Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Fish, Laughs and a Christening up the creek!  (Read 8237 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Fish, Laughs and a Christening up the creek!
« on: November 13, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »
I received a PM early this week from Andrew (A.Marshall) who is attending a 50th Birthday Bash at Glass House Mountains tonight wanting to see if I wanted to meet up and have a flick early this morning. I contemplated for a few days to where we should fish and devised a plan. I decided after a bit of research to fish the upper reaches of the Coochin for Bass before the sun got too high in the sky and then venture towards the mouth near the junction of the Coochin and Mellum Ck on the very last hour of the low tide for a Jack or two, returning upstream after the tide had turned. Easy paddling!

I invited Scott, a good mate of mine to join the party and after receiving a phone call last night from Ben and Nath, who were also planning to fish the creek today to my surprise, just wanting to know of a good launching site, so a 5am meeting point was made for all 5 parties and we were on the water by 5.30am. A few laughs were had just launching as the site is quite steep.

Heading upstream with five yaks on the water in fairly skinny water was interesting but we soon sorted ourselves out stretching along the creek when I came to a favourite snag of mine where I found Andrew fishing surface as he told me of a couple of strikes he just had. I couldn’t resist and proceeded to bang in a few casts from the other side to where he was fishing when my lure got slammed. I managed to get the monkey off my back using a 65mm Barra Classic shallow diver.

About five minutes past when I had heard a message that got past downstream and around a bend from yak to yak informing me that Andrew had got a good Bass, Christening his new yak. Well done mate!

Unfortunately the fishing was tough throughout the day especially when we ventured downstream where we found the water tanned and dirty. We received many short strikes and hits keeping us interested with Scott unable to bring a fish yak side, however he still had a great day on the water and again learning heaps.

Now for those who don’t know Ben and Nathan, they are two very highly competitive brothers who will have your head aching from laughter before days end. They know how to fish and are great company. To say Ewen Maddock Fish Management’s monthly meetings are dull is an understatement when these pair show up, which is every month. The boys done well between them with a few really good sized Bream caught in which two of them made it to my icebox, a Flathead and a Bass each from memory. I don’t know who caught the most fish but I sure as hell know I got the biggest Bass and that’s all that counts………………..Right???

No Jack were caught but it wasn’t from the lack of trying. We didn’t manage to reach the brackish water as the wind got up, rendering too hard to cast at likely snags further downstream.

Great to finally meet you Andrew and I look forward to our next trip. Have a safe trip home mate!

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • Fish Restocker
  • View Gallery
Re: Fish, Laughs and a Christening up the creek!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:19:42 PM »
Nice report and great pics Dave. Looks beautiful!
Ross

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
 :thanks
for that report.
I've been hoping to do a trip to that bit  of water for weeks now. Been battling a bronchial thing for most of that time and the weather's been rubbish. Its still on top of my list. Mebbe another couple of weeks.
Cheers John.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »
Thanks for a great day out on the water Dave :youbeauty
Looking foward to doing it again sometime soon & I think my bass was bigger than yours ;D

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
Love that jungle vine water entry ;)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 82
  • Liked: 18
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »
Thanks Dave,that brought back some good memories :youbeauty,I used to fish that water back in the late 80's early 90's on foot and from my little tinny.
Great country and I hope it always stays that way.

Paul

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »
Thanks Dave,that brought back some good memories :youbeauty,I used to fish that water back in the late 80's early 90's on foot and from my little tinny.
Great country and I hope it always stays that way.

Paul

So do I mate!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 24
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 06:21:02 AM »
Good onya Dave , Nice read Mate  :youbeauty
cheers AL

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »
Haha... love the photo of nath fishing a lure out of the tree. He was fishing several fish from the depths of the under water versions on sunday.  That report will be up tonight. unfortunately with out any photos, as they are all on Nathans phone.

Bracey, will hopefully be getting to a EMDFM meeting soon. work has been just killing me. Will be up with the boys again in a couple of weeks, will have to hook up and go for a fish.
And might i add good luck at breaking the triple doughnut streak at mondy this weekend. Awoonga in 2 weeks for me and the boys  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »
Haha... love the photo of nath fishing a lure out of the tree. He was fishing several fish from the depths of the under water versions on sunday.  That report will be up tonight. unfortunately with out any photos, as they are all on Nathans phone.

Bracey, will hopefully be getting to a EMDFM meeting soon. work has been just killing me. Will be up with the boys again in a couple of weeks, will have to hook up and go for a fish.
And might i add good luck at breaking the triple doughnut streak at mondy this weekend. Awoonga in 2 weeks for me and the boys  :youbeauty

Hey Jacko,

Nath rang us on Sunday night and told me about the the sessions they had, I look forward to the report. It doesn't get much better than that.

Yeah mate Mondy has rocked me through winter this year. I'm hoping to get up there this weekend. Depends on the family committments. Sure as hell I won't be coming home until I get one boat side if I do decide to go.

Catch up soon!

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 10:36:10 AM »
Yeh i was sitting in the zuk with him and ben. He failed to mention that nearly all the fish were caught on surface.