Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Recent exploration  (Read 42981 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Recent exploration
« on: April 27, 2013, 10:25:38 PM »
A few of us went out to explore a couple of old town sites this week; Ron, Dave, Flic and myself.

In our sights was finding a hotel site that was built in the 1800s along a Cobb & Co track in western Qld. After some extensive research we found some references to the hotel in some state archives and books, and even an old mud mad circa 1892.

On a recent trip to the area Flic found a bottle from the 1920s along the local creek while I was pegging lures so we knew we were close. This trip we went back with metal detectors and some more info. 

This time around we stumbled upon the remains of some very old bottles fairly quickly so we knew we were close, however there were no signs left of the building itself. A mound or raised section of ground and some rocks close to it got me thinking that it all looked a bit un-natural to the local lay of the land, it could have been the old fire place.
Within a few minutes the metal detectors were turning up old belt buckles, trinkets, fragments of cast iron cooking pots / kettles, and even a piece of a harmonica (mouth organ). Then Dave's detector went off again; this time only a couple of inches down was an 1876 penny in very good condition. Not worth a lot, but definitely a prize find, and pretty much the final confirmation we had found this historic site.

Among the broken bottles and fragments of plates / crockery there was one unbroken bottle which has been dated to the late 1800s. We didn't dig further down where the bottles were found, there could be a lot more buried in the ground from dozens of floods of the past century plus since this site was abandoned.

Was great to get out of town and out of mobile phone coverage for a few days camping / exploring, good company, camp fire cooking and a few drinks around the camp fire.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Recent exploration
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:24:16 AM »
Sounds like a nice way to spend a couple of days!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Listened to Nugget on the way home from Rusty's today,  must have been a great trip very interesting.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »
Would take you back in time by the sounds of the finds  8)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 228
  • -Receive: 21
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 11:53:43 PM »
Just found and read this.

Would have been good to get out and about to explore. Were 4WD vehicles were required to access some of these remote areas?

Camp fires and boiling the billie brings back  few memories.

Cheers, Bondy

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:30:45 AM »
A 4x4 is not always a requirement in good conditions, but definately a life saver if it starts raining. Without a doubt a vehicle with good clearance is a must.

Have found a couple more sites since.... after alot of research.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »
Hi Sweetwater,

I'm sure a lot of time involved in researching would be required. When I was involved with Landcare in Darling Downs area, I frequented a few properties spraying lantana and prickly pear.

Some of the places had remnants of former settlements where train lines used to be. One property had the line running through it, then I discovered a large tunnel up in the Great Diving Range where the line and early steam train used to run.

Still had the old butcher shop and general store , old style petrol pump.

Had a 4WD Ute back then.

Cheers, Bondy

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 10:25:15 PM »
Hi Sweetwater,

I'm sure a lot of time involved in researching would be required. When I was involved with Landcare in Darling Downs area, I frequented a few properties spraying lantana and prickly pear.

Some of the places had remnants of former settlements where train lines used to be. One property had the line running through it, then I discovered a large tunnel up in the Great Diving Range where the line and early steam train used to run.

Still had the old butcher shop and general store , old style petrol pump.

Had a 4WD Ute back then.

Cheers, Bondy

Bondy those are the sorts of places we go chasing. Just to track the history and to piece together a larger & often forgotten puzzle.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 12:05:13 AM »
G'day Fitzy,

It is interesting that's for sure. I'd like to find more of those places, provides a history to the area and reflects life back then.

If I had a 4WD with endless fuel supply I'd be travelling all over the State to document these findings as well as obtaining information from generational families to shed light.

Cheers, Bondy

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 06:46:18 PM »
We have been doing some exploring around here a lot Fitzy. Now trying to find the old gold and copper fields in the Boyne valley area.. Most are on private properties so have to find out who owns them and get permission for access. Done some great drives through the National Parks in this region. The old Monto to Gladstone rail line is now overgrown and falling apart but got some great pics of it..I plan on getting a bit fitter and walking a lot of it..especially the tunnels sections.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 08:09:22 AM »
We have been doing some exploring around here a lot Fitzy. Now trying to find the old gold and copper fields in the Boyne valley area.. Most are on private properties so have to find out who owns them and get permission for access. Done some great drives through the National Parks in this region. The old Monto to Gladstone rail line is now overgrown and falling apart but got some great pics of it..I plan on getting a bit fitter and walking a lot of it..especially the tunnels sections.

How good is that?? It's a shame much of this history is not being recorded. Imagine if those old rail lines could tell you their story......

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
A bloke that was a fireman for 30 years was on that run at times. he has produced a small book on the history and building of the line in the 1920's. Good stuff and gives me some places to try and find.
I have some pics of the track at various places plus the railway dam at Many Peaks ( was used for water for the steam locos)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »
Many, many, many moons ago, I spent 6 months working at Builyan, putting up a drying kiln at the sawmill, caught the train from Bully to Gladstone and back a few times, You sort of got the feeling the old times must have been like from the old style carriage tacked on the end of the goods train. At that time the train went up to Monto, but I never went up the range on it.

There's some history in that end of the Boyne Valley, you could do worse than to drop into the Many Peaks Hotel for a yarn with the locals on a week night, some of them go back a ways, and have some stories to tell.

Even back then 30 odd year ago, there were prospecting teams out doing test wells and seismic mapping, looking for gold they say is still there in qty's worth digging for.

Brad

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
Spent the night at the Many Peaks pub a couple of weeks ago. Some rugged country through there..been giving the ute a workout on some of the tracks. Love it through there and the entire Boyne valley..awesome place full of history. Got so many pics already and plenty more to get.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »
Good old days when train carriages had windows that open and you can breathe fresh air.