Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained, The Sequel!  (Read 8388 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained, The Sequel!
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »
G'day all,

Well it's been a week since I last ventured down the same creek we were on last weekend and yes, we were met yet again with overcast and dizzing weather. I was again anxious to see how it would fish with a bit of pressure being placed upon myself by inviting some great mates, Tom and Andy who are more rusty water fisho's. Andy had just bought himself a new Nereus Winner Double Kayak and was keen to trial it out and catch, along with Tom their first Wild Bass. I couldn't sleep and was up at 3.00am tweaking a few lures in the shed waiting for their arrival and looking forward for the sun to finally come up. We were also joined by another good mate, Nath (Cooper) who can hold his own in any fishy situation, although he was off to a bit of a steady start this morning, leaving his paddle at home, good thing I had a spare.

We finally made it to the creek, getting on the water by about 6.30am. Water quality was a bit clearer than last weekend as we hadn’t had too much heavy rain during the week. Low tide was about 7.00am and we probably left it a little too late launching, only making it about 2.5km downstream when the tide had turned and was pushing back upstream with a strong current rendering it more difficult to paddle against and turning the water more discoloured and dirty, along with an abundance of debris on the surface that saw fishing with top surface water lures quite challenging. The water level was about 4 feet lower paddling downstream to what it was last weekend when we ventured on the same stretch of water however on our return upstream the tide had definitely made its way in the upper reaches which made for easy paddling.

With all of us armed with different lure types from surface lures to deeper divers, it was Nath who managed to get the first runs on the board, bringing a nice bream yak side. Our targeted species (Bass) were playing hard to get and nothing really changed throughout the duration of the day. Way would lure casting by Tom and Andy trying to lure fish from the tree tops had Nath and I in stitches with much sledging going on which made the day quite fun.

Still paddling downstream, Nath persisted in casting a 50mm surface popper underneath the trees canopies alongside some good looking snags and was rewarded with his first Bass of the day which was around the 33cm mark. It wasn’t long before he got his second Bass as we ventured further towards the brackish water, leaving us other three fishless. I never changed lures all day, having confidence in my 60mm Static Shad which landed me two healthy Bass the weekend before. Persisting in casting as close to the timber, weedy edges and overhanging ledges, I was finally rewarded with a Bass which turned out to be my only fish for the day as it tried it’s best to brick me around some low lying vines which had made its way to the water from over hanging branches.
I was really hoping that Tom and Andy would soon experience the jubilation in catching their first Wild Bass. It wasn’t long after I had released my Bass when Andy had changed to a River 2 Sea Gripp Crank which in turn resulted in what he had come for. This fish was probably the largest of the Bass that were caught for the day, well and truly over the 40cm mark. Unfortunately Tom went fishless for the day however he had told me he had a great time and vowed to return to give it another shot. 

Water temperatures were a little low to my liking, estimating the water to be around 20 degrees as the sun tried real hard to break through the ominous clouds. As the day wore on I noticed other cold blooded animals doing their utmost to warm themselves through what has been a pretty wet and cool Spring.

I ventured about another 1.5km further downstream than the other fella’s when they decided to turn around and head back upstream as I wanted to explore more of the river leaving me a small stretch to leave for my next return trip, more than likely launching in the salt and heading upstream to the fresh. We would have paddled about 10km with an extra 3km added on for me for the day, after finally catching them back up further upstream heading home.

A great day was had, all fish were caught and released to live another day as we continuously learn more from an ever changing environment.

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: in the water
Re: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained, The Sequel!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
All in all was an enjoyable day could have done with a bit more fish action but fun all the same. Just bide our time until its crystal clear and i think we'll be in for an awesome surprise... well i hope so anyway

Nice report Dave
Cheers Cooper

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 12:23:26 PM »
Bracey,

thanks for the report mate. I'm fairly sure I know what creek you guys were fishing

Do you know if that tree that fell into the water a while back on the right angle bend about 200 or 300 meters from where you launched is still there barring the way.  It was great when it was upright but after it fell it makes it very difficult to get past.  Had some great results off it before it fell.

