Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Last dance before gates are opened  (Read 7254 times)

Offline Member

• Serial kayak seller and buyer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 114
  • Liked: 18
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Last dance before gates are opened
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:40:21 PM »
Finished work at 3pm and headed straight for the Brissy River to get in a fish before they open the flood gates to let out some water in preparation for our super wet Summer, apparently…. When I got there Dave was just dragging his yak out of the van and Wes was going to be a late arrival. Dave had a quick look at the Coosa as I was setting it up and in no time it was getting it’s first scratches as I dragged it down Heart Attack Hill.

To start the session I had the seat in the low position just until I could get the feel of it. The yak is super stable but I resisted the urge to stand in it straight away. I had a bit of a play and then got stuck into the fishing, after all I did have to blood it. It was quiet to start with and probably took me a good hour until a little bass jumped on the end of my line. Not quite the monster I was hoping for but I would take it. After releasing  the little tacker I decided to go for a troll to try and find some fish.

I trolled up to my turn around point with no interest in the spinnerbait. Did a U-turn and headed back to find Dave. About half way back my reel started to sing the song we love so much. After a sluggish fight the fish came to the yak and then decided to wake up. Taking multiple dives for the bottom trying to find cover. Eventually a nice 50ish cm yellowbelly was glided into the net. Not bad 2 fish, 2 species on the new yak.

I decided to try the high seating position on the Coosa so I pulled over and changed the seat. Wow, I am high. Continued on my trolling until I reached Dave and saw that Wes had made it to the river. I continued on past Dave to catch up with Wes and see how he was going. After saying hello I was surprised to see him tying on a spinnerbait. I’ve only ever seen him fish with timber lures. Lets see how these spinnerbaits work he says as he cast it out. He lets it sink, has a few turns of the handle and zzzzzzz, he turns to me and says, yep there OK. I didn’t end up seeing how big the fish was because while he was playing it I cast out into the middle of the creek and my spinnerbait was smashed by a monster.

It ran so fast on the first run I thought it was going to jump like a barra, it headed straight for the top. Then it turned and chugged it out down deep. My little 1-4kg Heartland was having trouble lifting it. When it finally broke the surface I said, my golly gosh that’s big (or words to the effect). I called Wes over for a photo and to borrow his measuring mat. 55cm, my biggest bass for the season. It had taken the spinnerbait so far down that not even the head of the spinnerbait was outside of it’s mouth. The wire was all bent and needed some surgery also. I swam this big girl for a bit as she was bleeding a little, once she gave some good kicks in the net I was glad to see her swim off strongly.

Now that I had some confidence up in the yak I decided to try and stand up. Easy, a little rocky, but very easy. I could only look forward though, otherwise my balance was compromised. This should improve in time. Had a few casts and was joking that I would fall over if I hooked up to a bass. A couple of casts later I hooked into a 45cm bass and was standing up for the whole fight until I had to net it. Certainly was an experience standing up and fighting a fish. I managed to do it again a little later on a bigger 53cm specimen.

Anyway I am going to cut the report short as I am bloody tired. All up I think I caught about 10 fish, 4 biggest were 53, 55, 55, 56cm. Plus the 50ish cm Yella. Not bad for an arvo session.

Big thanks to Dave for helping me get the Coosa back up the hill and surprisingly there are not too many scratches on it.

Mantra Kayak Pro-Staffer

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
Re: Last dance before gates are opened
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:24:59 AM »
Good one matey

Getting me excited for a paddle now. Call ya durin the day.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 103
  • Liked: 26
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:42:46 AM »
was a fun arvo evening sesh with solid bass and then the forkies on surface in the dark lol
my spinner bait bass was only a lil tacker but ended up smoked and bricked on it not long after ! at one stage there was double hook ups and we waited with video mode ready when wayne would stand up on the yak, but no fun as he did not fall in  ;D

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Sandy Straights
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »
Top reports boys and some very nice bass amoungst them.  They all look in reasonable condition.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 89
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: water
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:23:57 AM »
Nice work, I had a crack down at my local before they opened the gates too... I was extremely supprised, I didn't even get a touch! Managed a 12cm catty.. quite supprised! I usually don't walk away without having landed atleast 1 lol

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
A couple of pics from yesterday arvo.

Wayne standing up

A Garra Lure M&M works in the dark

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:07:56 AM »
 :NiceThread) Nice report.  :youbeauty

Wayne, what sort of paddle length did you work is best for the Jackson Kayak?

Was looking at the one the mate Steve had on the Dumaresq River last weekend & he had a Carlisle smart shaft out to 225cm & it seemed a little short. I'm guessing probably 230 - 240 would be suitable. Steve said the guy who sold it to him reckoned 250 but I thought that a bit extreme unless going seppo style paddle stroke.

What is the weight of the Jackson? I lifted it off the roof rack & guessed it to be around 26 - 28kg.

It seemed to track ok for its length, but was understandably slow compared to my Camden 120. Also noted it had developed a dent on the underside from sitting (which popped out in the sun) & then from tie down straps on roof. Was thinking it might be a touch light on plastic in the area. Noted there's no defined keel line; the bends tend to offer good strength.

A good looking yak, I like the idea for open river use. Looked very comfy. Told Steve when he gets a bit older we can just roll his wheel chair onto it, or just add wheels to the yak chair. Apparently I'm a cheeky prick  ;D 

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
I haven't really thought about it yet Fitzy. I have only paddled it twice and it is only in the high seat position that the extra length would be needed. I only have crappy paddles and I really have no idea how long they are. From everything I have read you are spot on with the 230-240cm length but some of the US guys do use 250cm paddles. I think you really need an adjustable paddle in the 230-240cm range but I just haven't bothered looking for the right paddle yet.

28kgs is correct but it doesn't seem too hard to lift on top of the car (but bloody hard to pull up THAT hill).

When I look inside mine you can see sunlight coming through the front of the foot wells which would indicate its a bit light on there but the overall weight of 28kgs for a 3.5mtr yak makes me think it is very well made, comparing it with my same length Espri that is only 22kg. I really haven't given it a full going over though.

Paddling wise I thought it was OK but the big nose on it catches the wind and also the fact that you are sitting higher too does not help.

Overall I am happy with it for the short time I have used it. What I really want to test it out on is a paddle up a creek somewhere filled with camping gear for a boys weekend as that is what I have purchased it for.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »
Thanks Wayne. I noticed the mate Steve &  his fishing gear didn't go close to putting the chines in the water, probably would have been better if he had MORE weight it it.

I dont know if it's something I'd like to do a long distance in, but the type of fishing that Heart Attack Hill gives, it seems like a good rig.

Nice looking boat.  :thumbsup

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »
Just on a side note, Heart Attack Hill is fishing just as well as before the latest release.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »
Thanks for the update Dale. Might put in a few hours there on Sunday Arvo.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »
The bloody hill hasn't got any easier though.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »
I have a new lightweight yak thats going to be great for THAT hill. A 10kg daylite paddler that I found for the right price. Just have to fix the broken handle and hopefully I won't have to have a 5min lay down when I reach the top of THAT hill anymore.

:youbeauty