Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lenthalls another senseless waste.  (Read 14724 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Lenthalls another senseless waste.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
Well done Paul, finally a govt. body is taking notice. I can't believe it took these measures though. Hopefully your persistance will pay off. Let us know how you get on in regards to the meeting between both parties.  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »
OK, I'll play the devil's advocate here.  What if Wide Bay Water investigate the almost annual losses of Barramundi in Lenthall's due to either cold weather, or water releases and they decide that they cannot control either, but to look good in the general public's eyes when it comes to dying fish, they decide that these fish shouldn't be stocked?  It could be an outcome that DEEDI re-evaluate the limits of stocking the species.  There are times when good intentions can back fire.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 82
  • Liked: 18
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 08:13:11 PM »
OK, I'll play the devil's advocate here.  What if Wide Bay Water investigate the almost annual losses of Barramundi in Lenthall's due to either cold weather, or water releases and they decide that they cannot control either, but to look good in the general public's eyes when it comes to dying fish, they decide that these fish shouldn't be stocked?  It could be an outcome that DEEDI re-evaluate the limits of stocking the species.  There are times when good intentions can back fire.

Yeh Dale it's a possability that's for sure but as I said in the original post that Common sense be used,

The Burrum river has a natural population of barra so no problem there with stocking and all that is needed is a deeper chanel of about 80-100 meters and there wont be a problem it's the only thing stopping them have access to miles of river with deeper water,
The tourism factor has to be taken into account with good impoundment barra fishing as another drawcard for this region and it's needed! whales are only here 4 months per year.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 08:55:08 PM »
Mate, to promote Lenthall's as a serious Barra destination, they need to build a road in to it that the average person can negotiate with a boat in tow.  The goat track that exists now doesn't cut it.  As someone who has had a reasonable amount of training in Risk Assessment as far as business sustainability is concerned, if I was with Wide Bay Water I know what I would have to recommend as a solution.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 09:06:12 PM »
Wide Bay Water are in the business of water, while they've done a great job on the facilities (and should be applauded for it), it would become a nightmare for them if the patronage increased significantly, the status quo is a win win for them. They get the kudos for having the great facilities but the visitor numbers are low because of the road, hence the budget doesn't blow out on cleaning dunnies & emtpying bins. They get to say "it's not our road" & there's the plausable deniability............

cheers,

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 06:03:44 AM »

Here's a article Nat Bromhead did in the local paper the Chronicle where he is now the fishing editor after giving away guiding here in Hervey Bay which is a smart move considering the way the QLD Govt looks after our fisheries.

Paul, I know its not exactly a great time there, but I reckon I have to pull you on that one, in the main the relevant Qld Govt staff does a pretty good job with our fisheries and dams in my opinion. Wide Bay water, no, SEQ Water? Certainly better than Wide Bay Water, could improve some more, albeit they are miles ahead of where they were.

I hope you get some traction with this, people know my opinion of Wide Bay Water, its not currently improving!

In my opinion the SEQ water take over of the South east Dams has had more pluses for fisho's than minus's. Perhaps someone might be able to convince Anna Bligher that a Sunwater take over in the Wide Bay area might be a good idea!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 07:28:16 AM »
In my opinion WBW do have a lot to learn about planning issues and compliance.
They appear to have too large string of bureaucratic process with no one prepared to make a decision so they just pass the buck along the line.
They have had issues with trapped fish in that pond previously so you would think that they would have a process in place so that they can react quickly.
It took them around 2 years to get the toilet and amenities block for the camp ground up and running.
They had more excuses than greenbottle .
The actual staff and the current ranger have been very good to deal with. Paul was also good as the ranger but wont comment on the bloke after Paul.
The road in would be the local councils or Dept Transports responsibility.
Apart from it being closed to flooding I have never had a problem with the road . It can be greasy in the wet and very rough in the dry( Particularly after its been raining and the local Queen Street cowboys come out to play in their fourbies in the wet and cut it up) but if you treat the road and your car and trailer with respect you will have no problems. Just realize its a normal dirt country road and take it slow.
I only have a hilux 2wd ute and previous to that had a kia rio.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »
The road is a good as you treat it, we have taken a Motorhome in there.yes it was rough but you drive to too the road condition and you'll have no problems.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »
I got a call from Amanda the lady that represented the RSPCA today after she met with Wide Bay Water,she has read the topic on here and reminded me that RSPCA are not a Government body.
She said it went quite well and WBW are going to get the rotting fish out to improve the water quality and try to clear a path in the weeds so the fish can migrate down stream :thumbsup
She did mention they suggested looking at the stocking of Barra in there and I knew that would happen and if they stop it then so be it,not point in stocking fish that are going to die it's a waste of money and time but if they dig a channel there wouldn't be a problem and the barra could be stocked as they could move down stream in the event of floods that happen nearly every year out there.
A smart Council that wants tourists would work in with WBW and come up with a plan that could benifit the fish in the event of a flood and the region financially through tourism.
If not the Stocking group can apply for a permit to stock the lower Burrum river each year from funds raised other than Sips money.
In the end if the fish don't have to starve or freeze to death it will be a good thing.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 07:48:52 PM »
Whilst it appears that a temporary resolution has occurred a long term solution needs to be planned and acted on or else it will only happen again in the future.
Paul just how much excavation would be needed to either drain the pool or provide  deep water  access to the Burrum?
I do not think that WBW will do anything more unless they are persuaded by the big stick of public opinion and political pressure.
 Who is the local member and what party do they belong to and is there an aspiring member for the coming election?
A few letters never go astray.
Kudos to Paul for raising the matter.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
Whilst it appears that a temporary resolution has occurred a long term solution needs to be planned and acted on or else it will only happen again in the future.
Paul just how much excavation would be needed to either drain the pool or provide  deep water  access to the Burrum?
I do not think that WBW will do anything more unless they are persuaded by the big stick of public opinion and political pressure.
 Who is the local member and what party do they belong to and is there an aspiring member for the coming election?
A few letters never go astray.
Kudos to Paul for raising the matter.
 Cheers
Ray

Ray there would be approximately 50- 100 meters at most that would require a channel of some type dug  or at least clearing of weeds to allow fish to move up and down stream.

LNP Ted Sorrensen is the sitting member after the people of this area kicked the last labour boffin out in the last election,I've contacted the LNP member over other fishing related incidences in Hervey bay but no gain there either!! pollies are pollies and if it doesn't directly credit or benifit them it's a waste of time I have learnt from dealing with them.
 I've been writing letters to the Qld Government about netting in a marine park for years and nothing is done and nothing will be done until we have a change of Government in this state and even then it may not change.
Maybe this will be the end of stocking of barra in Lenthalls,I hope I'm wrong but I did work for WBW for 2 years and got a glimps of how things work with them and like other things they've done they'll take the easy  inexpensive option.

I initiated the re-stocking of Barra out there when I joined the stocking group back in 03 they had stopped stocking them!! I though it would work but maybe I was wrong and don't mind admitting it,
I asked quite a few people to join so the votes would go they way of barra stocking! and it did,  so if it's stopped because I did something about the dying fish then that's fine with me,I saw and picked up hundreds of dead fish in the 07 fish kill as a part of my job and have seen it happen ever since! so it's pretty simple fix the problem or don't stock them.
I have seen a few dead bass but no where near the number of Barra there is even a dead catty floating around out there so the water quality musn't be to good.
What is really needed is the fishway to be built on the No 1 weir which WBW has been given a $h!t load of money to start the project but still after 3 years they haven't done anything but talk about it and that's not good enough!!!  part of the deal for the approval for  the raising of the dam wall was to build the fishway.

Paul