You really need to work with the tide on creek hey.  It drains quite low and makes a long walk back  ::) 

Cheers Geoff

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:57:31 PM »
Hey Geoff,

Yeah mate, trees that have fallen over can make it quite difficult to pass. Under them, over them and around them depending on the tidal situation.
 We would have crossed through about 10 trees yesterday.

Dave

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:19:16 PM »
Got my first double hookup in there.  I used to walk the banks 20 years ago.  Back when you would swim after a lure because losing it was heartbreaking.  Also got my first bass in there (420mm) on a paddler.  8)

Cheers Geoff

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:02 PM »
Got my first double hookup in there.  I used to walk the banks 20 years ago.  Back when you would swim after a lure because losing it was heartbreaking.  Also got my first bass in there (420mm) on a paddler.  8)

Cheers Geoff

I still go swimming for 'em Geoff, last weekend I lost concentration after a long day on the water and found myself about 15ft up a tree above the water. Don't tell anyone though! ;D Further upstream as you no whilst walking the banks myself as it gets real skinny I swam across a deep hole, treading water about 3 feet from the opposing bank I kicked a summerged snag under the water which resulted in a half inch long by 3/16th splinter in underneath me big toe. Makes it all worth while when you're catching fish though.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • Fish Restocker
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »
Great report Dave. I'm glad you admitted to still swimming and climbing trees for lures. It wouldn't be a real session without climbing a tree for a lure!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 05:31:57 AM »
Hey Ross,

Shame you had to work!

So much for "What happens on tour, stays on tour" ;D

It wouldn't be a trip without fetch'in a few lures mate, hey! :youbeauty Casting lures from a kayak in really tight country can be quite challenging at times that's for sure.

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
i went and had a look at a spot today around gympie, looks tight, clear and very promising. Launching the yak bright and early in the hope of a fish. Would be nice if i could get some followers like yourself dave. but i think she'll be on of those solo ones.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 06:23:39 PM »
As always Dave,a great report with excellent pictures and thorough story to match.

The details etc.water temp,tide and other variables are always appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to detail your trip.

Mick

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
As always Dave,a great report with excellent pictures and thorough story to match.

The details etc.water temp,tide and other variables are always appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to detail your trip.

Mick

Thanks Mick,

I have been wondering all day today whether they may have been further downstream in greater numbers pushing down with the fresh along with the bait, although last weekend I saw more bait in the upper reaches compared to the previous weekend. I'm keen for those hot, humid, stormy afternoons to approach us and wet a line in these areas.

Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 09:21:02 PM »
i went and had a look at a spot today around gympie, looks tight, clear and very promising. Launching the yak bright and early in the hope of a fish. Would be nice if i could get some followers like yourself dave. but i think she'll be on of those solo ones.

Good luck Jacko! :youbeauty

Hey mate, try posting something up in this category on Sweetwater to see if you can gather interested paties up your way to join ya. I'm sure you'll find someone.

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/board,21.0.html (Find a Fishing Buddy)

Dave

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 09:43:19 AM »
In that 532 pic, seems there was a little zero footer that did the damage.  Is that a megabass griffon?  I have had some great success on my Jackall Cherry Zero Footer on bass and toga but I haven't given it a run in that creek yet as I don't get up to the sunny coast to fish very often at all.  Mainly got them on Sammy's or Dog-x jnr and Jackall 10CC.

Has anyone got any Jack down the lower reaches at all.  I would have thought it would be a great spot for them.

Cheers
Geoff

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »
That's the River 2 Sea Gripp Crank, sub-surface. Yep it has done some damage on them Geoff.

It's my go to lure for creek bash'in!

No Jacks to report as there has been a lot of fresh, I have been targetting them in the lower reaches but haven't even reached the brackish water yet.