Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Mary River cod fingerlings.  (Read 20049 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
Re: Mary River cod fingerlings.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 05:22:46 PM »
From memory back in may

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
Nope, can't find a JP post, that's been deleted.  You're not thinking about Sooties are you?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 07:41:01 PM »
Sweetwaters replies are right on the money.

Agree that fisheries need to be involved with sourcing brood stock.

No mater what permits are issued, it is too late now to obtain brood for this season. This would need to be done early in the new year.

Hatcheries need to be closely monitored with their brood stock, and should be dealt appropriately and fined if these fish are harmed, die etc. These brood stock do not belong to the hatchery. It would actually be appropriate in my opinion if they are charged for the fish in the first place, gives them some ownership of these fish. Numbers need to be capped and not a free for all to get brood when ever they want.

Agree with Dale in regards that SiP monies can not be wasted or spend willy nilly on MRC. However, groups like Sommerset Wivenhoe and other A few other SIP groups have become lazy. More effort needs to be done promoting what the group does for the environment and effort needs to be put in raising money outside of the SIP so fish like MRC / Toga / JP's and the like can be seeded back into the systems including rivers.

What else, keep the discussion going..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »
I'm not sure how you can accuse SWFSA of being lazy.  We are there to stock Somerset and Wivenhoe.  That was ou initial charter.  People have suggested other things, however when it comes time for people to put their hand up to help they always seem too busy.  If people want to restock the world with MRC, have at it, but don't expect the busiest yet possibly least manned group to do it.  You have seen the number of members who volunteered to run the past Kayak/canoe comps, at a very large cost to themselves.  Unfortunately they saw it as a largely thankless task that really didn't do much for the actual fishery but caused huge stress levels on a few people.  Year after year, struggling to find new members, and then trying to con someone to hold an executive position has got to the point for myself, that I really shouldn't be involved with the group at all because everyone seems to have an opinion on how the money should be spent, but nobody will stick their hand up to raise the money.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »
 :OffTopic) This getting of the topic, but I think that some stocking groups are very pro-active in their community exposure; running BBQs, raffles & Art Unions at hardware stores, tackle shops, stalls at local shows etc. This is a win / win in that there's as much benefit in this type of activity for public exposure & new member recruitment than just the money that is raised. I'm probably as guilty as anyone of not trying to do more of this type of thing & I know its a cop out, but with kids work etc I've got very few weekends left in a year to do this type of thing. Still not good enough & yep probably a bit lazy of me compared to the fund raisers we used to do years ago, I'll give it some thought to address this.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
Sadly Fitz, you know there will be very few people volunteer to help you.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 09:02:44 PM »

As for cowboys do you not have to possess a collection permit to collect brood stock and would this not be regulated by fisheries,
Cheers
Ray
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »
Basser

Think my post has been slightly taken out of context to what I was trying get across.

By having very large potholes to look after, SWFSA is going to be busy, and your right, it's the same people all the time that do the heavy load.

Promoting what stocking groups do gets people interested, keen and wanting to join.. therefore many hands make light work.

I think Euan Maddock people do a good job of it and there are other groups as well that do it well.

Some discussion around this at the next meeting? Maybe target the Fernvale Markets?

And more than happy to help at anytime doing what ever is needed, being selling raffle tickets, cooking snags or peeling onions if I am available. Like all work commitments make it hard at times (here I am now in gundi for the week) and other family commitments can get in the way, but with an agenda, a calendar and will to make it happen it will.

It's all life as a volunteer right. It's not a paid job, well publicised or the like and comes with little help or appreciation....and yes it all cost us the individual a few pesos every bloody time....but we keep turning up for anther go. And that is the glue that keeps us together and wanting to make it happen.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 10:39:54 PM »
Acquiring the brood stock could be as easy as DAFF or Seqwater picking out a few from their next electro fishing foray from the Middle Brisbane. This section of the river gets plenty of fishing pressure anyway, a few pairs aren't going to be missed. Each major Wivy spill event seems to re-seed the river anyway.

