Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Winter fishing  (Read 12407 times)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Winter fishing
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
The grass is starting to crisp up and i personally think the first frosts arent far away, The bass here have gone shy and have had thoughts of trying to jig schooled bass in the winter (Maybe) So what is everyone planning on doing during the cold ? i know a few people swear by first frosts for yellowbelly and cod if you can brave the weather.

Surely not everyone will go salt after bream ?

Steve

Ocean kayak Scrambler 11

Professional yob

Donut King

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Winter fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:55:09 PM »
The grass is starting to crisp up and i personally think the first frosts arent far away, The bass here have gone shy and have had thoughts of trying to jig schooled bass in the winter (Maybe) So what is everyone planning on doing during the cold ? i know a few people swear by first frosts for yellowbelly and cod if you can brave the weather.

Surely not everyone will go salt after bream ?

Steve

For me, winter time is big bass time. The big bass lakes are the place to be........ Lakes Somerset, Wivenhoe, Glenbawn, Samsonvale, Barambah, Boondooma, Moogerah etc are well known producers of big winter bass. Generally speaking the larger lakes that have Bony Bream produce the best from May thru to October.

First frost = Cod on the chew. I heard that alot when I was a bit younger. I might be a bit of a dummy at times, but IMHO the best cod fishing is when the snakes wake up (spring time). If you want to go chasing cod in brass monkey country when the grass is crackly, go your hardest, I'll be chasing lake bass (leaving the wild ones alone in closed season)

Rustwater fish? Blasphemy Steve......  :walkplank If you can't drink the water, don't trust fish that live in it.   ;)  :popcorn)

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »
Hahaha ahh you can be a laugh sometimes  ;D Moogerah was on the cards for jigging and trolling there has allways been a fair few boneys in there.

Haha i know saltwater is only good for one thing rusting/corroding good fishing gear !

Come on dont be shy !

Steve

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 6
  • Kayak fishing nut.
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Dumaresq River
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
The cod were on fire over easter out here. Not sure if that will continue as it gets colder, we've had 7C nights recently though. It's 12C while I'm posting this (8:30AM).
I'll be back up in Yeppoon mostly rusting my fishing gear away. I haven't found any really worthwhile sweetwater up there yet.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: around Sunny CQ
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »

I'll be back up in Yeppoon mostly rusting my fishing gear away. I haven't found any really worthwhile sweetwater up there yet.

I have been hearing plenty of reports of lots of barra being caught in Alligator Creek near The Caves. And one report of a large Saratoga caught there also.

I still haven't caught either in this location. Could be worth a look if your looking for sweetwater.

Also lots of barra in Tilpal Creek on the Stanage Bay Road. Good Fun.

Cheers
Jono 

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any dam
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:29 PM »
For me winter is the time my hunting season slows down as its too bloody cold, the dirtbike sits in the corner as when riding it freezes ya ba... off so i try get back out on the water more. Im with fitzy on this 1. Big bass will be on the menu. I think 2 dams will be my pick. Somerset and boondoomba. Both these lakes have produced during the summer and i think will continue. Every where else just doesn seem to be as good. I like to fish when the suns up on the water and the bass are schooling. Bring on some big bass this winter i say.

I seem to be having a good run a leslie but so if i get the courage to venture down there and freeze my arse off i might try for a cod there. Even glenlyon might be on the cards. Plenty of rum will be needed down there but at night.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »
Jordo dont be discouraged in winter for chasing dogs tho allot of activity with breading and young dogs is starting to happen all over.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any dam
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »
Yer bushwacker dogs are moving around a fair bit at moment and fair few been howling. Seen 3 different dogs all up last weekend while hunting. All would of been withing 70m. 1 big black dog i would of liked to of had a crack at as he was massive but there was a stag roaring above me on the ridge and i was keen to check him out. Get back out to some blocks over the next couple months when i can and get a few.
I seen another dog run over a ridge while mustering Monday and another on the track on the way out at 1 our paddocks i just remembered. Plenty of the bastards around.

I Didn do as much fishing as i would of liked last year as i had missus but since i got rid of her, :walkplank this winter im keen to get back on the water and get me some Big bass and a cod. :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
Hey Steve,
Bugger the Bream mate, I think it's time chase a few schooled up Bass in the impoundments. Also I'm looking forward to defying the frosts and going after Cod and Yella's.
Cheers,
John

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:56:57 PM »
Sounds like big bass are the trending thing for winter then  :youbeauty As long as its cold enough for the lake lice to P$ss off and get calm enough conditions i think ill be spending allot of time on moogerah dam looking for them, There are ALLOT of boneys there you just have to walk along the dam wall and look down to see schools and schools of them.

So should we make a thing of looking for schooled bass or be lone heros ? I personally dont enjoy fishing as much unless i have someone to laugh at and return the favour   :P   :popcorn)   :walkplank

Steve