Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Cichlid pests  (Read 6334 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Anywhere
Cichlid pests
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
Getting rid of tilapia.. every fish counts I guess..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Cichlid pests
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:24:06 AM »
I like fishing for tillies, they go very hard, not to many others target them, no greenies sooking about photo's of dead ones.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:42:42 PM »
I agree, tilapia's are quite the fighters, I guess it relates to their ability of surviving harsh surroundings, this one was a stonker, 45cm and a few good lbs.  I bury them to avoid birds and whatnot coming along and ripping the fish apart, causing the eggs getting into the water.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
I bag them up and deposit them in the bin next to the ramp at North Pine Dam. my usual tilley hunting grounds.
Apparently we (PRFMA) have a letter members can carry (from fisheries) which allows us to take them to the dump ourselves, (as its the members who empty the bins anyway)  I just never remember to ask for it at the PRFMA meetings,I dont get to to many, missus works those nights.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:48:03 PM »
Right, never heard of the papers but that will be convenient for anglers who want no fuss with the council on tilapias and im guessing other specimens too  :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 31
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: North Queensland
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »
Good stuff...

I enjoy targeting plenty of them whenever I can here...  They are infesting many of my favourite tarpon hang outs, and over the weekend I confirmed that they have made it into what I had thought to be a near pristine waterway where they live side-by-side with jungle perch and mangrove jack.

They can be especially spooky, but have caught them on conventional and fly tackle (poppers, little soft plastics, woolly buggers, gurglers), and agree that they put up a good fight.  They can be exceptionally spooky, but when they are on it is difficult to get the fly/lure past them.

Except for the law I would have been tempted to take saturday's fish home as the water there was clear and flowing strong.  As it was I disposed of it as high up as I could.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »
I bag them up and deposit them in the bin next to the ramp at North Pine Dam. my usual tilley hunting grounds.
Apparently we (PRFMA) have a letter members can carry (from fisheries) which allows us to take them to the dump ourselves, (as its the members who empty the bins anyway)  I just never remember to ask for it at the PRFMA meetings,I dont get to to many, missus works those nights.

Not a letter a General Fisheries Permit allowing PRFMA to have them in the bin and a member to have dead Tilapia in possession from bin to disposal point.
Not a pleasant task having a black plastic bag of days old stinking vermin in the back of your ute. 

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
Better than the back seat of your car on a hot day.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 6
  • Kayak fishing nut.
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Dumaresq River
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:08:16 AM »
Good stuff...

I enjoy targeting plenty of them whenever I can here...  They are infesting many of my favourite tarpon hang outs, and over the weekend I confirmed that they have made it into what I had thought to be a near pristine waterway where they live side-by-side with jungle perch and mangrove jack.

They can be especially spooky, but have caught them on conventional and fly tackle (poppers, little soft plastics, woolly buggers, gurglers), and agree that they put up a good fight.  They can be exceptionally spooky, but when they are on it is difficult to get the fly/lure past them.

Except for the law I would have been tempted to take saturday's fish home as the water there was clear and flowing strong.  As it was I disposed of it as high up as I could.

Lots of them up there. When freshwater creek flooded, the barra would sit at the mouth and feast on Tilapia. The jacks and barra seem to keep the numbers under control though.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »
Good stuff...

:thumbsup In asia tilapias are considered a delicacy, even just pan frying will get the juices flowing out from these fish. I caught this one on a 1/8oz hard plastic swim bait, and the fish hit when I was least expecting it.  :youbeauty