Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Flood enquiry/Witchhunt  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Flood enquiry/Witchhunt
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »
I see two SEQWater Engineers have gone from their posts.  It finally came out yesterday that a group are waiting for the result of the Witchhunt before deciding if they'll proceed with a billion dollar class action law suit.  A BILLION DOLLARS!  Who will pay for this BILLION DOLLARS?  Us, average Queenslanders will pay for this BILLION DOLLARS to reimburse the silver tails who ignored the warnings and didn't move their property from their million dollar waterfront houses on the Brisbane River.  The same houses that flooded in 1974, and those that were built on the land that flooded in 1974.  We all saw the water that came down from Toowoomba into Lockyer Creek.  The press would have us believe that this somehow made it's way into Lake Wivenhoe. 

Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
Re: Flood enquiry/Witchhunt
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:35:53 PM »
Eventually will will have another 1841 type flood event . Then it will not be a case of mitigating the flood but trying to stop Wivenhoe Dam from washing away ! Who are the oxygen thief lawyers going to sue then?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
Got to feel sorry for the engineers .
it is so easy to criticize after the event with no understanding of what actually transpired and the pressures that they were working under.
 Before the major event there was a very vocal mob around Borallen and other areas winging that they were cut off by floodwaters due to water releases even though they chose to reside in areas with known problems.
SEQ water management were slack with their own internal management systems in that it should have been compulsory for a working diary to have been kept. Also this diary should not be capable of being edited after something is written.
This is normal procedure with some other organizations.
There is nothing that we can do to reverse what has happened but we can only learn from the experience.
God knows what will happen to our water bills if SEQ water is deemed responsible and court cases succeed.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »
SEQ Water were brilliant with their controlled releases in the december before the floods. Work is the lowest point on enogera creek, near the royal womens hospital.  7 or 8 times on the high tide in December water came within 2 or 3 inches of coming in the doors at work, but it never did. Thats how good they were judging the amount of water to be released.

These blokes did a brilliant job in my opinion, and Anna is just seeking some way of laying blame for individuals to boost her electoral cred with the people silly enough to live in the flood plain.

PS Yes we got 5 foot of water through the building in January, but I also saw how close the fuses went to going in the Dam, how much would have been flooded then?

As Dale said, if the "act of god" levels of water from Toowoomba and the foot of the range had not come down below Wivanhoe into the system, there would have been no floods. If there was a fault, it was the system did not allow for huge water inflows below the dam.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
Wivenhoe

The saviour of Brisbane.

Yeah it is Fcuked

Who are they gunna sue..the gubernment.

Who is gunna pay,

You and me ma friend.

Thats the world that we live in

Now, if they just put a 25 meter levy bank all the way along every ribba we would be fine. sh!t Holland can keep the water out.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »
If you want to read some very interesting stuff about the rain event and inflows in Wivy , then check out weatherzone. In particular this thread http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1070120/17

My favourite picture amongst that lot is the shot of the D'Aguilar Hwy where it crosses the Brisbane River just upstream from Harlin (the last post on page 17 ).

Wow.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »
IMHO it would have been a huge undertaking to not only calculate the water flowing into Somerset & Wivenhoe, let alone to calculate how much water to release & when taking into account the water coming down the Lockyer Creek and Bremer River which enter the Brisbane River river downstream of the dams that SEQWater control. No wonder the poor blokes were sleep deprived....!!! And now they're being hung out to dry. shame shame shame...... Can the insurance companies sue god for the rain & run off downstream of the lakes?

The media are banging on about the timing of W2 > W3 release rates prior to the 300mm that hit Toowoomba,,, these are of little consequence in the bigger scheme of things. The W4 and above is when there is critical water levels are on. By the time that water that hit Toowoomba were coming down the Lockyer system towards the Brisbane, W3 was well & truly on at Wivenhoe.
The same media were the ones telling the world that Lockyer Creek ran into Wivenhoe Dam... A simple look at a map before reporting would have taught them a bit. Idiots.....

Anyhow, the facts are that the rain event was of unprecedented scale & intensity. Build & live on a flood plain & you WILL get flooded eventually.

Said it before & will say it again. Wivenhoe Dam simply is not big enough to be both a water storage AND flood mitigation dam for anthing larger than once in a lifetime droughts & floods.
For those who still call for Wivenhoe's water level to be dropped even further, take a look back to August 2007 when Wivenhoe Dam was down to 15% with almost all other dams close to empty. If we now enter a drought situation the same, we will end up at negative 10% now that 25% has been wasted with the new FSL of 75%. I hope the yuppies in millionaire row along the river in the city like drinking sewer water........

If they genuinely want to help mitigate against future flooding they should be investigating a dam on the gorge on MaMa Creek / Heiffer Creek and another at Murphy's Creek, rip out all of the weirs along the Lockyer Creek which actually help build floods (as they cannot release water with imminent flows approaching) and move buildings out of low laying areas along the waterways.
Grantham being moved was a great investment in future flood proofing.

My sister & her family in Ipswich lost everything they had in the floods having 3 meters of water above the roof. I recall warning her about the area being flood prone years back when she bought it but she knew better, anyhow..... It's a bad time to be saying I told you so. I sympathise with all who lost family & possessions in the flood. But I'm certainly not surprised that it happened. And won't be surprised next time either.
I do blame insurance companies for not paying out, based on the idea that they accepted the insurance payments & therefore should pay up. If there was no intention of paying out due to being in know flood prone land, they should not have accepted payment. ACCC should be cutting them new bums IMHO.

At days end, there are those who cannot accept they made a poor decision by buying / living in known flood affected areas. I hope the lessons are learned ..... by real estates, developers, govt dept and buyers. There's blood on people's hands in all this & the royal commission only a smoke screen to divert attention.

Oh & there's an old saying that goes something like "a politician only ever calls for a royal commision when the outcome is already know & it's positive". There's more to come out yet & when the correography is done, I be the RC makes Anna end up looking like Mother Teresa in the lead up to the election. Aint it amazing what shedding a tear on TV can do. Ask Bob Hawke.......