Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Linked Events

• Wyaralong Dam Fish Stocking Info Night: September 29, 2011

Author Topic: Wyaralong Dam Fish Stocking Info Night  (Read 11522 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Wyaralong Dam Fish Stocking Info Night
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:54:14 AM »
Wyaralong Dam Community Information Night. Logan Albert Fish Management Association - LAFMA Qld
Thursday eve. the 29 th of September 2011
6.30 for 7pm Start at the Beaudesert Golf Club, Kerry Road
Hosted by Logan and Albert Fish Management Assn

:tick Trevor Saunders fishing writer/ photographer will be providing an Audio Visual presentation on how to catch freshwater fish.
Talking on freshwater issues will be :
 :tick Mal Brown: Why do we need to stock impoundments and what native fish are we using and the overall benefits to the community by creating a recreational fishery.
 :tick Lloyd Willmann: What do we do about Carp. Benefits to the environment and river systems by stocking Mary River Cod , Australian Bass and Saratoga.
 :tick Lloyd Willmann: Tagging and how how to handle fish correctly for release.

Guest Speakers from SEQWATER and Fisheries Queensland

For further Information Call:

Mark Ward, President. h. 07 5544 9104.
Secretary. Lloyd Willmann H 07 3287 3278 m 0429 614 892
Mal Brown, Wyaralong Dam Coordinator. h. 07 3311 4872 m 0402 901 511

Raffles and Prizes to the value of $340.00 to be drawn on the nite to include a Minn Kota freshwater Endura Classic 28 Transom Mount trolling motor Donated by BLA to the value $259.00 Dollars. Membership drive prize will be a selection of Freshwater Cod Lures to the value $80.00 donated by the speakers and members of LAFMA

Logan & Albert Fish Management Association Inc. L&AFMA Qld

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: Wyaralong Dam Fish Stocking Info Night
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »
Would like to see reply's of anyone going to attend this one for interests sake.

Fitzy ?

Steve

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:38:49 PM »
Would like to see reply's of anyone going to attend this one for interests sake.

Fitzy ?

Steve

Will have to see what my work schedule is when its closer. I may be up north that week.

Certainly interested in attending & offering support.  :youbeauty Time is the killer.........

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
I will more than likely be there. Say "Jeff" would be as well

Thursday nights fit into my schedule

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »
Would love to be involved, as I have tag up there before and knowing the people involved they are very dedicated to improving this system. We'll be away that night as I'm committed to a re- union in the Hunter Valley.
Will there be a way we can become members if we can't attend.

Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »
Would love to be involved, as I have tag up there before and knowing the people involved they are very dedicated to improving this system. We'll be away that night as I'm committed to a re- union in the Hunter Valley.
Will there be a way we can become members if we can't attend.

Ray

Give them a call Ray

Mark Ward, President. h. 07 5544 9104.
Secretary. Lloyd Willmann H 07 3287 3278 m 0429 614 892
Mal Brown, Wyaralong Dam Coordinator. h. 07 3311 4872 m 0402 901 511

wicksey

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 02:52:32 PM »
Hi Ian here , FIRST TIMER,

I am Wyaralong  grants co ordinator for Logan and Albert fish management assoc inc (LAFMA). Firstly could I say a big thank you to Garry for posting previouly the info for us about the community meeting and the support and assistance he has provided over many years to freshwater fishing .  After its past 15 years of successfully seeding 700,000 bass and 40,000 mary river cod into the wild Albert and Logan rivers , LAFMA has been invited to stock Wyaralong with Bass, mary river cod and saratoga

With the approval of Fisheries Qld it is LAFMA,s plan to create a world class mary river cod fishery in Wyaralong,  the closest dam to Brisbane only 15 klms from Beaudesert. The impoundment is not too large, is over 20klms long, has lots of side inlets and a fish ladder that looks like it works. 

If you would like to find out more about our plans for this project  please come to the meeting at beaudesert golf club on thursday 29 september at 7pm.  If  after hearing all that is said and feel like you would like to be  involved in this long term effort  and work with a  great group of people dedicated to fish stocking  then you may like to join LAFMA  on the night , or subsequently on our website  LAFMA QUEENSLAND. You may also view our comprehensive wyaralong management plan on the website . THis may be your last chance to contribute to such a project from day one  as this is the only dam built in queensland in the past 20 years and may well be the last in SE QLD

If you are unable to be with us for the night and would like to contribute to our Wyaralong project  then you can donate to help seed the dam with cod/bass next year . please reply post or phone me on 07 33455508
for our bank details

Also if you have any queries  or comments or advice please call me on the above number or post

thanks
ian 

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 09:38:49 PM »
Ahh thats better thanks Ian ! I will see you there  8)

Steve

wicksey

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
Thanks Steve  for your support. please make yourself known on the night so we can continue the conversation

we plan a full on program on the night with plenty of good images and  some guys with long memories and loads of experience to share

ian

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:43:40 AM »
PRFMA might dispute your call on closest Dam to Brisbane,  ;D, Although I suspect Gold Creek pips them both.

Great to see the stocking group getting in to it. Looking forward to your first carp busting comp on the dam! Sadly I dont think it will be to long for it to be worth your while.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »
If the carp are such a problem it may turn into another lake Kepit im sure it was where fly fishing carp is more popular than anything. Heavens forbid of course!

Steve

wicksey

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 09:14:48 AM »
Hi BInder,

For those of us who live in the real brisbane on the southside of the river, wyaralong is closer than north pine!!! 
 The issue of carp is a major concern to our group ( we were known as carpbusters for fifteen years until a name chage last year) and was one of the reasons to start fish stock ing the Albert and Logan rivers   More than  700,000 bass and 40,000 mary river cod have gone into these rivers in the past 15 years and anecdotal evidence from farmers along the albert suggests that for the first time in 10 years they are seeing fresahwater catfish nests appearing in numbers rather than muddy water created by carp. The bass and cod are known predators of carp and are probably natures long term answer to the noxious carp.

In my view part of the answer is  for LAFMA to raise as much funding as possible to stock the dam to REDUCE (  BUT NEVER ELIMINATE)  the carp before the numbers increase significantly.   

The sad part of the story is that a successful carp removal cage system ( google and you will find it )has been available down south,  and according to people who built the fish lift at Wyaralong , could have been installed if required . We dont know the real story but no doubt after the govt  spent $350 million on the dam ( in a big hurry after the Traviston debacle) and $4million on a world standard mountain bike track next to the dam ( google MOUNT JOYCE ESCAPE RECREATIONAL PARK and look at the story and dam map) there was no money left for an inexpensive system to remove carp and stop them from going up the fish lift and into the dam .

The periods and method of operation  of the fish lift is subject to ongoing discussion and experimenttation  by the experts, more  details will no doubt be released in time, hopefully before the carp discover a nice  free lift ride into carp utopia!!!!!    The answer would appear to be the proviision of the carp removal system at the dam wall as soon as possible. Given the mess the state finances are in i can see this being left to LAFMA  to try for grant money for the job  , meanwhile

So folks if you know of a benefactor out there please point them in our direction.

thanks
ian