all released within the last year, and all possess JGC. These were released as low risk ‘Judas fish’ due to their compromised fertility. This is another indicator of the small population size; the fact that we are catching back these tracker carp in such a high proportion within the total catch.

•         In addition to ex-tracker carp, the ratio of current tracker carp to wild carp running into our gill nets now stands at 16 trackers to 43 wild carp.

-          There have only been 12 current tracker carp in the lake at any given time since September, so the fact that these fish continually run into our nets in such high proportions further demonstrates just how critically small the carp population now is.

We will continue to maintain maximum effort throughout the Christmas period and into the new year, making the most of this heightened inshore activity of carp.

Here’s to a not so carpy Christmas!
Source: Not So Carpy Christmas
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Next

Classifieds

Deep Diving Lures for Sale

Price: $45.00
Bids 0
Comments (0)

Shopping

Price:
Comments ()

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events