Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Qld - Borumba morning session 17.03.11  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 162
  • -Receive: 27
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: anywhere theres water deep enough
Qld - Borumba morning session 17.03.11
« on: March 18, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
With only a couple of days up my sleeve before heading west the plan was made to hit Borumba for one last session on the sweetwater.
As the morning chased the night west and with the Brothers Gibb blasting out of the stereo to wake me up I hit the road north early.
After a couple of  sphincter tightening moments at the Yabba Creek bridges on the way up (funny I always thought people would stop
for give way signs facing them) I arrived at the ramp and was greeted with the sight of one lone yakker (Eric aka Lantana ) and 6 redclaw boats
getting ready to hit the water.
We hit the water and worked our way south along the eastern side for a couple of kms for no result before cruising up to the junction.
There were plenty of redclaw pots around and a couple of boats were already working the trees when we arrived so we knew fishing would be a
bit tougher than usual.
By the time we headed in to the bank for smoko we had managed only a couple of strikes between us without any success and my shoulders
were starting to ache from casting the shorter fly rod.
After a hearty smoko of date loaf,boiled eggs (hope the carbon tax doesnt cover personal methane production)  and caramel slice we headed west and tried our luck in the Yabba arm.
The morning was warm and fairly still and we fished and chatted as good friends do while working our way along the weed beds in amongst the trees.
Once again I missed another good fish that hit but didnt hold on the popper after a half hour or so of fruitless casting.
It was starting to get late and Eric wanted try a couple of bays on the way back so we made our way back down towards the ramp
   the boat noise was quite loud and seemed to be more amplified by the hills around the dam and at one point we counted 11 trap floats in
the space of 100m or so.
We persevered on and managed another good hit beside a large weed bed before heading in for 2nd smoko and a rethink.It was too nice a day to go home
just yet so we cruised across the dam and worked another bay closer to the ramp for an hour or so before heading in.The only fish seen were
a dozen or so dead bony bream floating around in one small bay where the water was fairly warm compared to previously fished areas.
Between us we had managed 6 or 7 good strikes but it wasnt our day,still I didnt go home empty handed as I was given a present by Eric to take with me
All in all, a great morning spent with a good mate just chilling out and unwinding before going  to WA to start a new job

work like you dont need the money and fish as though you dont need to eat

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Qld - Borumba morning session 17.03.11
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:28:58 AM »
Thanks for the report mate. It's good to see folks post reports even if there's bugger all fish getting caught, it all helps. If you're getting hits that's 90% of the way to a fish being caught.....  :thumbsup

That water looks brilliant.

The 2nd photo brings back memories of Wivenhoe.

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 162
  • -Receive: 27
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: anywhere theres water deep enough
Re: Qld - Borumba morning session 17.03.11
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:46:22 PM »
thanks mate
                   three of the hits I had were on a popper that had a tail made of slinky fibre tied to the last treble,which extended
past a half inch or so
was wondering whether the buggers may have been grabbing that,running then letting go as soon as they felt weight