Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Connolly Dam  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
Connolly Dam
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »
I decided to head up to Stanthorpe on the weekend to catch up with the folks, so thought I may as well take the kayak along for the trip just in case I found some fishable water. On the way up I decided to drop in & have a look at Connolly Dam. The dam is located about 30 k's south east of Warwick along a dirt road with lots of resident roos. Following the dirt road past the main gates to the dam, leads you to the top end of the dam where you can access the water through a closed stock gate.
I had a chat to a local who was fishing from the bank & he reported that a 26lb cod had been caught from that location the week before. A SIP is required to fish the dam & membership to the local stocking group is needed to launch electric only boats, no mention of canoes not being allowed. Access to the dam is only allowed between sunrise & sunset.

I left Stanthorpe just after 0500 & was on the water just after 0600, a cold south easterly front was pushing through & blowing straight down the dam. This is not a big dam & I think you could paddle around the perimeter in about 3 hours. There are two creeks feeding the dam & both are flowing at the moment with water flowing over the spillway making the small falls below the dam quite spectacular. A lot of weed was floating around making it difficult to troll. I cast spinnerbaits & Jonsey lures while I explored but I think the cold front had put the fish of the bite. Heading back up the dam proved to be a bit of hard work against the strong wind & showers but that won't do me any harm ::)

All in all a lovely spot for a paddle with the prospect of some good cod & yellas, looking foward to getting back there later in the summer for some surface action around the weed beds.
Sorry no photos as I forgot the camera & still can't figure out how to download photos off the phone :-[

Cheers Andrew

Treat the earth as though your grandkids lives depend on it.

4.0 mt Mangrove Mauler
Old Town Vapor 10 Angler
Scrambler 11