Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Awoonga- the count down. 2 1

Author Topic: Awoonga- the count down.  (Read 26170 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Awoonga- the count down.
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:41:29 AM »
Lake Awoonga, As at 09/12/2010 06:00 -0.69m 'til 100%.
For the first time in over a decade Awoonga's wall is set to flood over.
The addition of 10 m of extra wall, from 2002 has since allowed the lake to reach record high levels.
Awoonga has risen around 45cm in the space of about a week. Currently it's sitting at about 39.31m out of it's holding capacity of 40m.
The lake is a bonza waterway. Creeping in on the 14th barra stocking year celebration, (started  1996), it's looking like an overflow will beat that birthday.
Eyes will be on many waterways this Christmas, 2010.
Johnny

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • View Gallery
Re: Awoonga- the count down.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
Yep, just got back from a drive out there (needed to put bub to sleep) and the road at the area where the skiers gather has dissappeared. Many are backing January for the spill but i reckon it will be this year.

Cheers Shaun

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 44
  • Liked: 13
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Awoonga, Cania, Gladstone
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 03:34:22 PM »
Ground is saturated and will only take a couple more goods down pours.

Itching to get out Friday night, 5 days of hot weather should liven things up

Regards
Earl

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 94
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Stuarts Point, NSW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
yeah john
i will predict that the dam will go over on the 20th dec, it wont make the new year.  stocking of the fingerlings will take place around the similar time.  talking to the hydrologist today and 80mm will have the job done, and with the up and coming poor weather predicted for the next week it may go close by next wed.

cheers
kurt

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »
Keeping an eye on several impoundments Johnny!

Interesting times ahead. I haven't been to Mondy for about 5 weeks, but it too is looking likely of reaching it's full capacity in the very near future from reports. I don't think it has really settled from the last rise.

Good reports are coming from Kinchant and Tinaroo at the moment which is great to see.

Have your charters on Awoonga slowed a bit with clients scared off with all the rain we've had or are they keen to rip into 'em still, hoping the later??? :youbeauty

Dave

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »
As seen elsewhere, a dam that over tops can & will see some fish go downstream. This can have anglers with mixed thoughts, however even in a major flood event, only a small percentage of fish will go "over the top" or "through the gates". But those few can trigger a massive boost to the fishing downstream with little or no impact on the lake upstream.

I'll bet you start seeing alot of kayaks & canoes in the Boyne River around Pikes Crossing down to the Bruce Highway & right down to Boyne Is & upto South Trees Inlet within weeks of the overflow & a few fish get caught.....closed season not with standing.

Thanks for the updates Johhny & co....

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 10:37:28 PM »
Its amazing to see just how far the bass got washed out of NPD.  I heard they have never open the # of gates as they did a month or so ago.  The damage I saw down at the lilly pond was amazing.  An absolute torrent of water it must have been. Some of those fish are probably making their way up into creeks all the way up and down the coast or so I have been told.

Are there any crocs up that way.  Would would have thought a yak might be a little scary wouldn't it ?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:20:54 AM »
Brissybass,
yeah there are a couple, i would not be too concerned over it.  below the dam wall there is swimming hole about 3 km down stream, havent heard of any kids been taken, so that should help the confidence.  we electrofished below the wall last month and found again a massive amount of recruit fish, couple of jacks and a few tarpon.  you can get the yak in at pikes crossing (as fitz said in the above post).  there has been a massive explosion of the creekies at the moment around the area, the calliope is full of 500-600mm fish.  i suppose its a waiting game, not a great deal we can do about fish going over the wall.  i will get some photo's as i will be going below the wall today.

