Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Getting land owners consent  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: havent found it yet
Getting land owners consent
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
I have read posts about people getting the land owners permission to either launch, retrieve their yak or camp overnight on private property. I was wondering how do people usually go about this? Do you just turn up on their doorstep bearing gifts? I don't live close enough to the areas I want to fish to just turn up on a whim hoping somebody is home.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Getting land owners consent
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:12:14 AM »
Sometimes that can take years Sam.  I've met some land owners while fishing on the river and been invited to use their property as access, others I've been introduced by friends.  I'm not sure how you'd go just turning up and knocking on their door, many have had bad experiences with trespassers and are pretty wary of who they let on.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:47:28 AM »
Getting phone numbers and a phone call often works for me - someone that already knows the landholder, names on mail boxes, large rural property / station names or if you're prepared a cadastral (lot number) search through the lands department can all provide a phone number - you take it from there!

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 08:57:42 AM »
I have happen to have met a person on a very nice creek and spoken to her about access, then she said go talk to the neighbours and mention ill be camping in her place so I travelled to the next 6 properties down the creek introduced myself stated I only leave footprints and practice catch and release fishing and never had a nock back .

Just be polite and courteous and respect what they say even offer to give them a hand if they want it.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »
I recall the story of a bloke who wanted to go hunting on a few places out near Cobar. He turned up at each place bedecked in ammo belts and a big knife and couldn't understand why no body would let him past the front gate. It all comes down to how you introduce yourself and think like a property owner. If you show up looking like a jerk they'll realistically think you'll behave like one.
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies, all seems pretty straight forward.friendly conversation seems to be the way to go.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »
JD beat me to it...  I was going to say never show up with kayaks on the roof or boat in tow, it looks a bit presumptuous IMHO. Same for hunting, never show up with dog's on the back of the ute or all your camo gear on, you look like a tosser.

AND, if you get a knock back, thank them for their time and bid them a good day.

Bearing gifts? I used to always take fresh fruit veges and the current newspaper to properties I hunted on out west. I would only do this once you've been given permission and you're going there. It also pays to give your rural friends a call if you hear of floods or fires in their area, they appreciate the sentiment.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 103
  • Liked: 26
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 06:04:25 PM »
recently i gained access to a creek that usually i have to paddle a few ks to access this creek. it was a fluke but a land owner came across my mates and I cooking lunch at the car. He is an elderly gentlemen and approached us concerned as they had thieves in the area a week or so before. We introduced ourselves and let him know we were fishing on the kayaks, , he looked around and could not see the yaks. He was like where are the yaks. pointed to them way down at the waters edge on a public reserve. He questioned us for what we do for a crust. we all replied with our occupations but when it got to one of my mates that is a officer of the law, the old farmers eyes lit up and he was proud to see a young bloke taking on such a job. From here we were invited to come and see him at his house at any time so we can launch from his land to gain access to our yella spot, the paddle will only be 20mtrs from now on to get started. He told us he sussed us out to see if we had jobs, as usually he gets unemployed bums looking for trouble or running a muck. So it comes down to manners , how you present your self , having a cop for a mate lol , and having a job helps in their eyes  :))  We are keen to get back out for a weekend and offer a days labour for the kind gesture of access to  the creek.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 08:07:15 PM »
If someone was to let me launch from their private property like you have just mentioned I would be more than happy to help out around the property occasionally. It can be frustrating when you need to do something that would normally be a small job for two but a real headache by yourself.