As for the cod's ancestry from these parts............they could have a bit of everything in them. :o

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 10:42:35 PM »
From memory back in may

Ray, I saw that thread you are talking about. It only lasted about half a day, you linked a news article about GC JPs.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »
Ray, I saw that thread you are talking about. It only lasted about half a day, you linked a news article about GC JPs.

There was no info in the post itself, it was just a link to another website which was about a Jungle Perch caught on the Gold Coast. Hold on the conspirancy theories, the post was removed because it had no content other than a link to a commercial website which doesn't have a return link to sweetwater, nothing more, nothing less.

Here's some pictures by Mick Horn the angler who caught the JP. We contacted Mick at the time & he shared the location for our database, but that info will not be shared here as we promised to keep it confidential.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 09:14:36 AM »

Considering the endangered status or MRC its is a hard decision whether to take broodstock for producing fingerlings or to leave them alone to maybe recruit naturally.
Seeing the apparent losing battle in the Mary catchment there is a very strong case to expand the production of more fingerlings and looking at the record of the 2 existing hatcheries there is a strong case or allowing more hatcheries to produce fingerlings.
My personal opinion is that similar to the JP program it that they should be reintroduced back into waters where they previously existed and once established then closed seasons re examined.
From memory both existing hatcheries have lost broodstock in the past and do not have a recent good record of producing fingerlings,
One of the existing hatcheries is a commercial operation so why the opposition to the allowing new producers?
Fisheries already regulate the number of broodstock of the new operator is allowed to possess
Nothing to stop the existing hatcheries replacing their broodstock from dodgy locations.
 Definitely a case for fisheries to at least oversee and tag broodstock and electrofishing would be the least invasive method
. I know of at least one pair that were electrofished and released in an area where they would have had very little chance to recruit and 99% chance of ending up in a white bucket.
Should the broodstock collected out of the Mary catchment be DNA tested to ensure that they have not been contaminated with murray bloodlines .
I think that most existing stocking groups are very conservative  with allocating where their monies are spent, and the only group that are actively wishing to heavily stock marys is the LAFMA who at present do not receive any sip monies. With wyaralong being only a new dam they have a vision of this dam becoming a premier mary dam in the future and have a heavy fundraising program but are frustrated by lack or a reliable reasonably priced source of fingerings.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 09:52:07 AM »
Considering the endangered status or MRC its is a hard decision whether to take broodstock for producing fingerlings or to leave them alone to maybe recruit naturally.
Seeing the apparent losing battle in the Mary catchment there is a very strong case to expand the production of more fingerlings and looking at the record of the 2 existing hatcheries there is a strong case or allowing more hatcheries to produce fingerlings.
My personal opinion is that similar to the JP program it that they should be reintroduced back into waters where they previously existed and once established then closed seasons re examined.
From memory both existing hatcheries have lost broodstock in the past and do not have a recent good record of producing fingerlings,
One of the existing hatcheries is a commercial operation so why the opposition to the allowing new producers?
Fisheries already regulate the number of broodstock of the new operator is allowed to possess
Nothing to stop the existing hatcheries replacing their broodstock from dodgy locations.
 Definitely a case for fisheries to at least oversee and tag broodstock and electrofishing would be the least invasive method
. I know of at least one pair that were electrofished and released in an area where they would have had very little chance to recruit and 99% chance of ending up in a white bucket.
Should the broodstock collected out of the Mary catchment be DNA tested to ensure that they have not been contaminated with murray bloodlines .
I think that most existing stocking groups are very conservative  with allocating where their monies are spent, and the only group that are actively wishing to heavily stock marys is the LAFMA who at present do not receive any sip monies. With wyaralong being only a new dam they have a vision of this dam becoming a premier mary dam in the future and have a heavy fundraising program but are frustrated by lack or a reliable reasonably priced source of fingerings.

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 02:56:28 PM »
If anyone is interested and would like all the many questions asked in this thread answered then come up to the hatchery for a visit. I am very busy here currently 24/7 by myself, happy to talk while I work.