JM,
took a run to 12 mile lagoon saturday, pretty muddy, but lest say it was worth it. the natural recruitment is massive from last year, 3 tagged fish out of 22.  got this little fellow in 45 foot of water on a lipless crank, hopping it through the school i found in the basin.

cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 05:48:50 AM »
Good to see you got a couple of Jacks recruited for your brood stock Kurt. Might replace the ones that went missing a while ago. :thumbsup

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 08:07:39 AM »
Thanks Kurt. The barra recruits over the last two seasons in the CQ coast region have been very bloody good haven't they!?, (esp. 2010.) 12 mile is in good form, thanks for sharing that.
 500-600mm fish are a good sign. Imagine what else lies in all those quiet waters rarely fished or visited. Apparently the flood plains half way to Stanage were alive with juv. barra after the wet this year. I poked into a local 'google waterhole' last week on the springs, when the sun showed itself again- and the action in that pool was exciting. Mullet didn't want to be there, but the small barra had a field day. I didn't wanna be there either- 9 gazillion mozzies, but enough evidence was seen to tell a story. Recruits far and wide. The last 24 months in the narrows and local has shared way more small 50-75cm barra than I can remember for over a decade, so things are looking good which is refreshing news for the species. I found a good patch of adults in October, in an area where they don't normally hang out- but I suppose this season aint normal and the fish mimic the season and go where conditions take them- but atleast the scenery was awesome, it felt like you were remote in your own mangrove forrest in an untouched world. When are you going to do some acoustic tagging on narrows barra? That data will blow a lot of people's minds on barra patterns.

The lake won't take much to go over, I'm with you there, if it came up 45cm in about a week from no major rain/flood event and just common falls. A couple of good storms, or heavy showers in the right spot will see it push its limits. There has been some heavy rogue showers that dump a good bit of water for the short time they hang about. We had one in town here last night- intense, but short, enough to fill a boat up for a big mullet to stay alive in.
It's only been the last few years where good numbers of 40-50cm barra haven't turned up on angler's lines in the lake. The smallest we have landed in the last 22 months has been 82 or 84cm.(one or the other)
They did show themselves at those (40ish) small sizes from each stocking for the decade before, but man, look at the size of the lake now. This is the first season where the task for 1 guide to fully grasp one waterway on their own has stepped up 3 fold. I poked up a side alley a month ago, then into a side stream off that alley, then off into a creek bed, then onto a large side flat. There was like 4 systems in one, and all of this was out of eye shot from main travel routes- low and behold, guess what was way up the back of it in the shallows- yea, barra. Miles from anywhere typical. Given how dynamics change quickly, it is impossible to watch it all develop. The lake has met it's glory level. At the very least it's depth shouldn't change too much from here on in, allowing anglers to nut out its new secrets.
Johnny

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 08:12:21 AM »
Is that the wrong pic or are my eyes playing tricks; it looks like the water hasn't met the tree line in the rear background?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »
behind kens, where the boat is anchored it was dry in september last year.  friggin weird.....  i have been casting from the shallow into the deep, massive deep school over there at the moment.  havent fished it for over 6 months, but the late arvo boofing action is amazing out there at the moment.  hopefully i will get some more time out there soon to enjoy some fushin. 

cheers
kh

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
with 100mm predicted for the weekend, i will be out there to see the first dribble from pole position (got a pass for the wall whilst its is flowing).  0.65 to go as of this morning, excited to see this happen, the dam needs a good flush.  anyone from the rockhampton area?  keen to see some pics from the barrage in the next couple of days.  i have organised a media release for the next couple of days for when it goes over.  ofr further info go to the gawb website.

cheers
kurt

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 44
  • Liked: 13
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Awoonga, Cania, Gladstone
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 05:54:04 AM »
As at 4pm Friday afternoon less than 0.5m to go, plus had 24mm rain over night. 

Predicting 36-65mm rain over next 4 days, if that’s correct Awoonga will be over within the week.

More up to date Awoonga spillway heights

http://www-cluster.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65392/IDQ65392.539086.tbl.shtml

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1504.0;attach=2854;image

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 07:03:51 AM »
Thanks for the update Earl. :youbeauty

Man Oh Man, What a sight it's going to be when it does spill over!