Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: w/e trip to Maroon Dam  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: colleges crossing
w/e trip to Maroon Dam
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
Heading to Maroon dam for some topwater action.  Getting some live shrimp for bait, celta's lures and some pots to tempt the red claw while staying at the Camp lake fire.

This will be the first time I mainly target the bass on the surface.  I know first thing morning but at what point (time or sun location) do they switch off the surface??? As soon as the sun hits the water in the morning?  Once the sun as left the lake do i start the top water assault in arvo?

Any advice on topwater  :Hunting) would be appreciated or fishing Maroon/red clawing would be awesome.

Cheers Brad.   

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: w/e trip to Maroon Dam
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:03:58 AM »
It depends on local conditions, I have seen surface bites last for several hours when conditions have been right.
But basically while the surface of the water is still enough for a surface lure to do its work, its worth tossing them. I'd be planning on sessions of a couple of hours dawn and dusk. Move to your shrimp an hour or two after first light, then about 10ish go have a camp until about 3pm, then go fishing again.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
Thanks Binder, :GoodPost)

Camp lake fire had an excellant location and activities.  The access roads, amenties were ok.  All the access roads are similar to a low grade 4 wheel drive track which you had to take care on.  I didn't run into issues nor did any1  while i was there but i did see a car spinning it up quite alot trying to get up the hill and succeed. 

All up caught 6 (32 to 37cm) bass and 4 spangled perch ( less than 15cm each)  over 2 morning and 1 evening with each session about 3hours long.  Only took the 1 pic of the biggest as it was tea.  It was tasted great too. Also the other were abit small to take pics of but HOLY SMOKE they FOUGHT above their WEIGHT.  Awesome fun.   Live shrimp did all the damaged.  My gf lost a fish on the hand line which manage to unhook itself under the yak and unfortunately that was the only hook up she manage on lure or bait  :'(  I too lost a fished as it snagged me up (10 pound braid too)

The only surface hits where in the arvo right on twilight mainly cause we slept in or couldn't find them. Sadly there where only 2 surface hits.   I had 1 fish follow the lure right to the boat but couldn't put the 2,3, and 4 with 30cm of the first cast  >:(  The 2nd smashed my lure just as i got the bail arm down/ lure hit the water and then buried me in the snag within 2 secs.  I very frustrated after that as there wasn't enough light to re rig and try again.  owell there's always next. 

Which there will be and hopefully with better results.

Any advice on:
How to get a fish out of a snag????
Is it normal for the tag end of braid to fray apart at the end of uni to uni join knot to leader???

Cheers Brad.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:05:06 AM »
If a bass snags you up, loosen the line just put your rod down and enjoy the surrounds for a minute or two, quite often they will "un snag" themselves and take off again.

I dont use uni knots myself, but some braids do fluff, particularly noticeable if you dont trim them off nice and short.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
If a bass snags you up, loosen the line just put your rod down and enjoy the surrounds for a minute or two, quite often they will "un snag" themselves and take off again.

I dont use uni knots myself, but some braids do fluff, particularly noticeable if you dont trim them off nice and short.

Cheers will have to try that out next time.  Yipee my braid fluffs up.  I normally try to cut with about 1-3mm left.