Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Brisbane River from the other side  (Read 15016 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Brisbane River from the other side
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »
Now that the waters there are dropping it might be time to get that buffer back into the lakes. Another bad weather pattern & we'll have no buffer with the lakes over full.

Fitzy
On the radio news at 4pm today [Sat] they said the gates were opened and expected to have the full available flood protection back by about Wednesday ....so assuming the report is accurate that buffer will come available as you suggest.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
"Fernvale has been forgotten by the media coverage"

I was surprised to see the FACTUAL reporting on 9 coverage, that said "the towns of Lowood and Fernvale were being inundated due to the high levels of water being held BACK by Wivenhoe Dam which was at 193% capacity"
had me worried for a while, I thought maybe the dam wall had slid downstream while no one was looking  :o.....bloody reporters and their researchers, never let the facts get in the way of a GOOD story  :-\

Brad

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »
Understandable I guess. Things would have been different if the fuses had of blown out of Wivenhoe... there would have been nothing left of Fernvale & Lowood with an 8 meter wall of water on top of the rest coming down...

Overall, I recon the media did a great job of reporting the disaster. It brought a focus & attention to it than no other way could; probably saved lives!! Also the support coming would not be the same if there'd only been a short clip on the 6 oclock news.

I've been in Sydney working since before the worst hit. The TV coverage here was universal 24/7. I went to bunnings in Gosford, they were doing a fundraiser for the flood relief. Went to Coles, same deal. The Woolies were taking donations & matching it. Folks were talking in the streets here about the destruction & loss of life...without the media coverage none would have known the extent of the damage.

My sisters place has been destroyed. Yesterday an army of volunteers (family & friends) showed up, stripped all the ceilings, walls, carpets, kitchen, bathroom, cupboards & washed out the floors; got it back to a bare hull in a little over 4 hours. Then those same people moved onto the next place. The whole estate looks like a war zone, but not a govt person to be seen expect for at the road block going in, & they were SES volunteers who were stopping everyone going in...so the volunteers dragged equipment on foot to get in there.

Top marks to them IMHO.  :thumbsup

Fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »
Just updating from Sweetwater Lodge in Lowood, as no power in Fernvale yet.  Energex put in a Generator yesterday to run the houses, but it blew up during the night.  Not sure if it's fixed yet.  Drove to Toowoomba this morning to make sure Pam could get through OK tomorrow.  Unbelievable sights on the way.  Came back via Lake Clarendon and Coominya, over for a sticky beak at Big W and back to Coominya to Lowood.  A lot of ADF guys checking culverts and bridges everywhere.  The new bridge at Patrick Estate over the LOckyer was 7 metres underwater.  The houses from that bridge out to the turnoff to O'Rielly's weir were inundated.  Even some of the High set homes had water upstairs.  Lowood to Fernvale is still closed and under water.  At this end it is nearly up to the bike way.  Fernvale markets were still on this morning, as there is power to the main street.  We got water back last night.  Seeing the piles of possessions along the roadside makes me realise that what happened to our joint is nothing.  The options at Wivenhoe wall were looking very grim and a 2.00 am they opened all the gates as far as they could, knowing what the consequences would be.
Fitz, I've heard the weir and bridge are still OK at Mt. Crosby.  The house over the road on the little hump had 6" of water through it.  The water was almost level with the top of the Sewage tank.  There was only a few inches stopping water from spilling over the Wivenhoe wall.