Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Nymboida River- Buccarumbi to Jackadery  (Read 12815 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Nymboida River- Buccarumbi to Jackadery
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
Hi guys,

Has anyone on here done this trip? I am after some details of rapids and if it is a silly idea to take my Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5ft on this trip. I know that this stretch of river is known to be a white water area but I am hoping I will be able to portage around any rapids I come across. There is 3 of us going and only one of us has a white water kayak.

I'm not interested in the rapids but fishing so any tips will be great.

Thanks,

Jasper

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Nymboida River- Buccarumbi to Jackadery
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
Mate I once rafted the Nymboida from Platypus Flat down to the Little Nymboida, and trust me you do not want to run it in a fishing kayak. This is very tough water particularly when it's flowing well. If you drop in at the Canoe Centre you should be OK from there though. There are some amazing pools of big water in the Nymboida and it should be great fishing. You could launch at Nymboida itself just below the Coaching Station. Should be better there, put you'll need to organise someone to meet you down stream, and don't travel alone.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
Not a trip to do in your yak unless you are willing to do 20 odd portages. Guide that Brad posted will give you some idea, some are nasty multiple stage grade 4 even the grade 2 stuff would be a challenge in your yak. Have done this in my Minnow with 2 mates in a plastic B line canadian 4days 3nights. Very nice country not a lot of Bass upstream of Jackadery.............

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
Well that was the most amazing trip I have ever done!!!

So many rapids (Mostly class 2 with a few 3 & 4) I ran a few good rapids in my Native Watercraft. It was very out of place but dominated the run! All except one of the hour long portages over jagged rocks and slippery pools.

We used the Mann river caravan parks service to shuttle up to Buccarumbi and left our cars at Jackadgery. The trip took 4 solid days of paddling and portaging.

Every day at 4pm we would get a huge storm that would stop any progress. The second days storm gave us golfball sized hail. I managed to get my hammock shelter up just in time but the other boys got stuck in a 1 man tent with sleeping bag over their heads... 

Now onto the fishing!
I wasn't expecting much fishing on this trip, but wow! 50m after the launch site I threw a small spinner out the back and trolled for 50 seconds. BANG 50cm Cod. I couldn't believe it... I released and started over again. Less than a minute later 45cm Bass... By now the other guys had taken off 100m ahead of me because they weren't there for fishing, so I held back the urge to fish and caught up to them. The trip was pretty much like that the entire way, I would throw out a sneaky line and within seconds I had another fish then the catch up paddle.
There was no snags in the water at all. I trolled every type of lure you can think of and didn't lose any, and best of all, every lure worked!
During the night when we had eaten and set up I would walk down to the river and cast all the lures I don't usually have any luck with. Every cast and every lure caught a bass! I did manage 1 small cod on a popper at night as well.
On the third day I found the first submersed tree of the trip. I couldn't resist getting it on film so I asked my mate to film the first cast into the branches. As predicted I had a cod on the first cast, as I was bringing it in I look down and there was a Cod at least 2x the size trying to boof the lure out of the mouth of the other cod. I landed this one and it went 68cm (*PB*).

In total I fished for 5 hours over 4 days of this trip and landed 56 fish.

I will be back to do a week long fishing trip on this run. It was a fun mix of adventure, rapids, long runs, fishing and camping.

WARNING! It is a tough river and not for a gentle paddle and fish... Especially at low levels like we had.

:thanks

The Portage that took an hour

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »
Beautiful looking country, would love to see more pictures.  :thumb Sounds like a great adventure was had by all.  :tick

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 67
  • Liked: 4
  • Custom Lure Technician
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Anywhere there are fish to be caught!
Nymboida River- Buccarumbi to Jackadery
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 08:35:51 AM »
Awesome trip mate!  Good to see the mariner pulled through as well. Nice job with all the fish too. I'll bet you'll have a smile on your dial for ages. You can be my tour guide next time!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
Great report and some nice pics, good that you were not put off and did it. With the total closure in Cod breeding season now can only get better. One of the best wild river runs preserved for the future.