Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Taylors to triumph or be done by a Disq?  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Taylors to triumph or be done by a Disq?
« on: November 25, 2010, 01:41:21 PM »
The barra tournament scene doesn't seem to hold much interest for anglers other than the competitors.
But as this years goings-on reach a climax on Monduran, eyes are glued to the results board.

For yet another year, the amazing Taylor twins have suffered a Melbourne Storm-like ignomity.
Disqualification - and the total loss of points for the round. One venue of the four selected for the series, that is.

Yet on the eve of the final round we see one of the twins - joined at the brain, I'm sure - in the lead and
his half-hour younger brother well within striking range. Both a coupla fish away from an amazing achievement.

(at some stage I hope they acknowledge the role of Johnny Mitchell and his coaching in getting so far)

So, a thrilling climax? Betcha. A testiment to their skills and mental toughness? Absolutely.

I'm curious as to why they were disqualified - and not for the first time. Yep, those boys should know better by now.
But was this the action of an official enforcing the rules? Or a complaint from other competitors?

In other words, dobbed. If so, would that act be of some advantage to those concerned?

If to do with distance or speed - as I'd imagine - what qualifications exist for making such estimates?
A radar gun, a range finder? What?

In any court or tribunal hearing such matters, the burden of proof lies with some calibrated instrument, not a human estimate.

I guess it'll all come out in the wash.

The tournament people would realise how a lack of transparency can impact on confidence and image.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 94
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Stuarts Point, NSW
Re: Taylors to triumph or be done by a Disq?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »
yeah harro they were dsq for fishing inside the dam wall exclusion zone at teemburra.  this dsq is more than fair, lucky they did not get a hefty fine from both water authority and enforcement.  there has been a fair amount of other rumours floating around about the awoonga rounds, but i will leave that for someone else to raise.

cheers
kh

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:44:44 PM »
Thanks Kurt,

All the barra lakes have no-go zones at the water towers and the wall.
Where they are indicated by markers and someone is fishing inside the line
the issue gets to be a bit more clearcut.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 02:51:14 PM »
Kurt's correct Rod, fishing inside the bouy line at Teemburra this year, I think last year was exceeding the 6 knot speed limit on Teemburra, or was that the year before.  One thing, the boys sure can fish.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »
Champions often push the rule book to its extremes. They changed the NRL rulebook twice to curtail Langer's game (ball stealing & the cumberlain fling). He was renown for pushing the boundaries.

If you bend the rules, be prepared to accept it when you go too far.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 94
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Stuarts Point, NSW
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »
i agree, they are still the best duo on the barra tourno circuit, and to be able to perform on all impoundments they fish, is evidence of their skills.  i agree with all of the above comments.  this becomes a safety issue when there is soo much piss flying over the dam wall, and i guess it would not loook good with the yellow tinnie going with it.

cheers
kurt

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »
I guess there is a fine line sometimes especially with speeding and such.  Getting caught in a no fish zone would be difficult to defend but when your focused and working hard to win a tournament like it is easy to image how a mistake like that could be made without realising.  They are only young blokes.

How did the results go for that comp?  Did I see or read somewhere there were only the 6 fish caught for the whole comp.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:16:08 PM »
from what I heard -  all were told at the briefing of the exclusion zone due to water going over the wall  .... other competitors complained that the Taylors were fishing inside the zone and hence the disqualification.

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »
Normally a topic like this I wouldn't give a toss about but it makes ya think about how many fishos fish as far away from a dam wall or no fish zone etc as possible. Interseting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »
DOH!!!  How hard is it to stay out of exclusion zones?  Its a no-brainer. Everyone knows where the line is. (Or should)
From what i hear the Taylor boys dont need to sneak over the line to steal a dam wall neandertol. Disqualification should be thier prize. It may deter them and others not to push over the boundries in their quest for a win.

Randall.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 08:46:29 PM »
Just had a coupla blokes straight from Monduran call in on my campfire.
To quote one, verbatum - "Two kids in a tinny beat all the big flash boats."

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 09:12:40 PM »
Speaking as one who used to milk the cows.  Once the agitating is done cream always rises back to the top.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
Taylor’s in a Tinny, Streeted-the-Skeeted 5 Years in a Row!!!

Kerrin Taylor has won the ABT Champion Barra Angler of the year for the 3rd time. 
It’s the 5th year in a row a Taylor Brother (Cy or Kerrin) has won the Champion Angler award after the whole tour is completed.

The Taylor’s in a Tinny also streeted-the-skeeted as a team for the 5th year in a row.
They remain Unbeaten in year ending competition results for the 5th year in a row.

They are the number 1 and 2 prize money earners on tour.

Their fish per hour ratio’s are lower than many would have predicted possible a few years ago.

They have won tournaments on the northern and southern tour proving fish catching ability on dams located hundreds of kilometres away from their home turf (Dams).

They have won televised competitions (AFC) even when split up and placed in separate boats for events where every second of their fishing is filmed.   

The brothers have won tournaments on cold, rainy and windy winters days as well as in spring and summer proving fish catching ability all year round, something that wasn‘t believed possible by many fisherman only a few seasons ago.

The Taylor’s have proved without doubt 5 years in a row that the link between guiding research and development and tournament wins is alive and well.  Other place getters are also proving this.

All this has been achieved in a boat no bigger than a 12 foot tinny against a field of skeeters. This success was achieved amidst the ever increasing cut-throat attitude in competitions where some will use podium finishes as a platform to launch a Baby Starlo Career Path, yet others use it as an opportunity to catch-up socially with mates and a few just go about their work quietly.  It’s a diverse mix of people having fun each year.

Next year the boater non-boater rule comes into play and the Taylor’s will be split up, closing the book on this 5 Year Unchallenged Chapter.  We will never find out just how long this team could have kept winning.  This also affects other boats where friends have fished together for the last 5 years.  They use the event as a social catch-up each year where their annual leave is saved for the tour etc.

There will be winners and losers as a result of this rule change.  The losers being many of the winners and some guides hard earned research and development.  This will benefit the bottom half of the field maybe more than the top. The changes also raise some interesting questions regarding future competition strategies such as; 

“Will some 60k Skeeter owners park their boats in the shed and turn up as non-boaters to glean some hard earned tips?”

“Will the Taylor’s have to drive 2 cars and 2 boats for the whole tour doubling their expenses?”

“Will mates that have fished together on the same boat for 5 tours (Sharing costs) turn up again next year as a boater non boater to fish with strangers?”

Anyway there are exciting times ahead from a fishing evolutionary standpoint.  Hopefully it’s as exciting as the Taylor Era of the last 5 years.  Congratulations must go to the ABT and AFC for providing competitions where Taylor-Talent & fellow competitors talent could be unleashed.

Congratulations to Cy, Kerrin and the Taylor family for what you have brought to impoundment barra fishing in the last Five Winning Years. 

I wonder what the next 5 years will bring?

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year Everyone,
Lyndon.